Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Macro Lens question on focal length

  1. #1

    Default Macro Lens question on focal length

    Can any seniors tell me whats the difference between a 100mm and 50mm macro lens? If both of the lens takes an object at 30cm from it, what will be the difference? (assuming 1x magnification on lens)
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

  2. #2
    Member LexLim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gombak
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Don't think that a 50mm would have a 1:1 reproduction if an item's 30cm away from it.

    Focal length just increases the working space you have between your subject and your camera, provided that both lenses are at their minimal focus distance
    Nikon D60|18-55|55-200|105 f/2.5 ai|35 f/1.8|
    My Flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chuanzuya View Post
    Can any seniors tell me whats the difference between a 100mm and 50mm macro lens? If both of the lens takes an object at 30cm from it, what will be the difference? (assuming 1x magnification on lens)
    LexLim already answered both your questions.

    The other thing that is worth noting is the depth of field. The 100mm lens will have a shallower depth of field than the 50mm. For macro shots, you will want the photos to be sharp and since you're so close to your subjects, you will have to stop down your aperture (use a small aperture size. ie. larger f number) to have enough depth of field to capture what you want in focus. With the 100mm lens, you will have to stop down more than you need to stop down on the 50mm lens to get the same depth of field.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    icic thks for the advises.. would you recommend a 50mm or 100mm for insect macro?
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

  5. #5
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chuanzuya View Post
    icic thks for the advises.. would you recommend a 50mm or 100mm for insect macro?
    100mm the least for a dedicated macro lens for bug photography..
    Else 50 reverse or with a close up filter
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  6. #6

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chuanzuya View Post
    icic thks for the advises.. would you recommend a 50mm or 100mm for insect macro?
    Depends on what cam body you use : FF? APSC? 4/3?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Depends on what cam body you use : FF? APSC? 4/3?
    APSC bro
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    the most important difference is the angle of view

    the 50 mm has a wider angle of view than the 100 mm

  9. #9

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chuanzuya View Post
    APSC bro
    100 should have more comfortable distance to shoot insect (1:1 magnification means more close up). But do take note of longer FL you need higher shutter speed to avoid camera shake (if you hand held and do not use flash). And sometime difficult to achieve as you stop down aperture to get deeper DOF

  10. #10

    Default Re: Macro Lens question on focal length

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    100 should have more comfortable distance to shoot insect (1:1 magnification means more close up). But do take note of longer FL you need higher shutter speed to avoid camera shake (if you hand held and do not use flash). And sometime difficult to achieve as you stop down aperture to get deeper DOF
    thks for the advice bro, will either use a tripod or fill flash for bigger lens..
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •