Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help in choosing Uni course..

Quote Originally Posted by tert
    Hi Wryer,

Congratulations on making through the A levels... This marks the start of the many decisions you'd have to make as you go through the years of your life (the next would probably be whether or not you should powder your (ahem ) before going to sleep in your army bunk.

My two cents worth to aid (hopefully) in your decision making processing:

First, it appears that you did not do much 'science' courses @ the As and have left out 'science based' disciplines in your choices. That makes the decision making much easier. It essentially eliminates all science/engineering/comp studies/med/dentistry etc from your list of probable.

Second, the only options open to you (at least from NUS) can be classified into professional degrees and general degrees. Professional being Law and Arkhi; General being BRE, Bus, and Arts. I would like to think of the professional faculties giving you a 'sort-of' definite path into the respective industry according to whatever you've been trained in. This has no bearings though on whatever you would like to enter THAT industry, leave after a few years or do a mid-career switch.

The rest of the world can be regarded as general disciplines. General in the sense that having read a couple of sociology courses will not make you a sociologist, modules of economics not make you an economist (unlike that reading law makes you a blood sucking, major PITA ***yer ). General degrees typically allow you more flexibility and gives you a broad based typed training; its more for the process of getting an education rather than preparing you for a specific task in the end. Unfortunately, unlike in the US where a liberal arts degree is respected for its broad based approach to education, the lack of specificity in general degrees makes their graduates less sought after.

Having said the above, if you're looking for a general education, think of the disciplines that would interest you (it doesn't matter if you realised it doesn't interest you anymore when you're reading it cuz you can always switch/drop/quit after a year). Think of the industries that you may like to enter after you graduate, and decide on the disciplines that may give you a general training in that direction.

If you're looking for professional degrees, that its a misnomer. But bear in mind that its your life; education no doubt is an expensive investment, but you may be one who is fortunate enough to switch to something else that you like.

Hope the above helped...

Hey tert! Thanks man.. its does help. Now...lots of advices spinning in my brain! Ha..thanks guys.

Tert: Yeah, i did leave out the science courses because i have really not much interest in there when i was deciding 2 years ago.

The industries that interests me are the newspaper (print-media) industry and probably the urban planning industry. One worry i have on Comms Studies is that i may be limited to the media world, Can someone try to knock the conception off my head?

May i know if im heading in the right direction? And are there any courses that might aid me in my path?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Wryer
    The industries that interests me are the newspaper (print-media) industry and probably the urban planning industry. One worry i have on Comms Studies is that i may be limited to the media world, Can someone try to knock the conception off my head?
    To reinforce what i had said about the versatility of general degrees:

I can think of four Comm Studies friends whom i know, of which three are rather close friends.

The first two started a event management company and operated a cafe. The third entered the media industry for a year before quitting and doing ad hoc media projects; diversified into wedding photography, and now in cambodia doing community projects, waiting for further directions. The fourth and the most promising in school, doin some ad hoc designing work and committing the rest of his time writing a book...

Well, seems like those from CS are the most interesting of the lot. If you've the courage and the freedom to do what you like.

i recommend doing what you do best and follow your interests. Singapore doesn't need more mediocre lawyers, engineers, managers, doctors etc. its needs good anything ... ie good photographer, good doctors, good cafe manager etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tert
    If you've the courage and the freedom to do what you like.
    sigh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12