Thread: Telephoto Lens Tips

Default Telephoto Lens Tips

Hi,
    I am looking for a decent telephoto lens..
    I heard much about Canon's 70-300 isn't really a good buy.
    So I would like to ask if there is anyone who used these following lens ?
    Canon's 70-300, Sigma's 70-300 APO, Tamron's 70-300 LD.
    Also, I wonder does anyone used or using Vivitar Series One Telelens before ? MF/AF Would like to hear some comments..
    Thanks in advance !

Many people say the Sigma 70-300 APO is a great lens optically. I have only held it once. It's small and light and zooms quickly. But I've no idea about the optical quality.

Tamron 70-300 LD 1:2 tele-macro is good!

You can view some sample shots of mine here
    http://magixshoe.clubsnap.org/gallery/EOS10D

under animals, birds and some of the insects in the insect category are taken using this lens

Quote Originally Posted by MaGixShOe

under animals, birds and some of the insects in the insect category are taken using this lens

I like the butterfly shots - they are very clean but the bokeh not so nice - must be the lens lar....... just some questions, did the flash affect the butterfly and make it fly away? Where did u go to snap these beautiful creatures? Also why did u choose to use ISO400? Is it bec of the fast shutter speeds?

anyway, can I have permission to use one of them as background wallpaper for my PC desktop? Thanks!

Thank ! Nice gallery you have there

I wonder is there any Vivitar Series One Users out there ? Would love to hear about their comments too

TME: yup, just dwl them from my website and use for your wallpaper. PM me if u need a slightly bigger resolution

I use ISO 400 because the morning light isnt strong enough, with my 180mm macro lens i need a faster shutterspeed to handheld it. They are either taken at Botanical gardens or Alexandra hosiptal butterfly trail

TME: yup, just dwl them from my website and use for your wallpaper. PM me if u need a slightly bigger resolution

I use ISO 400 because the morning light isnt strong enough, with my 180mm macro lens i need a faster shutterspeed to handheld it. They are either taken at Botanical gardens or Alexandra hosiptal butterfly trail
    For the shot AH 030304 could i have a high res shot. I'm using a 19" monitor so my res is 1280*1024. Thanks! Email to me at mingern@singnet.com.sg or PM with attachment if possible. Thanks!

Anyway, Alexandra Hospital got butterrfly trail?? Free entrance?

Hi MagixShOe, Wehn you are using flash insect photography, did u use the the normal flasy gun or the macro ring flash as suggested? BUy the macro ring flash cost a bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    Hi MagixShOe, Wehn you are using flash insect photography, did u use the the normal flasy gun or the macro ring flash as suggested? BUy the macro ring flash cost a bomb!
    I am using a normal flashgun (Sigma EF500).

TME: that file name is not precise... there is a no. behind it

Hi Magixshoe, v nice galllery, have some questions hope u can help me.

1. how come the info for ur shots displayed as, eg
    Focal length: 218.0mm (35mm equivalent: 1773mm)
    How can 218mm focal lens become 1773mm 35mm equivalent?

2. saw a lot of ur shots for birds using flashes. What can the flash enhance, color and brightness? and how far can ur flash reach out since u using super telephoto lenses......

Thanks so much!!!

hmm.. Think its better to talk using PM if got any questions. Not so nice to hog up other ppl's theard

Quote Originally Posted by force
    Hi Magixshoe, v nice galllery, have some questions hope u can help me.

1. how come the info for ur shots displayed as, eg
    Focal length: 218.0mm (35mm equivalent: 1773mm)
    How can 218mm focal lens become 1773mm 35mm equivalent?
    Seriously, I have such problems swallowing such ridiculous data but because this is a translated data read from the original EXIF data from the image file, there can be errors introduced somewhat.

Just ignore it. Know the "focal length multipler" of the camera and just do the maths yourself. Anyway it isn't very important.