Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Horrendous + Horrific night shoot attempt

Angry My 1st Horrendous + Horrific night shoot attempt

After experimenting various testings/shootings ( based on suggestions from threads and magazines ) on different speed,aperture and iso, I came up with this few errrrr.... "lookable" shots as compared to the rest. All this taken without a tripod but my main concern was the settings that I used. I felt that my pics are quite badly taken. What weng wrong ?

p.s... Sori if my pics make you guys .. errr, nausea, high blood, heart attack.....
    Last edited by Photoholic; 5th February 2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D l EF S18-135 IS

Default Re: My 1st Horrendous + Horrific night shoot attempt

yr basic composition is not even there.

pls give some thot before squeezing the shutter..

but ok lah..i still kept my lunch.

Composition and exposure is bad. Not sure how to help you. May be go attend some art lessons?

Looking at the photos, settings should be the least of your worries (for the time being). For one, if you haven't got a tripod with you, no settings (correct or incorrect) will help.

The photos are badly presented and there is little or no evidence that showed they were thought through and taken with a design intention. In short, these photos are merely snaps with little photographic merit.

Read up on the fundamentals. Look at photos others had taken previously and learn from your errors. You are essentially looking one of the factor which contributed to bad photos but not all the critical ingredients needed to make a good one.

Messy, your photos are quite messy. There are too many things (distractions like rails vehicles, banners) in your photos. Ultimately we cant really tell what you wish to show.

Work on your composition, think of what you wish to show in the photo, focus and press the shutter....its not really that hard, will need some time and experience....

Nevertheless, continue shooting, you will improve in no time.

Get yourself out of the, "take snap shot" way of thinking. Read up on composition.

For night shots, you really need a tripod.

Thank you guys for the advice.

Was too focus on "fumbling" and trying out settings till I forgot everything on the composition and presentations. Will read on more stuffs on these and practice again.

Meanwhile, keep the critics comin
    Canon EOS 7D l EF S18-135 IS

You really can't work on one thing and forget about the rest. What good would having the perfect settings be if the composition is not well designed?

Yes work on your composition, think about what you want to present in the picture and not just random snapping of anything and everything that you see.

A suggestion though, start with P mode. Once your are better with composition and more familiar and comfortable with the camera then work with S, A, M modes

brother, work on composition, dun have everything captured in a shot. Get the focal point, den apply rule of third if needed. As a start try not to take so many objects, focus on working with simpple shots such as a statue, or a tree. Get a right angle where ur object can be seen, no background distraction etc. Hope this helps
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

Need to work on composition dude... fundamentals man...
    Too many distracting elements and no clear subjects..
    Suggest doing some read up ..hmm.. like the below

HTH man
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

I think it is a very valiant effort on the TS to show off his photos.

For most newbies, they are afraid to put up their pictures as they do not want to be shot down too much.

It is easy to pick up a camera and snap everything that the eyes see, but what is lost to most people is how to tell a story with a picture. Yes, his pics may not have composition, but I suppose not everyone is talented in that sense ... I failed all my arts classes right from primary to secondary school! So don't ask me to draw a person cos you'll only get stick drawings from me.

Back to his pics, maybe about time for the TS to save up for a tripod. Maybe he can consider scouting at the upcoming PC show in march to see what might be available in the Tripod dept, as I saw a booth selling both tripods and bags at the last show in december.

Maybe to help him, in picture number 1, he could have included into his viewfinder the hustle and bustle of people in the street scene where the hung decorations were snapped.

Numbers 2 and 3 are not horizontally level, as can be seen from the fence.

Number 4, maybe he should have moved his position to just in front of the God of Fortune, or just crop that.

Hope this will be of some help.

Cheers and don't stop shooting!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Hi, to me, you have no idea as to what to shoot, therefore when you see something that looks interesting to you, you hit the shutter button.

Example #1 > the lights attracted you, but you failed to notice the distracting buildings in the background. You could have moved on to a higher ground & shoot straight at it or shoot down taking together with the crowd walking below & here you can even show some movement blurr to show the hustle & bustle of chinatown during CNY.

#2 > It is a busy street, you could have waited for the bus to pass 1st or move to higher ground so that you don't take in the traffic.

There's a bridge there that give good vantage point. Try shooting from there.

Hope you understand all the comments given here by the CSers & hope your next outing to chinatown will be better
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Photoholic View Post
    After experimenting various testings/shootings ( based on suggestions from threads and magazines ) on different speed,aperture and iso, I came up with this few errrrr.... "lookable" shots as compared to the rest. All this taken without a tripod but my main concern was the settings that I used. I felt that my pics are quite badly taken. What weng wrong ?

p.s... Sori if my pics make you guys .. errr, nausea, high blood, heart attack.....

which jokers or lame magazines teach you not to use tripod for night scene shoot?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    which jokers or lame magazines teach you not to use tripod for night scene shoot?
    His lens has IS leh...
    Kit will probably remember one thread about a month or so ago, debating the merits of tripod vs IS... hehehehehe...
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    His lens has IS leh...
    Kit will probably remember one thread about a month or so ago, debating the merits of tripod vs IS... hehehehehe...
    IS? VR? not powerful enough lar....

get this, sure don't need tripod liao..

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Looks like TS can push the iso further. The pic looks clean.

eating cup noodles while looking at yr pics ..

at least u tried ... good attempt
    冰時 | timefreeze

Blog Entries

pls move thread to appropriate sub-section in Galleries
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

gd try and keep trying
    dnt give up
    keep it up:thumbsup
    :