Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: lens recommendation

  1. #21

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by yc2005 View Post
    A good combo would be 18-55 + 55-250. Covers a wide range.

    However if your prefer an all-in-one package get the 18-200 or the Tamron 18-270
    I was thinking of getting on for my next holiday trip, so I can travel light with my family...Now my question is this, when you put brand aside, which is actually a better choice in terms of speed & sharpness?....

    Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270?
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    I was thinking of getting on for my next holiday trip, so I can travel light with my family...Now my question is this, when you put brand aside, which is actually a better choice in terms of speed & sharpness?....

    Canon 18-200 or Tamron 18-270?
    So pricing/cost is no consideration?

  3. #23

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    So pricing/cost is no consideration?
    Lets just presume for a moment here that pricing is not the determining factor here which would you choose?

    or there is something better out there
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    Lets just presume for a moment here that pricing is not the determining factor here which would you choose?

    or there is something better out there
    Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object.

  5. #25
    Member axis90x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In your dreams
    Posts
    1,385

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    canon 17-40 f4L ~
    Moments

  6. #26

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object.
    I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the most expensive is not the best option...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  7. #27
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the most expensive is not the best option...
    he's actually being specific... It's not a generalisation "more expensive = better"
    The canon 18-200 IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the Tamron 18-270.
    So now... do you know which lens he's referring to with the phrase "get the more expensive one"?
    Exploring! :)

  8. #28

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    he's actually being specific... It's not a generalisation "more expensive = better"
    The canon 18-200 IS MORE EXPENSIVE than the Tamron 18-270.
    So now... do you know which lens he's referring to with the phrase "get the more expensive one"?
    Ohh...But I'm also being specfic...I believe a simple search will reveal the price difference between the 2 Lens. I don't need you to tell me, the Canon cost more...

    So my question is, which is better & why?

    I guess I should rephrase my answer for clearer picture: "I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the more expensive choice is not always the best option, may I know your point of view as to why your preference to Canon? Is it reliability, quality...?

    Lastly, pardon me if I don't speak the Queen's English, Old Fart here didn't receive much education during younger days...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  9. #29
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    Ohh...But I'm also being specfic...I believe a simple search will reveal the price difference between the 2 Lens. I don't need you to tell me, the Canon cost more...

    So my question is, which is better & why?

    I guess I should rephrase my answer for clearer picture: "I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the more expensive choice is not always the best option, may I know your point of view as to why your preference to Canon? Is it reliability, quality...?

    Lastly, pardon me if I don't speak the Queen's English, Old Fart here didn't receive much education during younger days...
    Ok lets try it again.

    The canon has better build. The tamron also have a weird position in the focal length where the zooming is not smooth. Many people who has both lenses also claim that the contrast in the Canon is better than Tamron throughout the range and is slightly sharper.

    Tamron also has some problems in certain batches with back/front focusing problems, or softness. So if you go for Tamron, be sure to test till you get a good copy. If you end up with a bad copy, calibration will take a while as dealer needs to send it to Japan to get it done, so will take at least 1 month to do. Tamron is cheaper, and has more reach.

    So there. Hope that is specific enough for you.

  10. #30
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt
    Ohh...But I'm also being specfic...I believe a simple search will reveal the price difference between the 2 Lens. I don't need you to tell me, the Canon cost more...

    So my question is, which is better & why?
    I think you misunderstood me.

    Daredevil123 replied to your post with
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Ans: Get the more expensive one if you want a all-in-one lens and if money is no object. "
    to which you replied
    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt
    I beg to differ my friend, sometimes the most expensive is not the best option...
    My point was that he's not making a generalisation that the more expensive lens is always the best option. Between the 2 (tamron and canon), it is common knowledge that the canon 18-200 is the more expensive lens. So he's actually advising you to get the canon, since you said to put cost considerations aside...
    I'm not trying to be a smart-ass and tell you something you already know.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #31

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ok lets try it again.

    The canon has better build. The tamron also have a weird position in the focal length where the zooming is not smooth. Many people who has both lenses also claim that the contrast in the Canon is better than Tamron throughout the range and is slightly sharper.

    Tamron also has some problems in certain batches with back/front focusing problems, or softness. So if you go for Tamron, be sure to test till you get a good copy. If you end up with a bad copy, calibration will take a while as dealer needs to send it to Japan to get it done, so will take at least 1 month to do. Tamron is cheaper, and has more reach.

    So there. Hope that is specific enough for you.
    Thank you for your unbiased opinion between the 2 Lens...I'm now convinced that the Canon is a better choice.

    Thank you again for helping a Newbie out...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  12. #32

    Default Re: lens recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I think you misunderstood me.

    Daredevil123 replied to your post with


    to which you replied


    My point was that he's not making a generalisation that the more expensive lens is always the best option. Between the 2 (tamron and canon), it is common knowledge that the canon 18-200 is the more expensive lens. So he's actually advising you to get the canon, since you said to put cost considerations aside...
    I'm not trying to be a smart-ass and tell you something you already know.
    My mistake then...A thousand appologize...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •