Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this fungus?

Default Re: Is this fungus?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger74 View Post
    How fungus can live inside lens? What do they eat? Glass? That is so bizarre
    http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html

Quote Originally Posted by tiger74 View Post
    How fungus can live inside lens? What do they eat? Glass? That is so bizarre
    fungi feeds on organic material to grow. they do not derive much from the glass coating or the glass but live off organic contamination like oil films or dust on the lens surfaces. the older lenses may contain a cement which is a naturally derived material containing impurities to join the lens elements together. the fungi form webs of white fibures which penetrate into the infected item where they secrete enzymes to digest the material they feed on. often these acids will attack the coatings on the lens surface. fungi also require a certain level of moisture in order to grow. so they can synthesise the water from the oxygen in the air and hydrogen from the organic material. without moisture spores cannot germintate.

just an update , the ebay seller offered a refund , but i guess i'll keep the lens anyways. should be good for a bit of play at the very least.

thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post

3) most effective method is exposure to strong sunlight or UV light. so you can try sunning it or bring it to the toilets of clubs where they have comb disinfectants using UV light.
    kayheem - it is definitely not outside, i have tried wiping it away with cloth and e2 solution, not vanishing, and it should be below the surface based on eye.

pokiemon - yes, i read that i should do that...... london weather next few days:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8

no joy........

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    just an update , the ebay seller offered a refund , but i guess i'll keep the lens anyways. should be good for a bit of play at the very least.

thanks all.
    Free soft focus effect on portrait

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Free soft focus effect on portrait

well, need to find a way to quarantine it somehow, maybe with ziploc in the same dry box would help.

Blog Entries

kayheem - it is definitely not outside, i have tried wiping it away with cloth and e2 solution, not vanishing, and it should be below the surface based on eye.

pokiemon - yes, i read that i should do that...... london weather next few days:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8

no joy........
    Knowing UK weather this time of the year... not much sun dude.

Looks like the fungus is just starting to grow. You might want to try disassembling the lens and cleaning it yourself? Since it is not expensive anyway.

Blog Entries

well, need to find a way to quarantine it somehow, maybe with ziploc in the same dry box would help.
    Ziploc with silica gel, by the window to catch some sun. That might work better.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Knowing UK weather this time of the year... not much sun dude.

Looks like the fungus is just starting to grow. You might want to try disassembling the lens and cleaning it yourself? Since it is not expensive anyway.
    i know how to open up manual lenses

this lens scares me, got so much circuitry when i just popped up the rear mount for a quick look.......

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ziploc with silica gel, by the window to catch some sun. That might work better.
    hrmmmmmmm. well, the heater's on, so that means humidity in the room will be low.

the sun though, that's the problem. i was expecting to shoot tomorrow, we haven't had sunshine since last week one day, where i managed to grab maybe 2 or 3 shots. running dry for apad soon...........

Blog Entries

hrmmmmmmm. well, the heater's on, so that means humidity in the room will be low.

the sun though, that's the problem. i was expecting to shoot tomorrow, we haven't had sunshine since last week one day, where i managed to grab maybe 2 or 3 shots. running dry for apad soon...........
    ahhh.. APAD... I have not even contemplated starting one for the new year. Haven't shot seriously in a while now except for my recent trip. Maybe it is time to start it up again.

No problem, you can pass it to me anytime.

nightmare... are you sure that is not ALGAE?

Nightmare, here's something for you..
    http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00OjOb

As Jed and Pokiemon mentioned, you can try killing the fungi with enough exposure to UV but it wont clean the stain left behind

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    No problem, you can pass it to me anytime.
    you crack me up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    nightmare... are you sure that is not ALGAE?
    LOL

i'll be sure to ask the seller if she put it into a fish tank

Quote Originally Posted by geekbrains View Post
    Nightmare, here's something for you..
    http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00OjOb

As Jed and Pokiemon mentioned, you can try killing the fungi with enough exposure to UV but it wont clean the stain left behind
    hmmm, looks inconclusive on effect of uv

especially with that microbiologist's opinion.

You did not sent to AVA for quarantine. Now that you have imported fungus, must pay $12 for AVA inspection. Next time tell the seller must apply for phyto cert too.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    You did not sent to AVA for quarantine. Now that you have imported fungus, must pay $12 for AVA inspection. Next time tell the seller must apply for phyto cert too.
    london boh ava!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Send to AVA wait AVA fumigate your lens. Den die liao.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast