Thread: India Railways Online Booking of Tickets

Default India Railways Online Booking of Tickets

Have anyone successfully booked Indian railway tickets through the internet before?

http://www.irctc.co.in/
    I keep getting an error message during payment.

"You Were Trying To Use icici Payment Gateway And The Transaction CouldNot Proceed Due To Communication Problem ."

Also, are there other methods of securing tickets prior to reaching India itself?

Default Re: India Railways Online Booking of Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Have anyone successfully booked Indian railway tickets through the internet before?

http://www.irctc.co.in/
    I keep getting an error message during payment.

"You Were Trying To Use icici Payment Gateway And The Transaction CouldNot Proceed Due To Communication Problem ."

Also, are there other methods of securing tickets prior to reaching India itself?
    I dont know how ur query is linked to Photography, but let me try to help u... I remember getting that error quite sometime ago.

Try this:
    1. If u r using Netscape/ Chrome/ Mozilla, use the latest Internet Explorer version ( I usually use Chrome for its speed, but sometimes it does behave funny, and IE is functionally useful then)
    2. If u r using AmEx, try Visa/ Master. I think AmEx (AmEx Singapore at least) is painfully paranoid about its security for whatever it's worth. Last time while booking an airticket for India from Singapore on a standardAirlines website they kept auto-blocking the payment from their end. When I called the airlines guys they (rightfully) blamed the AmEx gateway / server. I had to call AmEx here in Singapore who essentially said that they do this kind of (weird) blocking to prevent fraud esp. when the server demanding payment is outside S'pore. They finally released it for me. The whole hassle wud hv permanently deterred a person booking online for the 1st time.
    3. Sometimes it cud just be the internet connection, in case u r using WiFi from some remote corner at ur home.
    4. I am not sure, but I think using some other gateway like Citi shud also do.

Hope this helps.
    5DMkII+BGE6|24-105L|100-400L|100/2.8LMacro|50/1.8II|580EXII

You are right. Nothing to do with photography. But thanks for helping.

Not much luck with the online booking still, its ok, think i settle it when I reach India.

hi ahbian, i'm heading to india next week too, booked my train tickets through Cleartrip http://www.cleartrip.com/ Trust me, it's a whole lot easier to navigate and use then the official indian rail website.

Quote Originally Posted by atomboy View Post
    hi ahbian, i'm heading to india next week too, booked my train tickets through Cleartrip http://www.cleartrip.com/ Trust me, it's a whole lot easier to navigate and use then the official indian rail website.
    Wow. My friend managed to secure some tickets for our first leg after many tries with http://www.irctc.co.in/.

But your site looks promising, will give it a try. Thanks!

You are going off to India also? Cool, I'm going to India this Wednesday for five weeks, main area would be Rajasthan.
    Last edited by ahbian; 14th February 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Wow. My friend managed to secure some tickets for our first leg after many tries with http://www.irctc.co.in/.

You are going off to India also? Cool, I'm going to India this Wednesday for five weeks, main area would be Rajasthan.
    5 weeks ? WOW. Can't wait to see your captures.

I am sure you would've done your research well. In Rajasthan, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Mt Abu, Chittorgarh are my favourites (missed Ranakpur and Nathdwara for lack of time). If you are into birding, you can visit Bird Sanctuary at Bharatpur. Hope you can spend the most time in Jaisalmer. Its awesome. Take the desert safari, and spend a night in the desert. You will enjoy it a lot.

All the best, dude.

PS : I've never booked tickets through the Indian Railways site, so even though I saw your earlier post, couldn't help much. I do know that the site is one of the more difficult websites to use.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    5 weeks ? WOW. Can't wait to see your captures.

I am sure you would've done your research well. In Rajasthan, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Mt Abu, Chittorgarh are my favourites (missed Ranakpur and Nathdwara for lack of time). If you are into birding, you can visit Bird Sanctuary at Bharatpur. Hope you can spend the most time in Jaisalmer. Its awesome. Take the desert safari, and spend a night in the desert. You will enjoy it a lot.

All the best, dude.

PS : I've never booked tickets through the Indian Railways site, so even though I saw your earlier post, couldn't help much. I do know that the site is one of the more difficult websites to use.
    I came across your wonderful Myanmar series, but didn't know you went to India. Did you have a thread on that, would be great for me to get some inspiration.

Eventually, My friend and I decided that we would be traveling with a mixture of hired driver and trains. (Amritsar, Arga, Jaipur, Udaipur, Bundi, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Nawarlgarh and Ranthambore)

Our desert safari was planned to be in Bikaner, though we will be going to Jaisalmer before that also.

My friend will be heading home about 10 days before me, thats when I will squeeze in Nawarlgarh and the Ranthambore Nature Reserves.

So many places, so little time!

I booked my train tickets through http://www.irctc.co.in/ when I travelled from Howrah to New Japalguri and faced the same problem. But it was ok when I used my office pc to do it. I guess it's compatibility issues. You may wanna try booking using another pc.. It worked for me though.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Yup I'm flying to New Delhi this Tuesday, snapped up cheap tickets via Malaysia Air some time back. Will be heading to Agra, Varanasi before detouring back to the Rajasthan area. Hopefully it won't be too rushed and I can sneak in Shimla.

Five weeks?? Man I'm envious. I'm sure you will have a really good time with plenty of photo opportunities!

I came across your wonderful Myanmar series, but didn't know you went to India. Did you have a thread on that, would be great for me to get some inspiration.

Eventually, My friend and I decided that we would be traveling with a mixture of hired driver and trains. (Amritsar, Arga, Jaipur, Udaipur, Bundi, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Nawarlgarh and Ranthambore)

Our desert safari was planned to be in Bikaner, though we will be going to Jaisalmer before that also.

My friend will be heading home about 10 days before me, thats when I will squeeze in Nawarlgarh and the Ranthambore Nature Reserves.

So many places, so little time!
    Actually, have to apologize bro. I remembered this morning that I did book my tickets through the website, with a bit of struggle.

Here's my thread on India.

I just got tired of posting my photos lah, so kinda gave up. There are lots of unprocessed photos still lying in my harddisk. Wanted to update the thread with some travel info, but left that too. Maybe some day I will do that for everyone's benefit.

Anyways, let that be...

Amrtisar is nice, thought not sure of any restrictions in terms of photography. Went there many years back, when I couldn't even handle a camera.

Agra : Not sure where you are staying, but try to reach the Taj at 5AM or so. Be the first one to get the tickets and run inside if you want to take photos of the Taj without people in it. Do note that you can't carry a tripod inside. What a shame !!! And the rascals charge Rs 750 for foreigners for a single entry ticket. If you come out and want to go back in during the evening to shoot the sunset, you'll have to purchase the ticket again

Fatehpur Sikri is nice. Stay there overnight and see if you can get some good shots in the late evening as well as in the morning. I stayed overnight, but didn't have enough time the next morning as I had to rush back to Agra to catch a train.

Jaipur was a disappointment to me. Its a big, crowded, dusty city. And I am not so much a city person. Jaipur is promoted purely for commercial purposes to make it a Golden triangle with Delhi and Agra.

Bikaner is nice if you are into forts (you will have an overdose of forts in Rajasthan) and there is a camel breeding farm too. People go to Karni maata (reincarnation of Goddess Durga) temple (off Bikaner) where there are millions of rats and they are worshipped. I am not so much into rodents, so gave that a miss.

Jodhpur is famous for the Mehrangarh Fort. I quite liked it. Go further to a place called Jaswant thada (pls check the spelling as I could be wrong) from where you get a good distant view of the fort. Check the orientation of the sun and you can get a good sunrise/sunset from there.

Udaipur is nice, but touristy. Don't miss Chittorgarh nearby. Got a good feel to it.

Jaisalmer is the best. Stay the longest there, if you can. The fort is awesome, all in yellow sandstone. Get some night shots when its fully lit up. Go for a prearranged desert safari, so that you will be away from the crowds and won't get hassled by the camel drivers (what else to call them ?) You will get a much more peaceful time and good photo ops.
    There are also some old mansions (called Patwon ki haveli) which have beautiful decorative windows carved out of one block of stone. Awesome craftsmanship.

Haven't been to Nawalgarh and Ranthambore.

Do go to Mt. Abu if you find time. There are some Jain temples (alled Dilwara temples) with some very fine intricate carvings on stone. When I went, they didn't allow photography inside the temples (what a shame).

If possible, get your hotel/hostel to arrange a guide for you in all the places. I find this a good approach to save time and to avoid the hassle of dealing with hawkers and such. Also, they will direct you to good locations for photo taking. With limited time in each location, got to use as much external help as we can

Have a great time in India, bro. I really can't wait to see your photos.

PS : Just re-read your post. Didn't know that there was a desert safari in Bikaner. Not sure about that. But the best sanddunes are viewed at Jaisalmer.
    Last edited by asterixsg; 15th February 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    Actually, have to apologize bro. I remembered this morning that I did book my tickets through the website, with a bit of struggle.

Here's my thread on India.

PS : Just re-read your post. Didn't know that there was a desert safari in Bikaner. Not sure about that. But the best sanddunes are viewed at Jaisalmer.
    Excellent sharing! I think this is what the forum should be about.

For Agra, I'm resigned to waking up at unearthly hours for some days, for early shots of the Fort and Taj Mahal.

The ironic thing is I might be spending more time in Jaipur than Jaisalmer, was trying to time the Elephant Parade and Holi festival in Jaipur, but will take note of your suggestion of exploring the night shots.

From what I read, you were right, Jaisalmer is THE main area for camel safaris, Bikaner is an (much smaller) alternative site.

Hope that when I come back, will have more info to share so that others can benefit like I did.

Excellent sharing! I think this is what the forum should be about.

For Agra, I'm resigned to waking up at unearthly hours for some days, for early shots of the Fort and Taj Mahal.

The ironic thing is I might be spending more time in Jaipur than Jaisalmer, was trying to time the Elephant Parade and Holi festival in Jaipur, but will take note of your suggestion of exploring the night shots.

From what I read, you were right, Jaisalmer is THE main area for camel safaris, Bikaner is an (much smaller) alternative site.

Hope that when I come back, will have more info to share so that others can benefit like I did.
    Glad to help, bro.

Yes, do wake up early to get some good shots of Taj and Agra Fort. As you might've read, night viewing of Taj is only allowed 2 days before, 2 days after and on the night of a full moon. And there is a separate ticket for night viewing. And they don't allow tripods inside, so its quite difficult to get a night photo of the Taj. I stayed at a Government run dump of a hotel called Taj Khema which is 250m walking distance from the Eastern entrance of the Taj (Hotel Sheela is 200m away). The only good thing about it is that it has a courtyard from where you get relatively unobstructed night views of the Taj. (there are some trees etc. that block the view). I stayed for 2 nights there. On the first night, I was too tired and lazy, thought I would shoot the next night. But the next morning, I had breakfast at Hotel Sheela and suffered from a bout of food poisioning. I ran a high fever and was puking throughout the day and into the night. There went my chance of photographing the Taj at night.

If you want to shoot the Holi festival (which is bit like Thai Songkarn and MORE), you better take care of your DSLR. People will throw dry colored powder (they will apply it to your faces and body too ) and splash bucket fulls of water at you. Keep a raincover handy. Or take a big ziplock bag with you, so that you can put the DSLR in it and waterproof it.

Save the best for Jaisalmer. Stay overnight in the desert and shoot star trails. Light paint the sanddunes. Or use the tents in your frame as you shoot star trails. I am salivating at the possibilities now

In order to prevent fine sand from settling into your tripod, here's a tip that I learnt. Take 3 of those plastic bags that our offices/malls in Singapore keep to hold dripping umbrella bags (you will usually find them immediately after it has rained) and use them as protection for the tripod legs. You can carry a few rubberbands to hold the bag tight.

I wish I had lots of money and didn't have to work. I would've joined you on this adventure.

Sorry, this thread has gone off-track. Have fun.