Thread: Cameron Highlands: Birds & telephoto lens

Default Cameron Highlands: Birds & telephoto lens

Hi,

I will be going to Cameron Highlands, Malaysia and will be taking my Canon 24-105 and 100/2.8 Macro with me.

Was wondering whether I shud be carrying my 100-400 telephoto also, coz I heard that there are some beautiful birds too. Weight is obviously my main concern esp. as I wud be hiking/trekking around the Gunung's & parks.

Anybody, esp. birders, with any prior experience or valuable tips on the utility of a telephoto like 100-400L at Cameron?

Thx much.
    5DMkII+BGE6|24-105L|100-400L|100/2.8LMacro|50/1.8II|580EXII

Default Re: Cameron Highlands: Birds & telephoto lens

Quote Originally Posted by surajpshetty View Post
    Hi,

I will be going to Cameron Highlands, Malaysia and will be taking my Canon 24-105 and 100/2.8 Macro with me.

Was wondering whether I shud be carrying my 100-400 telephoto also, coz I heard that there are some beautiful birds too. Weight is obviously my main concern esp. as I wud be hiking/trekking around the Gunung's & parks.

Anybody, esp. birders, with any prior experience or valuable tips on the utility of a telephoto like 100-400L at Cameron?

Thx much.

just bring it,.. otherwise you'll regret at the end of trip, we've almost the same gear except the body and macro lens, so every time I traveled i always bring those gears plus a tripod, i do not want to missed such an opportunity moments,..

I don't think you can do birding effectively with your 24-105, so yes, do bring your 100-400L if you wish to take birds.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I don't think you can do birding effectively with your 24-105, so yes, do bring your 100-400L if you wish to take birds.
    Thanks for the tips guys! The 24-105 if more for the wide/ general shots.

Have any of u guys done birding there? I mean is there enough diversity to justify carrying the weight of 100-400 around! (dont to want to lug it around for just 4-5 birds)

Quote Originally Posted by emorej4290 View Post
    just bring it,.. otherwise you'll regret at the end of trip, we've almost the same gear except the body and macro lens, so every time I traveled i always bring those gears plus a tripod, i do not want to missed such an opportunity moments,..
    Thx buddy.
    I was just wondering whether the weight of the 100-400 is worth, u r asking me to add the tripod as well to the list
    The trek wud only become tougher I guess Is it really worth carrying the tripod up the mountain? (esp. with the pretty good IS on the 24-105)

Talking Re: Cameron Highlands: Birds & telephoto lens

u can always neg to hire a local or someone to carry it for u

Quote Originally Posted by FM2 View Post
    u can always neg to hire a local or someone to carry it for u
    haha ...not that desperate! u make me feel as if I am going for some Mt. Everest base camp trek & shud hire Sherpas!

Was just tapping for some inputs from the Cameron veterans to do my cost-benefit (or rather weight-benefit) analysis.

Just to share with all, I came across this link which might be useful & a bit relevant to this topic.
    http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...hp/t-8576.html
    Last edited by thephotontrapper; 5th February 2010 at 10:58 AM.

BTW, when I did the trail walk in HCM, Vietnam, I find the belt system (eg like thinktank) is good cos it spread your equipment weight around and also for fast shots..I have a bag pack when I carry some dry food and water and my lens at my side pouches. Get a good belt and you dont feel the pain around your waist...

Quote Originally Posted by surajpshetty View Post
    haha ...not that desperate! u make me feel as if I am going for some Mt. Everest base camp trek & shud hire Sherpas!

Was just tapping for some inputs from the Cameron veterans to do my cost-benefit (or rather weight-benefit) analysis.

Just to share wiith all, I came across this link which might be useful & a bit relevant to this topic.
    http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/...hp/t-8576.html

I am not bird observer, and I'm not sure how many type of birds (that will mean special to you) will be available in the jungle. Perhaps do some read up in internet (of people have visited there)?

But for butterfly, there are a lot.