Thread: Metering

Default Metering

Hi
    can any one tell me which type of metering to use?
    what is the different between 3d colour , center weighted and spot.
    when to use it ,why and which?
    Thank you
    Last edited by burnaway; 7th March 2004 at 01:40 AM.

matrix - when u dont have time or dont intend to bother too much about the result and are confident of a reasonably decent exposure

spot - when u want to meter for a tiny spot in the scene. use this to meter for a bright spot i nthe scene which will lead to all else being underexposed => will lead to the typical classic silouette shot. or when u shoot models for portrait then place priority on getting exposure right for the face=> spot meter the face

that means need more more more practice to find the correct expo

Yah, getting correct exposures requires lots of practice when you start going away from matrix/evaluative metering and use centre/spot, cos you are now doing the thinking, not the camera. You know you might have to compensate when in spot/centre depending what you are metering right? Those two metering methods work to give you a medium tone, so when metering something other than a medium tone (such as grass, concrete), you need to compensate. Headache is when you have to guess the amount of compensation needed...

To complicate the matter even further for you, there is multiple spot metering as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    To complicate the matter even further for you, there is multiple spot metering as well.
    are you refering to the center weighted metering

i think our friend kit was refering to the feature found on eos 3 : lets say u r at a scene u like v much , so u proceed to use the special function to spot meter at say 7 different points in the scene then press dunno what button again(didnt use that feature at all, keke) then viola! out comes a "optimally computed exposure value. then u just go ahead n expose the pic at that optimal value. well..in fact i rather use matrix n bracket the scene, faster that way ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    i think our friend kit was refering to the feature found on eos 3 : lets say u r at a scene u like v much , so u proceed to use the special function to spot meter at say 7 different points in the scene then press dunno what button again(didnt use that feature at all, keke) then viola! out comes a "optimally computed exposure value. then u just go ahead n expose the pic at that optimal value. well..in fact i rather use matrix n bracket the scene, faster that way ^_^
    Yeah, this kind of metering is a waste of time! When you finished metering, the skies went dark liao lo!

so sorry only nikon here

Quote Originally Posted by burnaway
    so sorry only nikon here
    You can use the matrix meter if there is not too much whites or blacks. If there are then I would suggest spot. Really depends on how much control you want over your shots. Spot would be best in my opinion.

ok thanks for the advise