Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will you give up a good paying job for a role as a trainee assistant photographer?

Default Re: Will you give up a good paying job for a role as a trainee assistant photographer

Photographic assistant? As much as we hear inspiring stories about how people have followed their hearts and made it big, I prefer to be a bit more pragmatic. In this climate of economic uncertainty, and if you have bills to pay and a family to feed, I'd even go as far to say that it's a bit irresponsible to give up a stable job just to pursue a passion.

However, if you're young, single, with nothing much to lose, then I say go for it.

I would consider leaving my job if I absolutely hate what I'm doing, though...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Will you give up a good paying job for a role as a trainee assistant photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Yes well, maybe razor was going by the average Singapore Weekend Warrior Special rate
    Ahh Jed my old friend perhaps you are right. That rate is called the chump change rate.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Want to bet on that?
    Sir, you pay Sin $4k to your trainee assistant ? Anymore vacancy ?

Yes, with status build up thro years, one can expect to have 15k - 60k per month or even more, but its a long and winding road.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 9th February 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Sir, you pay Sin $4k to your trainee assistant? Anymore vacancy?
    Ian and I were both responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    hahahaha! Photography will never pay as good as your job!
    Ian even quoted that in his response. Note, it doesn't say "photography as a trainee assistant will never pay as good as your job!".

Quote Originally Posted by presstheshutter View Post
    Let's say you are working in a different field from photography and earning >4k per month, would you give up the job, just so you can enter the photography field? Even if it's just a trainee position to become assistant photographer?
    Sure I will to do it if kena $4 million lottery.

Maybe not easily, and maybe it will require talent and hard work in combination, but "never"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Want to bet on that?
    Yes well, maybe razor was going by the average Singapore Weekend Warrior Special rate
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    definitely not for me. unless somehow i lost my cerebral function.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    hahahaha! Photography will never pay as good as your job!
    Hi Guys, I was responding to giantcanopy's post only as I remember that he is holding a very lucrative, stable job. Does not apply to the rest of the thread.
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Sir, you pay Sin $4k to your trainee assistant ? Anymore vacancy ?

Yes, with status build up thro years, one can expect to have 15k - 60k per month or even more, but its a long and winding road.
    My PAAP earns considerably more than 4K SGD a month. She's been with me now for 12 years and is a fully fledged professional photographer in her own right. The reason why she remains is she prefers to work for me rather than take the chances on her own. (sensible gal).

As for vacancies, sorry none available.

60K s month in turnover is easy to achieve, 60K a month take home income is nearly impossible these days unless you are in the top few in your chosen area.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Wow, lucky gal there, with such a generous employer. Think the year end bonuses must be no less than four months. Must be a dream job for many wannabes, but without knowing the toil and sweat behind it.

Ya, did heard about rumours of a top notch photog which with a turnover about $100k per month, but his overhead is averaging $70k per month, what you said is accurate, especially with the current inflation.

Wow, lucky gal there, with such a generous employer. Think the year end bonuses must be no less than four months. Must be a dream job for many wannabes, but without knowing the toil and sweat behind it.

Ya, did heard about rumours of a top notch photog which with a turnover about $100k per month, but his overhead is averaging $70k per month, what you said is accurate, especially with the current inflation.
    We don't do year end bonuses in most professions in Australia. Instead she gets 6 weeks paid leave with a 17.5% leave loading by law. She does get a couple of extra grand at Christmas as I do my bonuses at year end rather than end of the financial year.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123