Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A car shoot at Punggol.

Default A car shoot at Punggol.

Trying out a car shoot at punggol about few hours ago, but I only have 1 image. Should have taken more

1. ISO 100, f11, HDR, CPL.
    Last edited by kohanson; 1st February 2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Canon 60D | EF-S 15-85mm | EF 50mm f1.8 | flickr

Default Re: A car shoot at Punggol.

do a reshoot.

the background is getting much more attention than the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    do a reshoot.

the background is getting much more attention than the car.
    thanks for the comments.. I actually wanted the background together with the car. Maybe I should have abit of bokeh for the background.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanson View Post
    thanks for the comments.. I actually wanted the background together with the car. Maybe I should have abit of bokeh for the background.
    I think if you want the Bg in.. it should be further away. What we are seeing now is neither the car nor the station. In my opinion...it's not a suitable BG too. The car will look so much oustanding with just a never ending road as BG or using the natural assets of pungol like the beach or the lalangs. no offence...my 2 cents

An example shot taken by my friend oso in punggol area ( though i think it'll look nicer if shot in landscape )

Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    I think if you want the Bg in.. it should be further away. What we are seeing now is neither the car nor the station. In my opinion...it's not a suitable BG too. The car will look so much oustanding with just a never ending road as BG or using the natural assets of pungol like the beach or the lalangs. no offence...my 2 cents

An example shot taken by my friend oso in punggol area ( though i think it'll look nicer if shot in landscape )

Thanks for the constructive comments. How do I make the bg further? Should I use a wider lens to make them further, or I should move closer to the car?

Trying out a car shoot at punggol about few hours ago, but I only have 1 image. Should have taken more

1. ISO 100, f11, HDR, CPL.
    actually i think its not that bad IMHO...

Thanks for the constructive comments. How do I make the bg further? Should I use a wider lens to make them further, or I should move closer to the car?
    Looking at your lenses...i think you can do a decent bokeh on the BG with your 15-85 @ 15 to 20mm F3.5 but closer to the car. Keep in mind that ur car is dark in color so you need a more contrasty/brighter BG to bring out the car. The LRT station as BG is defintely out for me!!!

Another sample ( oso punggol )...btw my friend is oso an amateur and shot this with 1000D too !!! However i think he has done some PP on this pic to darken the BG

BTW...i'm not trying to show off my friend's work here but he's the only guy i know that shoots cars and hopefully thru his pics i can give you more ideas....
    Last edited by dev2k8; 1st February 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    Looking at your lenses...i think you can do a decent bokeh on the BG with your 15-85 @ 15 to 20mm F3.5 but closer to the car. Keep in mind that ur car is dark in color so you need a more contrasty/brighter BG to bring out the car. The LRT station as BG is defintely out for me!!!

Another sample ( oso punggol )...btw my friend is oso an amateur and shot this with 1000D too !!! However i think he has done some PP on this pic to darken the BG

BTW...i'm not trying to show off my friend's work here but he's the only guy i know that shoots cars and hopefully thru his pics i can give you more ideas....
    Noted on the points. I chose the LRT station because I was not sure where to shoot and I was looking for a quiet place your friend has some really nice shot.. think I should take a look at more car shots and try out their angles.

I agree with the others... the shot was too wide and your bg actually eat up your car..... too much distractions.... LRT station, lamp post, big blue sky... the attention of the subject is gone u see... but well if it's yr first attempt, no worries just try again and see how others in this forum shoot cars to get an idea. JIA YOU!!!
    Life is like Fotography, you can't develop without the NEGATIVE!

Hi,

I think it was a decent attempt. Clouds were nice and dramatic.
    My few pointers would be:

1. Try to avoid using a black car while learning automotive photography - unless you have controlled lighting.
    2. The background is fine, but the proportion of your subject is wrong, the car needs to be much bigger.
    3. Tilt your camera a bit to get a more dynamic angle and feel.
    4. Watch your light source - the sun in this case seemed to be right on top, which doesn't help in lighting up the black car.

Go try again, sure will be better!
    :: The Definitive Performance Car & Motor Sports Portal ::
    http://www.burnpavement.com

Quote Originally Posted by JT-Fotographia View Post
    I agree with the others... the shot was too wide and your bg actually eat up your car..... too much distractions.... LRT station, lamp post, big blue sky... the attention of the subject is gone u see... but well if it's yr first attempt, no worries just try again and see how others in this forum shoot cars to get an idea. JIA YOU!!!
    Thanks bro, yah, I am very new in this and am trying to learn how to take picture of cars. Thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by burnpavement View Post
    Hi,

I think it was a decent attempt. Clouds were nice and dramatic.
    My few pointers would be:

1. Try to avoid using a black car while learning automotive photography - unless you have controlled lighting.
    2. The background is fine, but the proportion of your subject is wrong, the car needs to be much bigger.
    3. Tilt your camera a bit to get a more dynamic angle and feel.
    4. Watch your light source - the sun in this case seemed to be right on top, which doesn't help in lighting up the black car.

Go try again, sure will be better!
    Thanks for the comments. I only have a black car with me at that time and was trying out my new CPL filter.. hee. I will take note of the points you have raised as I admire the car shots you have posted in all the threads.. that means, for car photography, usually the car will almost fill up 60% of the screen?

Thanks for the comments. I only have a black car with me at that time and was trying out my new CPL filter.. hee. I will take note of the points you have raised as I admire the car shots you have posted in all the threads.. that means, for car photography, usually the car will almost fill up 60% of the screen?
    Well, there is no fixed rule for car size and proportion, but if your car is going to be small (that would mean anything less than 40%), then your background should not be too busy.
    If your car is more than 60%, then by all means, have a busier background eg. buildings, lights, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by burnpavement View Post
    Well, there is no fixed rule for car size and proportion, but if your car is going to be small (that would mean anything less than 40%), then your background should not be too busy.
    If your car is more than 60%, then by all means, have a busier background eg. buildings, lights, etc.
    thanks for the tips and Happy CNY!

thanks for the tips and Happy CNY!
    Happy CNY to you too. Happy shooting!

Just thought i'd share some shots of my first attempt in shooting cars. The location and car wasn't an option. So i had to make do with what was there. Lens with me was the 58 1.4 and a tokina 28 - 70. It was an in prompt two kinda shoot. Images were straight out of the camera. Happy CNY to you guys as well.

S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Anson, the picture itself is OK technically. The HDR made sure the exposures are correct. The only problem I see is that your composition is unbalanced (right-heavy), and that the eye tends to go for the lighter shades first, thus the station would be the stronger POI. Placing the car more on the left side would help. It also helps to use a larger aperture to blur the BG, but guessing by the shadows, a midday shoot like this would not let you get away with large apertures.

k i rarely post on CS but i happened to come across this before heading to the classifieds :P..haha

The BMW and Lancer shoot was BAD for a few very neglected things:

1- Reflections from the tree leaves. It makes the car look VERY messy and it is very distracting.

2- Also, if ur friend PP-ed until swee swee, why did he leave out the reflections of the tree leaves in the windscreen?

Shooting cars not easy - there are large areas to take detail into account.

You have to also think of:

1- Background of contrasting colours - don't let your car blend into the background. Background is also EVERYTHING.

Singapore is HARD to shoot cars because we only have so little options and places to shoot, and urban landscapes pose a huge problem due to reflections.

2- Polarize CAREFULLY - don't totally polarize one side and then forget about the other - you have to strike a good compromise as usually, only one side of the car will be polarized. If need be, use TWO polarizers but beware - mount your camera on a tripod as it will be very DARK. haha

3- Framing/composition WITH the background - so again, location x 3. Background is EVERYTHING

4- Available light - unless you have $20K to spare on VERY BIG lights that can totally cover the entire car, most car photography works with available light. The best time to shoot is either at night, or from 6-7pm - a very narrow window that some like to call "golden hour," where horizontal lighting from the sun does not cause harsh highlights/shadows like the vertical, afternoon sun.

I dug up some simple shots/examples that were shot with a Canon 30D/17-40L + CPL and D300 with a 17-55 + CPL with very light PP (only for sharpening/saturation) very long ago during the normal course of my freelance work. Hope these help.

Last edited by nikolaiski; 14th February 2010 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MobilR View Post
    Anson, the picture itself is OK technically. The HDR made sure the exposures are correct. The only problem I see is that your composition is unbalanced (right-heavy), and that the eye tends to go for the lighter shades first, thus the station would be the stronger POI. Placing the car more on the left side would help. It also helps to use a larger aperture to blur the BG, but guessing by the shadows, a midday shoot like this would not let you get away with large apertures.
    thanks for the comments, I really need to work on my composition for car shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiski View Post
    k i rarely post on CS but i happened to come across this before heading to the classifieds :P..haha

The BMW and Lancer shoot was BAD for a few very neglected things:

1- Reflections from the tree leaves. It makes the car look VERY messy and it is very distracting.

2- Also, if ur friend PP-ed until swee swee, why did he leave out the reflections of the tree leaves in the windscreen?

Shooting cars not easy - there are large areas to take detail into account.

You have to also think of:

1- Background of contrasting colours - don't let your car blend into the background. Background is also EVERYTHING.

Singapore is HARD to shoot cars because we only have so little options and places to shoot, and urban landscapes pose a huge problem due to reflections.

2- Polarize CAREFULLY - don't totally polarize one side and then forget about the other - you have to strike a good compromise as usually, only one side of the car will be polarized. If need be, use TWO polarizers but beware - mount your camera on a tripod as it will be very DARK. haha

3- Framing/composition WITH the background - so again, location x 3. Background is EVERYTHING

4- Available light - unless you have $20K to spare on VERY BIG lights that can totally cover the entire car, most car photography works with available light. The best time to shoot is either at night, or from 6-7pm - a very narrow window that some like to call "golden hour," where horizontal lighting from the sun does not cause harsh highlights/shadows like the vertical, afternoon sun.

I dug up some simple shots/examples that were shot with a Canon 30D/17-40L + CPL and D300 with a 17-55 + CPL with very light PP (only for sharpening/saturation) very long ago during the normal course of my freelance work. Hope these help.
    Thanks for the comments. I used a polarizer but I dont have 2! That day was my first time using the polarizer as I just bought from the mass sale section. Guess I need to work really hard on my composition and have the bg blur for this shot.

don't worry too much about the background blur..that one comes afterwards. the priority should be your composition and WHAT is in the background, along with the available light situation at the time.

For cars, try shooting between f8-f11 if you're on a 1.6 crop camera (30D + 17-40L for me) to get the entire car really sharp. Unless you are doing a full frontal, single plane shot, then a wide open aperture will be good. If not, it's going to be hard to balance the entire car in focus and the background being blur for starters, so that one later lah )

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiski View Post

You need to watch your horizons also. First and last shot are slightly tilted which seems to suggest you were careless, rather than an intentional tilt.

Background-wise you're correct that Singapore has a dearth of good backgrounds to shoot a car in. I only like the first background out of the three that you show. Probably because the last two are shot during the middle of the day and it all looks rather flat and unappealing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast