Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: flash photography and skin tones

Default Re: flash photography and skin tones

Quote Originally Posted by HLZQ4 View Post
    Hi night86mare, just to share my thoughts. If the different lighting ratio is done skillfully, such that a nice contrast is achieved, then I don't think there should be any problem even if one can tell straightaway that flash is being used? Take for example, Joe Mcnally's works?
    ah. yes, i get what you mean by that example. i forgot to mention that i was fine if i could see the purpose for such lighting. sometimes, especially in those examples i had raised earlier, i just can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post

would it be more acceptable if a picture is taken with someone near a small window (but you don't see the window), and the sun highlights the face much more than the rest of the body and give it the same effect? i've seen some pics taken using natural light where the placement of the subject just doesn't look nice.
    that's fine to me, actually, in such a situation you would be able to tell that it's sunlight, i think.

like i've said, i'm fine with the effect if it achieves a purpose. unfortunately, most of them just seem to be mistakes.

it is like ranting about tilted photographs, if the tilt achieves a positive purpose, then i won't be ranting about it per se, would i?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, i would love to hear opinions on why people disagree

i actually want to discuss this, y'know.
    As mentioned, a matter of style and competency level. Nevertheless many trend followers adds to the pile and perhaps lowered the standards.

David Hobby is a trend setter, loads of followers, but not many of his images moves me emotionally, probably because it seems to me he cares more about technique than moments, or feelings. When he does something and blogs it, his followers will try something similar, and he has loads of followers, all at different skill levels.

Like fake tilt shift, we see an increased amount of hobbyists PPing the building shots to look like T/S shots. Thats probably because the recent issues of photography magazines are publishing 'Photoshop tutorials' on it and people does it for fun. Its just like a cheap makeup trend when beauty magazines promotes some weird fake lashes and you see teenage girls wearing those, regardless whether it suit their face shape or not or makes them more ugly.

So whats the deal with them anyway if they flash good or flash bad? Do what you think you do well and people who like your art will like your art.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    So whats the deal with them anyway if they flash good or flash bad? Do what you think you do well and people who like your art will like your art.
    well, if you don't know me, i can get quite anal about things.

so i'm trying to sort this out in my head - if it is acceptable, so that i will know if i should correct it if that problem ever cropped up for my own images?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123