Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: flash photography and skin tones

Default Re: flash photography and skin tones

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh man, yes, that is horrible.

not to mention her feet are as big as her face, that is way too much distortion.
    Haha...just focus on the tone part lah... you!
    Even in a controlled environment with strobes coming from various angles already, there is still this tonal discrepancy.
    So what else can you do? Put powder all over the legs too?
    Bo bian mah, right?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Haha...just focus on the tone part lah... you!
    Even in a controlled environment with strobes coming from various angles already, there is still this tonal discrepancy.
    So what else can you do? Put powder all over the legs too?
    Bo bian mah, right?
    ........ this is light control

there are ways to fill in the legs so that they don't look like they got chopped off someone else's body and got glued onto her.

if you don't know how to control lighting, then my advice is learn and learn, if still cannot, stick to natural lighting better.
    Last edited by night86mare; 1st February 2010 at 12:39 AM.

........ this is light control

there are ways to fill in the legs so that they don't look like they got chopped off someone else's body and got glued onto her.
    Hmmm... I note your point. I am no experienced portrait shooter.
    What more about strobes - these I know nothing of.
    But thinking in my mind, if one has only a single flash light mounted either on the hot shoe or off camera, it is inevitable that there will be difference in tone between the illuminated parts and the not-so-brighty illuminated parts.

So it comes back to your question: is it acceptable?
    My very own opinion is, if it is of no choice, and I have no other ways of over-coming it at the point of taking that shot, then I would just have to accept it.

But thinking in my mind, if one has only a single flash light mounted either on the hot shoe or off camera, it is inevitable that there will be difference in tone between the illuminated parts and the not-so-brighty illuminated parts.

So it comes back to your question: is it acceptable?
    My very own opinion is, if it is of no choice, and I have no other ways of over-coming it at the point of taking that shot, then I would just have to accept it.
    got, if your flash can only light up the face only, then just shoot the face lor.

there are also stuff like reflectors, etc. the amount of tools are limitless. you can even soften the light and spread it out more evenly with diffusers, bouncing, etc........ no one says you have to use direct flash in that manner to give your model a geisha face.

got, if your flash can only light up the face only, then just shoot the face lor.

there are also stuff like reflectors, etc. the amount of tools are limitless. you can even soften the light and spread it out more evenly with diffusers, bouncing, etc........ no one says you have to use direct flash in that manner to give your model a geisha face.
    Yes, indeed.
    Of course, it would be definitely ideal to have all tools available. (Don't ask me how to point the reflector or additional strobes onto the legs to even out the tone. I have no experience here, and would be grateful to be enlightened by any experienced photographers.)

Therefore whether it is acceptable or not would depend on the scenario:

Somehow, if we take for example, one going for holiday, or covering events, or simply just strolling along Chinatown soaking in the atmosphere and suddenly a shot is called for. And one shoots it with the available lighting + flash.
    It would certainly be reasonable to accept whatever tonal flaws under such circumstances.

If I am a fashion photographer shooting for a magazine. Then perhaps the different tones may not be so acceptable in this case, and may need to be further tweaked.

So far, what I have said is reasonable, is it not?

Somehow, if we take for example, one going for holiday, or covering events, or simply just strolling along Chinatown soaking in the atmosphere and suddenly a shot is called for. And one shoots it with the available lighting + flash.
    It would certainly be reasonable to accept whatever tonal flaws under such circumstances.

If I am a fashion photographer shooting for a magazine. Then perhaps the different tones may not be so acceptable in this case, and may need to be further tweaked.

So far, what I have said is reasonable, is it not?
    of course, there are different expectations and standards

you can't really compare say, a family snapshot to remember the moment, to one where you are in a studio and are thus EXPECTED to be able to handle the lighting well.

of course, there are different expectations and standards

you can't really compare say, a family snapshot to remember the moment, to one where you are in a studio and are thus EXPECTED to be able to handle the lighting well.
    Mmm... agree.
    So how to answer your question that is at the core of this thread?
    I am -ing and -ing again, and scratching my head.
    I really have no answer myself, night86mare.

you really want me to get whacked....... to be honest you just look at some popular P&P threads can already.
    oh dear. didn't have to look very far to find an example in P&P. was wondering why the question sounded so.. curious, coming from you
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

If you wanna to be precise, there is also a diff between the face and other parts of the body skin tone becos of the face got make-up.

No matter how good the make-up or how light the make-up, there is still some visible difference. And when you pixel peep, it is even more obvious.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Most would like to see balance, be it color or tonal and natural light can offer that much more easily. For strobist to attain that, it really need skill and patience. I don't do portraits nor good at photography but my comments are based on observations. Surely two areas of light reflection breaks the continuity and hence the balance as well but as for me, I will accept the pic cause my face and body has drastic tones. If I am a professional, I will want to correct that , provided I know how to I learnt something here, great to have TS to start this thread. Thanks !

Would you consider the following as what you are talking about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/3883138966/

This is done by Mr. Strobist - David Hobby.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Would you consider the following as what you are talking about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/3883138966/

This is done by Mr. Strobist - David Hobby.
    yes, i would.

not putting mr hobby down, but the flash usage there is so painfully obvious.

i can see why he wishes to light it up that way though, so to be honest, it doesn't quite fit in entirely.

i don't really get why he has to spotlight the grass either.
    Last edited by night86mare; 4th February 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    If you wanna to be precise, there is also a diff between the face and other parts of the body skin tone becos of the face got make-up.

No matter how good the make-up or how light the make-up, there is still some visible difference. And when you pixel peep, it is even more obvious.
    i think we are more than willing to overlook minimal difference

it's just like PP, it's fine if you do it properly, but when it becomes too blatant and without purpose, it becomes tired and starts looking like a mistake or over-parading.

A matter of taste and preferred lighting ratio. Agree that some of the pics you link is not very good. And so?

There are people who are good, people who are not so good yet, people who like certain things, people who hate certain things.

Whats the point of your thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    A matter of taste and preferred lighting ratio. Agree that some of the pics you link is not very good. And so?

There are people who are good, people who are not so good yet, people who like certain things, people who hate certain things.

The answer's on page 1,

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    If you are nobody, this is call "mistake".

but when you are somebody, it is call "Art"
    EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

oh , ok, like that don't need to start any thread

clubsnap close down, no need to talk about anything

only need to keep kopitiam section open, and anything with an opinion needs to be deleted.

i have a mind, i like to think. i'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

Hi night86mare, just to share my thoughts. If the different lighting ratio is done skillfully, such that a nice contrast is achieved, then I don't think there should be any problem even if one can tell straightaway that flash is being used? Take for example, Joe Mcnally's works?

yes, i would.

not putting mr hobby down, but the flash usage there is so painfully obvious.

i can see why he wishes to light it up that way though, so to be honest, it doesn't quite fit in entirely.

i don't really get why he has to spotlight the grass either.
    I guess in photography, it is subjective. what is nice to one person may not be to another, and each person has a different style too. like for me, i like Joe McNally's work, but i've read of people who don't.

as for DH's pic, he may be highlighting what he wants to highlight... but i guess the question is why? hehe.... i can understand why he would want to light more of the face (like a spotlight effect), but why highlight the grass

would it be more acceptable if a picture is taken with someone near a small window (but you don't see the window), and the sun highlights the face much more than the rest of the body and give it the same effect? i've seen some pics taken using natural light where the placement of the subject just doesn't look nice.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

oh , ok, like that don't need to start any thread

clubsnap close down, no need to talk about anything

only need to keep kopitiam section open, and anything with an opinion needs to be deleted.

i have a mind, i like to think. i'm sorry if you have a problem with that.
    Its not a big problem so you need not say sorry...

Similarly like you, I like to think and while you feel the need to start a thread to voice your critics on poor flash usage by the photographers you linked, I also would like to make a post to say I don't understand why you have to say all this. There are people at all different skill levels and different tastes. I think your just ranting on something you don't like seeing, no one have any problem with that, but don't expect every reply on your thread to be in agreement with you. Otherwise like you said, CS close down. Or don't let anyone post in your thread.

Its not a big problem so you need not say sorry...

Similarly like you, I like to think and while you feel the need to start a thread to voice your critics on poor flash usage by the photographers you linked, I also would like to make a post to say I don't understand why you have to say all this. There are people at all different skill levels and different tastes. I think your just ranting on something you don't like seeing, no one have any problem with that, but don't expect every reply on your thread to be in agreement with you. Otherwise like you said, CS close down. Or don't let anyone post in your thread.
    no, i would love to hear opinions on why people disagree

i actually want to discuss this, y'know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast