Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tripod Socket Stripping

  1. #1
    Member Southbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sunny Singapore!
    Posts
    172

    Default Tripod Socket Stripping

    Hey guys,

    Never really thought about this before, but lately due to the amount of usage of my tripod socket to mount things like Flash brackets and tripod mounting plates and with the regular tightening and loosening of the screws, i've come to wonder if after some time i might get a stripped or worn out tripod socket (Screw hole or whatever you call it). Has anyone had any past experiences with something similar? If so whats the fix? Thanks for the help! Much appreciated ~SB

  2. #2
    Member agws1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North East Singapore
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Tripod Socket Stripping

    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach View Post
    Hey guys,

    Never really thought about this before, but lately due to the amount of usage of my tripod socket to mount things like Flash brackets and tripod mounting plates and with the regular tightening and loosening of the screws, i've come to wonder if after some time i might get a stripped or worn out tripod socket (Screw hole or whatever you call it). Has anyone had any past experiences with something similar? If so whats the fix? Thanks for the help! Much appreciated ~SB
    What you need to do is to go to Reallyrightstuff.com and purchase their full array of clamps and brackets and mount the plates permanently to your camera body.
    Or do what the rest of us do, get it repaired by the agent when the time comes. Really, unless you have one of the cheaper bodies with a polycarbonate tripod mount screw hole, I don't think you will have a problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Tripod Socket Stripping

    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach View Post
    Hey guys,

    Never really thought about this before, but lately due to the amount of usage of my tripod socket to mount things like Flash brackets and tripod mounting plates and with the regular tightening and loosening of the screws, i've come to wonder if after some time i might get a stripped or worn out tripod socket (Screw hole or whatever you call it). Has anyone had any past experiences with something similar? If so whats the fix? Thanks for the help! Much appreciated ~SB
    Never had one fail in 40+ years and with several of my bodies having spent 20+ years being abused professionally they've not stripped either. The actual 1/4" thread is a loose thread to start with so it won't cross thread easily and as long as you keep the tripod's thread cleaned (wipe it out from time to time) it won't wear out for several hundred years of daily use.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tripod Socket Stripping

    I think most tripod sockets are made really sturdy.

    I have not head of one being stripped from normal usage.

    If you find yourself screwing it in and out many times a day, it's time to review your application approaches.

  5. #5
    Member Southbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sunny Singapore!
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Tripod Socket Stripping

    Hey guys, thanks for all the input, very much appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by agws1970 View Post
    What you need to do is to go to Reallyrightstuff.com and purchase their full array of clamps and brackets and mount the plates permanently to your camera body.
    Or do what the rest of us do, get it repaired by the agent when the time comes. Really, unless you have one of the cheaper bodies with a polycarbonate tripod mount screw hole, I don't think you will have a problem.
    Hey thanks man, never considered RRS even tho ive seen em aplenty on mags and on sites. I might just get a plated to socket up perma, and yeah ive been thinking of sending it into the agent to get it dialed if the thread does give. However is it possible for them to get it replaced or repaired? (a little more info, im using a D700, metal sockets). I always thought that the tripod socket was drilled into the body/frame of the camera itself, and therefore replacing it would mean a very costly repair bill.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Never had one fail in 40+ years and with several of my bodies having spent 20+ years being abused professionally they've not stripped either. The actual 1/4" thread is a loose thread to start with so it won't cross thread easily and as long as you keep the tripod's thread cleaned (wipe it out from time to time) it won't wear out for several hundred years of daily use.
    Ohh, thats a relief! Great to hear from a professional's Perspective such as yourself! I just tend to have this habit of keeping things uber tight (paranoia) , never like things jingling or moving when their not supposed to, therefore i started to worry if over time this might pose a problem. Haha hope my setup does outlive me

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I think most tripod sockets are made really sturdy.

    I have not head of one being stripped from normal usage.

    If you find yourself screwing it in and out many times a day, it's time to review your application approaches.
    Yeah i think im gonna stop tightening the screws too far down. Either that or im just gonna socket the bracket there and leave it, a real hassle too toggling between Batt grips, Tripod Plates, Flash Brackets. Thanks man!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Tripod Socket Stripping

    Hahaha, I think there are 2 aspects to this. If you're a pro, earning money out of it, and work your gear on a daily basis, then, by the time the socket thread strip due to wear and tear, either get it replaced or repaired. Fully depreciated liao.

    If you're an amateur, it would probably last till the next generation.

    Guess what, I have the same problem, but it goes the other way: I tightened my ball head to the tripod so tightly and left it there for a few months. Now, the 2 pieces are coupled permanently together - impossible to unscrew it.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •