Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Lens Fungus

  1. #1

    Default Lens Fungus

    What can I use to remove fungus from old Nikon lens.
    I tried using the solution from cleaning kits the fungus still there.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    one of the uncle at those CNY shows advise put insider refridgerator for one week and then thawing the lens for another week. dont know whether it works.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    one of the uncle at those CNY shows advise put insider refridgerator for one week and then thawing the lens for another week. dont know whether it works.
    Wah lau, you're on a roll today.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    What can I use to remove fungus from old Nikon lens.
    I tried using the solution from cleaning kits the fungus still there.
    Get it professionally cleaned.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    What can I use to remove fungus from old Nikon lens.
    I tried using the solution from cleaning kits the fungus still there.
    Either the fungus is inside (very likely) or it has already eaten into lens coating (also likely). Both cases need professional help. Plenty of space between the lens elements for fungus to grow.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    one of the uncle at those CNY shows advise put insider refridgerator for one week and then thawing the lens for another week. dont know whether it works.
    * Clubsnap 2010 - WTH post for week 4
    2nd Prize

    * Clubsnap 2010 - WTH post for January
    Nominated

    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 30th January 2010 at 08:21 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    The only way to get rid of fungus is to dismantle the lens for cleaning. It won't go away by itself and it is serious.

    If you catch fungus early the elements can be cleaned. And its also possible to recoat an element in some cases. But the longer you wait the more the damage. Eventually the fungal waste products will eat through the coating and etch into the glass. Once that happens that element is ruined. There is no cure. I suppose you could pay to have the element or elements replaced, but I suspect that would be an expensive proposition.

    To prevent fungus you should not store cameras or lenses in humid conditions. Air conditioned environments are best.

    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    What can I use to remove fungus from old Nikon lens.
    I tried using the solution from cleaning kits the fungus still there.
    D300/700/3S|14-24|24-70|70-200|17-55|16|14|24PC|28|50|85|105M|135DC|500|18-200|24-120|200-400|T11-16

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Thanks all for the reply.
    The fungus is external and has been there for years, guess it's etched into the lens.
    The lens is ruined then

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    Thanks all for the reply.
    The fungus is external and has been there for years, guess it's etched into the lens.
    The lens is ruined then
    Not all is lost. Scrap the fungi into a bowl and cook mushroom soup. Please take a photo for us all to appreciate your cooking...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Contact Fatigue here on CS.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    does it appear on the end product? if it doesn't, why bother? just an eye sore..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Contact Fatigue here on CS.
    Yeah.. Fatigue, your friendly neighborhood lens repair / cleaning man..!
    N D300 | N D50IR | N80-200mm | N18-105mm | T11-16mm | T17-50mm | SB600 | N MB-D10

  13. #13
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Is the fungus easily accessible?
    If it's inside the lens, then it's a different story

    I'm not accepting any jobs this week.
    but since DM and DS gave the recommendation, yours will be an exception
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  14. #14
    Member Photoholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Around You
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Get it clean by professional if you are not sure.

    else,

    Have a rough idea here

    ..... http://digital-photography-school.co...-my-dslrs-lens
    Canon EOS 7D l EF S18-135 IS

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by memorylane View Post
    Not all is lost. Scrap the fungi into a bowl and cook mushroom soup. Please take a photo for us all to appreciate your cooking...
    I don't cook, but you can have the fungi when they are removed

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lens Fungus

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Is the fungus easily accessible?
    If it's inside the lens, then it's a different story

    I'm not accepting any jobs this week.
    but since DM and DS gave the recommendation, yours will be an exception
    Thanks PM sent

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •