Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 134

Thread: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    have a mac , win and linux at home - my view.

    Honestly , if you are a causal user of surfing net, then any platform works fine. I rather go for platform that works with the application that i am currently using.

    Yes , mac has several constraints that I do not find it in win (vice versa) , and it is overly hyped in many ways (not to mention over price too) and i do not find it significantly faster in graphics publishing. But I love it for its usability package and paying for that "eco-system".

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, you see the error of your logic lor.

    i also never say pc is good, i just say that the mac fanboys like you fail to see that your own logic is ludicrous. best part is, you return it to me thinking that it serves as a refutation.
    Video editing on the macs may not the best and probably it is just the default (I don't know for sure I am not doing it). But being the default presents some advantages. Developers are going to put in more time in creating software for that platform which would result in more people adopting it for their work, which results in more developers adding more tools. So it may not be the 'best' per se, but it would be the least sucky compared to the alternatives. Replace 'video editing' with 'games' and 'macs' with 'windows' and you'll get the same thing.

    Btw, night86mare, I do not appreciate being tagged as a mac fanboy. Disagreeing with you and posting my thoughts does not automagically make me one. You are going to piss off the real fanboys with that attitude. You are in a public forum and I would like to think that respect still applies here. Stick to countering the arguments and please do not take things personally.
    Last edited by jopwork; 4th February 2010 at 12:01 PM.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Think about it, why run bootcamp if it is good enough? Does most PC user uses dual OS?

  4. #64

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Actually when buying a Mac, don't bother spending the 'higher tier' of their products. It so 'sucks' that you will puke twice because 1. It is farking expensive and 2. You are pretty farked when you realised how farked up their 'top tier service' is.

    Why? I had a 24" iMac (the highest spec one some more) and it was so 'sucks' that I puke everyday I switched it on. The monitor is brighter that the sun. You will need a pair of sunglasses to work. Plus you get a nice yellow banding in the middle of the screen. Apple says, within limits. Thank god I sold it off. Problem solved.

    Then I got a Mac Pro (not their sh!tty Macbook Pro laptop hor) to do my work. I thought finally this is it. The chosen one from the heavens. But wait, there's more. Playing a simple audio will cause a performance loss. Apple geniuses say nothing wrong, get lost. Send in again, computer hung while playing audio and right in front of the technician! Got the cheeks to say maybe its Adobe Photoshop CS4 causing the problem. WTF?? How can a super machine like the Mac Pro with super specs cannot play a simple audio file? My CPU was nearing boiling point every time I do audio work. Tech say, ok what. Fark that. So I live with this piece of sh!t because there's no other higher model than this. 5 months and counting and still no fix from Apple. On the other hand, the iPhone got updates like nobody's business even though I find there's no major problem with my iPhone.

    So I got a Macbook white. 2nd hand and old model some more. Everything is smooth like butter on toast. Nice and simple. No problem. Cheaper too. Actually, got one small problem but I am willing to forgive. Battery got really bad cancer that it started to inflate itself. Thank god got free change. If not, I will burn down all Apple's store. Now, I work like its 1980 where multitasking doesn't even exist. Can only do one thing at a time but work still can be done. At least playing audio doesn't boil water. Happy for now.

    Conclusion, don't bother paying the higher end Macs unless you got very very deep pockets and lots and lots of patience. The more expensive the product, the lesser accessories it has. Don't believe me, just drop by Apple store. See if you can find any Mac Pro's accessories at all. The higher end the product, the more problems it have. Don't just see outer casing chio onie means you should get it. Before buying any Apple product, pay a visit to Apple's discussion forums and see which products that sucks the least.

    Morning rant out. Cheers.
    Love the way you have share your personal experience. And by that it is easy to see the kind of person you are and there's a good chance that its more on individual's expectation of a product that determines the experience.

    and in this instance, it seems to me that you are expecting god-like performance/experience for apple's product.

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Think about it, why run bootcamp if it is good enough? Does most PC user uses dual OS?
    Do most PC users dual boot. Not really. Most users does not even know what 'boot' means. :-). I don't believe Bootcamp is being used that much by Mac users as well.

    Bootcamp is just one of those marketing features. With bootcamp, Apple is appeasing to Windows users who are afraid to switch because they don't want to lose all their apps. This explains it better than I can: [http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...00000052.html].

    eliminating barriers to switching is the most important thing you have to do if you want to take over an existing market, because eliminating just one barrier will likely double your sales. Eliminate two barriers, and you'll double your sales again.

    Btw, the article I've linked above is Microsoft's Excel team's strategy for entering the spreadsheet market which, at that time, is dominated by another spreadsheet - Lotus 123.

  6. #66
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    actually i dun see what the argument is about
    use a Mac if you like
    Stick to Pc if u dun like a Mac
    wats the prob?

  7. #67
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    actually i dun see what the argument is about
    use a Mac if you like
    Stick to Pc if u dun like a Mac
    wats the prob?
    Because the topic is a "whyyyy"... *sings to the tune of Annie Lennox*

    I think questions are good. If we stick to status quo and never question, then there is no change. And change is good, else we'd still be using sticks and stones
    We're also sharing ideas because we can never know everything, and we're learning all the time. Someone else may have an idea or information we don't have.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    You are going to piss off the real fanboys with that attitude.
    Fanboys are never viewed positively in the first place...

    Anyway long story short, my school got a new batch of Mac Pros and when students uses it, guess what? They complained that the controls are unfriendly (program being used is Maya 09) and that they have to learn a new set of shortcuts in order to improve their workflow as opposed to the Windows version.

    So if you are going to switch to OSX, be prepared to learn a lot to maximise that purchase of yours. Is the spent money + spent time worth it?

  9. #69

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Oh really? Dang. Looks like the real virus is already getting to the 733t users of the world.

    Never thought I'd see the day the pros will go Mac.
    I guess it's a matter of demand and "supply".

    Btw, back where I came from, Macs use Motorola chips, not Intel. Wonder why they put a PC in a Mac? Hmmm
    Used the Macs since there was a Mac II, and a Mac SE .. the reason why they put a PC in a Mac (you are referring to old PC card that could run Windows right?) is the same reason as why they now put bootcamp.. marketing.... there should be no reason why you need a PC since the Mac can do both (or so they say anyway)!

    I am using Dell, and next to me its a MacBook.. all put in good use.. then again I think both MS and Apple will one day will be surpassed just like IBM never saw what happened to OS/2... It might be Google it might not be, empires tend to be myopic... someday, somewhere, someone will find a better solution... and it will be painted yellow!

    -- marios

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Makanator View Post
    Fanboys are never viewed positively in the first place...

    Anyway long story short, my school got a new batch of Mac Pros and when students uses it, guess what? They complained that the controls are unfriendly (program being used is Maya 09) and that they have to learn a new set of shortcuts in order to improve their workflow as opposed to the Windows version.

    So if you are going to switch to OSX, be prepared to learn a lot to maximise that purchase of yours. Is the spent money + spent time worth it?
    On other end of the spectrum - so are the haters.

    My point is that a computer is just a tool that you would have to be evaluated according to your needs. And since we all have varying needs, it's just reasonable to expect that each of us will choose our own technology.

    In your case, what IF your school started out with the Maya on Macs from the start. Now, after a few months/years learning on Macs, your school suddenly switched to Windows. I think you can still expect students to complain about the same thing. My point is that change is not always easy. Most of the times, change is even hard that people often not look at anything else except the ones that they already know. And it does not matter whether you are switching from Windows to Macs or Macs to Windows. I've even read a lot of anecdotes about Unix users hating Windows or Macs stating that it's hard to use.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    and in this instance, it seems to me that you are expecting god-like performance/experience for apple's product.
    Of course! When you pay a premium, it is preposterous to expect anything less than perfect. If something doesn't work as it should, I expect it to be fixed and not pushed around like dirt for months. Why the hell am I paying more then?

    In case you think I am bullsh!tting...

    Mac Pro audio issues:
    http://gizmodo.com/5463326/nehalem-m...dio-processing
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/02/...in.power.heat/
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ying-audio.ars
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/03/...alem-mac-pros/
    http://www.betalogue.com/2010/01/11/audio-heat/
    http://9to5mac.com/mac-pro-audio-issues-nehalem-3245934

    The problem is still here on my Mac Pro. Still no fix from Apple. 6 months and counting...

  12. #72

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post

    Btw, night86mare, I do not appreciate being tagged as a mac fanboy. Disagreeing with you and posting my thoughts does not automagically make me one. You are going to piss off the real fanboys with that attitude. You are in a public forum and I would like to think that respect still applies here. Stick to countering the arguments and please do not take things personally.
    let's see:

    1) bousozoku said: loads of graphics professionals use mac more than anything else, why won't people use a mac?

    2) i pointed out that logic as being flawed, because it meant that more users = better

    3) you then quote my post and repeat what i said about bousozoku's logic in another way, taking that as a refutation to whatever i'm saying

    4) why should i bother countering my own arguments? oh, this is priceless.......

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Of course! When you pay a premium, it is preposterous to expect anything less than perfect. If something doesn't work as it should, I expect it to be fixed and not pushed around like dirt for months. Why the hell am I paying more then?

    In case you think I am bullsh!tting...

    Mac Pro audio issues:
    http://gizmodo.com/5463326/nehalem-m...dio-processing
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/02/...in.power.heat/
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ying-audio.ars
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/03/...alem-mac-pros/
    http://www.betalogue.com/2010/01/11/audio-heat/
    http://9to5mac.com/mac-pro-audio-issues-nehalem-3245934

    The problem is still here on my Mac Pro. Still no fix from Apple. 6 months and counting...
    Hmm, that's odd? I'm having no issues here on the MacPros and mbp with sound.. yes playing audio does take up some processing but not enough to hang or whatever.. what issues are you actually having?

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    Hmm, that's odd? I'm having no issues here on the MacPros and mbp with sound.. yes playing audio does take up some processing but not enough to hang or whatever.. what issues are you actually having?
    This problem only occurs with Mac Pro using Nehalem chips, early and late 2009 models. Performance loss of up to 20%, power usage spike of 50W and CPU overheating to 65 deg C whenever audio alone is played. Comparing this with converting 700 RAW images in Photoshop Lightroom + stitching a 100MP image in PTGui (both of which are very CPU intensive) only uses 30W of power and CPU stays at 48 deg C max. If that is not a problem, then only God can save me from my woes.
    Last edited by hazmee; 4th February 2010 at 06:09 PM.

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    let's see:

    4) why should i bother countering my own arguments? oh, this is priceless.......
    strange. I'm pretty sure I did not ask you to counter your own arguments.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    strange. I'm pretty sure I did not ask you to counter your own arguments.
    maybe you should go and read all the posts again

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    maybe you should go and read all the posts again
    I said "Stick to countering the arguments and please do not take things personally." You even quoted it yourself. That meant counter other people's arguments - not your own.

    We've taken this way off-topic.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Because the topic is a "whyyyy"... *sings to the tune of Annie Lennox*
    Using the Thread topic as a cue....
    Why do women pay 800 bucks plus for a designer label handbag that was made in china and finished in Italy.... because it's the brand name that counts.

    So you pay squillions for the name, not the contents .. ooh sounds just like the golden arches
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  19. #79
    Senior Member Hommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    Do most PC users dual boot. Not really. Most users does not even know what 'boot' means. :-). I don't believe Bootcamp is being used that much by Mac users as well.

    Bootcamp is just one of those marketing features. With bootcamp, Apple is appeasing to Windows users who are afraid to switch because they don't want to lose all their apps. This explains it better than I can: [http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...00000052.html].

    eliminating barriers to switching is the most important thing you have to do if you want to take over an existing market, because eliminating just one barrier will likely double your sales. Eliminate two barriers, and you'll double your sales again.

    Btw, the article I've linked above is Microsoft's Excel team's strategy for entering the spreadsheet market which, at that time, is dominated by another spreadsheet - Lotus 123.
    Not really, lot of PC users DIY. Me too, I built my own computer. Can you DIY Mac??

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Not really, lot of PC users DIY. Me too, I built my own computer. Can you DIY Mac??
    Can!

    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •