Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 134

Thread: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Plus most other apps run a damn sight faster on an IBM platform.

    Buy a mac and cripple you brain
    Not really.. They're even in terms of speed now but a PC of the same price can't be matched by a Mac in terms of processing speed and power.

    My only qualms with Macs are that they are way overpriced (My 17" macbook pro was US$2199) and that they can't play most games unless you install windows..
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    Not really.. They're even in terms of speed now but a PC of the same price can't be matched by a Mac in terms of processing speed and power.

    My only qualms with Macs are that they are way overpriced (My 17" macbook pro was US$2199) and that they can't play most games unless you install windows..
    If it's overpriced it is not equal in speed for a given price point. Don't forget you can get multiple CPU motherboards and O/S's for the IBM that will blow the flipping doors off any mac at any price.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #43

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If it's overpriced it is not equal in speed for a given price point. Don't forget you can get multiple CPU motherboards and O/S's for the IBM that will blow the flipping doors off any mac at any price.
    That's true. As I said, the only reason in favor of the Mac is Final Cut Pro. And that's specific to the video industry, multimedia and a small portion of photojournalists who shoot video as well.. One could argue that Avid and Premiere are available on windows but Final Cut Pro is arguably the best video editing software out there.. I've only used it a couple of times, a little complicated for me but many video producers have told me it's great. Personally i like Adobe Premiere.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    spore cum indo
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    two things for me, the chioness and OS X. I got a 15" macbook pro rite now and I am planning to build a DIY PC with Macintosh installed. It's not like I left windows entirely though...I still run XP under virtual machine.
    nihon go o hanasemasen ka?

  5. #45
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    "user experience".
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I disagree with the "Always up to date" with the Macs. In some cases, you even need to pay for the updates.

    Or look at the iPhone. It took 3 generations to get features in that other phones have had since 2001.
    What updates? You pay for an operating system release and you get all the updates for it for free. If you're talking about application software like iWork and iLife, they're not part of the operating system, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not true. There are mac viruses already. And it's easiest to hack/phish than most Windows PCs. Especially if you use Safari.
    What viruses? There aren't any. Malware like trojans exist, but trojans require the user to authorize the trouble--like welcoming a robber into your house.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    What viruses? There aren't any. Malware like trojans exist, but trojans require the user to authorize the trouble--like welcoming a robber into your house.
    There are a few hundred Mac specific viruses compared to a few thousand for windows but my MacBook Pro 17' still hangs with that stupid spinning beachball.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Yes Mac is Expensive

    Yes Mac is not fast enough as compare to PC.


    I am sorry but it does sell better when you use Mac product if "appearance is needed".

    I am staring at the computer everyday... so it pays when it looks better right? at least it looks better... hahahahaa...

    Come on guys... it is just a computer system. Buy and use whatever you think fits your budget and your need.

    Anyway... I was a PC user... but no more of that, been using Mac for last 4 years and loving it...

    Hart

  9. #49

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    What updates? You pay for an operating system release and you get all the updates for it for free. If you're talking about application software like iWork and iLife, they're not part of the operating system, of course.
    Not all of the OS versions were major version updates, some were more like service pack releases, but Apple still charged for them. Similarly it's also similar to ipod touch people having to pay for upgrades that the iphone users get for free.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Not all of the OS versions were major version updates, some were more like service pack releases, but Apple still charged for them. Similarly it's also similar to ipod touch people having to pay for upgrades that the iphone users get for free.
    It depends on how you define service pack, but okay. Apple release quite a bit of functionality in the middle of a major release for no extra charge.

    10.1 was free and 10.6 was US$29, which was expensive handling and packaging fees but essentially free also. 10.6 fixed a lot of things that were broken in 10.5 but broke just as many things as it fixed.

    10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 all had a large number of changes. I didn't think that Apple should charge for 10.0 or 10.2 but that's mostly me. At some point, they had to get some compensation for the changes.

    I'm still not sure why Apple charge for iPod touch major upgrades--the accounting bit still doesn't sound correct, though iPhone users in the U.S.A. may start to pay soon, also.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    It depends on how you define service pack, but okay. Apple release quite a bit of functionality in the middle of a major release for no extra charge.

    10.1 was free and 10.6 was US$29, which was expensive handling and packaging fees but essentially free also. 10.6 fixed a lot of things that were broken in 10.5 but broke just as many things as it fixed.

    10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 all had a large number of changes. I didn't think that Apple should charge for 10.0 or 10.2 but that's mostly me. At some point, they had to get some compensation for the changes.

    I'm still not sure why Apple charge for iPod touch major upgrades--the accounting bit still doesn't sound correct, though iPhone users in the U.S.A. may start to pay soon, also.
    Also for people going from Tiger to Snow leapord, Apple said that you needed the full version of Snow Leapord, but in fact, you can use the upgrade if you want to. (They admitted it but never put it on their website)

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...iger_macs.html

  12. #52
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not true. There are mac viruses already. And it's easiest to hack/phish than most Windows PCs. Especially if you use Safari.
    Oh really? Dang. Looks like the real virus is already getting to the 733t users of the world.

    Never thought I'd see the day the pros will go Mac.
    I guess it's a matter of demand and "supply".

    Btw, back where I came from, Macs use Motorola chips, not Intel. Wonder why they put a PC in a Mac? Hmmm

  13. #53
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    Anyways, I doubt if what you've stated in your comment is true. There is no reason why apps running on IBM PC are faster than apps running on Apple Macs because both are now on the same type of hardware. You can even run Windows on Mac hardware. PCWorld even found the MacBookPro as the fastest Windows Vista laptop of 2007.
    Firstly to debunk the myth that Macs are more stable than PCs; if you buy a well known brand like IBM (before they turned junkie Lenovo) or Toshiba, with parts build to specs by the factory and don't add in the thousands of options one has, and install just the mainstream softwares instead of the tens of thousands of untested softwares (especially against the latest hardwares), there's no reason why PCs are less stable, if not more stable, than Macs.

    In fact, I can count with one hand the number of blue screens since the start of the new millenia (none that I can remember for the last 5 years), and yes, my home PC is built from parts bought from various shops in Sim Lim (albeit the costly parts only).

    I normally shutdown my office laptop once every two months, normally depending on hibernate and standbys to keep running. No problems.

    To me, a Mac is now just a PC that uses very specific parts (no different from any other major brand, except Dell.. but I shall not elaborate on that) and runs only very specific applications developed or controlled by one Corporation.

    If I wanted stability and control like that, I'd get an AS400.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Also for people going from Tiger to Snow leapord, Apple said that you needed the full version of Snow Leapord, but in fact, you can use the upgrade if you want to. (They admitted it but never put it on their website)

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...iger_macs.html
    Those who already upgraded to Leopard should get the reduced price. While those early people buying the early Intel-based Macs had a lot of heartaches with Tiger, they still shouldn't get Snow Leopard almost free.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Oh really? Dang. Looks like the real virus is already getting to the 733t users of the world.

    Never thought I'd see the day the pros will go Mac.
    I guess it's a matter of demand and "supply".

    Btw, back where I came from, Macs use Motorola chips, not Intel. Wonder why they put a PC in a Mac? Hmmm
    Motorola, now Freescale, couldn't develop good processors that kept up with the changing world. When they were trying to develop 500 MHz PowerPC processors, they were failing. Apple went to IBM for other processors but they weren't much more successful, so Intel was one of two suppliers and Steve Jobs was friendly with Intel more than AMD.

    Why wouldn't professionals use Macs? More graphics-related professionals use Macs than any other machines.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    ...
    If I wanted stability and control like that, I'd get an AS400.
    I'd like to see you edit photos on an IBM 5250-series green screen terminal connected to an AS/400.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Why wouldn't professionals use Macs? More graphics-related professionals use Macs than any other machines.
    i love this line of logic.

    just because 8000 people use something doesn't mean it is the best, it could just be the norm.

    one fine example is the dvorak keyboard. QWERTY was designed to SLOW DOWN the typewriter era typists, to prevent it from tangling up the typewriter too much. the dvorak keyboard, while not academically proven to be faster than QWERTY, did not get much of a chance because no one wanted to change the keyboards.

    the same goes for camera brands. a lot of professionals use canon and nikon, does it mean that pentax, olympus, sony cannot be used just as well, or even better by a professional photographer?

  16. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i love this line of logic.

    just because 8000 people use something doesn't mean it is the best, it could just be the norm.

    one fine example is the dvorak keyboard. QWERTY was designed to SLOW DOWN the typewriter era typists, to prevent it from tangling up the typewriter too much. the dvorak keyboard, while not academically proven to be faster than QWERTY, did not get much of a chance because no one wanted to change the keyboards.

    the same goes for camera brands. a lot of professionals use canon and nikon, does it mean that pentax, olympus, sony cannot be used just as well, or even better by a professional photographer?
    Hmm…

    What's the current Windows/PC global market share? Eighty to ninety percent? Does that mean the PCs is the best platform or is it just the norm? Does that mean Macs can't be used just as well? When people buy PCs, are they buying it because they really want a PC or are they buying it simply because they didn't know any better? They just want the default?

  17. #57
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the same goes for camera brands. a lot of professionals use canon and nikon, does it mean that pentax, olympus, sony cannot be used just as well, or even better by a professional photographer?
    You missed Panasonic
    I ain't speaking to you again. Ever! For one whole entire day!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I'd like to see you edit photos on an IBM 5250-series green screen terminal connected to an AS/400.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    Not really.. They're even in terms of speed now but a PC of the same price can't be matched by a Mac in terms of processing speed and power.
    there is a program, relevant to this forum, which at the moment is more powerful on the PC... Photoshop CS4, which is available as a 64bit program on Windows only at the moment

  19. #59

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    Hmm…

    What's the current Windows/PC global market share? Eighty to ninety percent? Does that mean the PCs is the best platform or is it just the norm? Does that mean Macs can't be used just as well? When people buy PCs, are they buying it because they really want a PC or are they buying it simply because they didn't know any better? They just want the default?
    yes, you see the error of your logic lor.

    i also never say pc is good, i just say that the mac fanboys like you fail to see that your own logic is ludicrous. best part is, you return it to me thinking that it serves as a refutation.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Actually when buying a Mac, don't bother spending the 'higher tier' of their products. It so 'sucks' that you will puke twice because 1. It is farking expensive and 2. You are pretty farked when you realised how farked up their 'top tier service' is.

    Why? I had a 24" iMac (the highest spec one some more) and it was so 'sucks' that I puke everyday I switched it on. The monitor is brighter that the sun. You will need a pair of sunglasses to work. Plus you get a nice yellow banding in the middle of the screen. Apple says, within limits. Thank god I sold it off. Problem solved.

    Then I got a Mac Pro (not their sh!tty Macbook Pro laptop hor) to do my work. I thought finally this is it. The chosen one from the heavens. But wait, there's more. Playing a simple audio will cause a performance loss. Apple geniuses say nothing wrong, get lost. Send in again, computer hung while playing audio and right in front of the technician! Got the cheeks to say maybe its Adobe Photoshop CS4 causing the problem. WTF?? How can a super machine like the Mac Pro with super specs cannot play a simple audio file? My CPU was nearing boiling point every time I do audio work. Tech say, ok what. Fark that. So I live with this piece of sh!t because there's no other higher model than this. 5 months and counting and still no fix from Apple. On the other hand, the iPhone got updates like nobody's business even though I find there's no major problem with my iPhone.

    So I got a Macbook white. 2nd hand and old model some more. Everything is smooth like butter on toast. Nice and simple. No problem. Cheaper too. Actually, got one small problem but I am willing to forgive. Battery got really bad cancer that it started to inflate itself. Thank god got free change. If not, I will burn down all Apple's store. Now, I work like its 1980 where multitasking doesn't even exist. Can only do one thing at a time but work still can be done. At least playing audio doesn't boil water. Happy for now.

    Conclusion, don't bother paying the higher end Macs unless you got very very deep pockets and lots and lots of patience. The more expensive the product, the lesser accessories it has. Don't believe me, just drop by Apple store. See if you can find any Mac Pro's accessories at all. The higher end the product, the more problems it have. Don't just see outer casing chio onie means you should get it. Before buying any Apple product, pay a visit to Apple's discussion forums and see which products that sucks the least.

    Morning rant out. Cheers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •