Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 134

Thread: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    I agree with germ_boi above.

    I think the design of the hardware is just one of the reason why people buy macs. Of course, who would want to buy a laptop that you'll be ashamed to take out in a coffee shop? It really helps if the hardware looks good but good looking hardware is not enough. The software side is also great. Sure, Mac OSX is not 100% secure and you can still get attacked but it's nothing compared to the number of Windows viruses that you can get. Antivirus software is one of the things that slows down Windows. With macs, you may want to run antivirus and antimalware software in the background, but most people don't and in the current state of things, you probably don't need it anyways. As a result, the operating system and application generally run more quickly.

    The bundled software is also good. iTunes is already installed. The iLife suite is good enough for most people. Safari is decent and it doesn't come with crapware that most PC manufacturers bundles on their machines -- those browser toolbars that eats up a lot of space and other utilities that runs in the background and slows down the machine. It also comes with a built-in PDF viewer that is faster than Adobe Reader. There are a lot of well written software available on a Mac. Simple things like sleep mode works too - just close the lid and it goes to sleep. Open it up and it wakes up quickly. Wireless networking is built in and is stupidly easy to set up.

    The hardware specs is also decent - so long as you compare it to PC laptop of the same class and not to a cheap netbook.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I use PC, have a mac but I prefer my PC.
    Waiting for the new Sony Z

    i7 processor, 6gb ram, quad RAID SSD, 1.5kg.
    there's no other computer that comes close.
    oh yeah it has an expresscard slot too.haha!
    yeah waiting to see that too... Quad RAID SSD ... by the way, I believe the RAM is upgradeable to 8GB according to Intel's processor info, which is great for 64bit Photoshop CS4... but I guess not everyone needs all this power...

  3. #23

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    I had never used a MacBook before.
    But the design is very chio.
    Tempted to jump ship to Mac as my current laptop is 4 yrs old liao.
    Easy to switch over? Any advice?

    why is it more expensive?

    because with enough marketing, you can sell whatever you want.

    more stable? not really, it's not as if you can do anything you want with a mac and abuse it and it will run run run.

    better for photography editing? not really, pc specs will own it for equivalent price, even with laptop purchase.

    the only thing i see going for a mac is the screen. and of course, i admit, it is very chio.

    pay the premium for that? no way. i am too pragmatic for that.
    Last edited by night86mare; 29th January 2010 at 07:27 PM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    Of course, who would want to buy a laptop that you'll be ashamed to take out in a coffee shop?
    why you taking out laptops in coffeeshops la.............

    can show the beer aunty photos?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why you taking out laptops in coffeeshops la.............

    can show the beer aunty photos?
    I don't, but some people do take their laptops in coffee shops.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    I don't, but some people do take their laptops in coffee shops.
    when I was new york every tom dick and harry had a macbook pro in Starbucks tryin to look like an artist/writer
    so maybe that's partly where my disdain stems from...

    admittedly snow leopard runs great and I like how fast it gets out of sleep mode.
    However it really irks me that I can't fullscreen my apps...
    I'm still using win xp hahah
    Last edited by mattlock; 29th January 2010 at 10:05 PM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    it's a matter of personal preference really...

    Mac's don't crash too often, though they have the 'spinning beach ball of death'

    They have great screens.

    They're expensive if showing off is what you want to do. Sitting in Starbucks or Coffee Bean with that cool unibody laptop with an Apple logo.

    Great interface and looks.

    Final Cut Pro is only available on Mac, so there goes the video industry and all the multimedia guys and Photojournalists.

    Tough body (I'm 83kg 6'3 and once I was sitting on an office chair and my macbook pro was on the floor, It's pretty slim so I accidentally ran over it. Now it just has a dent and nothing else)

    FireWire is cool, though now we're getting USB 3 or something which is equivalent.

    And lastly quite a few schools use Mac as a default choice, including the university that I go to. So I bought a macbook pro 17".

    If you aren't doing professional work get a PC of equal price but 10x better specs. That's what I'd do.

    Coming from a person who owns a Mac, a windows laptop, and a desktop.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cowtown
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    I've had my Powerbook G4 15" since late 2004, and i've only had to change the HDD once in 2008. DIY'd the HDD upgrade myself, done in 30mins and I was good to go. I've dropped the laptop from table height, abused it in every way possible (lifting the whole thing up by the screen) etc.

    It's still running strong today with OS Tiger. Cost me $3800 back then, and it's the best $3800 i've ever spent.

    My wife just bought a 13" Macbook last year, and she's having a blast with it. Hehe....wish my battery was rated for 7hrs though.

  9. #29
    Member Burnings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    when I was new york every tom dick and harry had a macbook pro in Starbucks tryin to look like an artist/writer
    so maybe that's partly where my disdain stems from...

    admittedly snow leopard runs great and I like how fast it gets out of sleep mode.
    However it really irks me that I can't fullscreen my apps...
    I'm still using win xp hahah
    Check out the Windows 7 64bit man.... getting out of sleep mode is abt a sec for me....

  10. #30

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Mac
    - Doesn't get PC viruses
    - High performance
    - Always up to date
    - Born ready
    - Get on Internet in a few clicks
    - Chats

    PC
    - Doesn't get Mac viruses
    - Higher performance
    - Windows Update
    - Born even more ready with more devices
    - Getting online is even a selling point?
    - Available too

    So it's true. You are paying more for the chio.
    I disagree with the "Always up to date" with the Macs. In some cases, you even need to pay for the updates.

    Or look at the iPhone. It took 3 generations to get features in that other phones have had since 2001.
    Alpha

  11. #31

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    apple is good as no virus like mac OS
    Not true. There are mac viruses already. And it's easiest to hack/phish than most Windows PCs. Especially if you use Safari.
    Alpha

  12. #32

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    currently on.

    W7 32 Bit on an Acer Travelmate 2.23ghz C2D with 2gb of ram
    Snow Leopard, macbk white, 2.13ghz C2D 4gb ram.

    Reasons why you should go mac

    1. No more stupid troubleshooting problems that Windows brings you
    2. Looks good, well built
    3. Battery life is awesome stuff
    4. Comprehensive suite of useful software.(Preview opens anything from Jpeg to a raw file from a Leaf Aptus back, windows on the other...doesnt recognise CR2 files.)
    5. Efficient
    6. Vmware Fusion(with 2 screens, I can run W7 AND OS X simultaneously)

    Reasons why you should NOT get a mac

    1. $$$$$$$$$( I mean, i paid $300 more for LESS specs!!!!!)
    2. No IE support.(you ask who uses IE? try schools and government websites, all work best with IE)
    3. Gaming....hmmm.....erm.....
    4. Gotta re-learn everything.
    5. File systems are gonna be a headache.


    Using both on a daily basis, I have to say the advantages and disadvantages are pretty apparent. If I were you, I would go according to primary usage.

    If its predominantly for on the go, editting, media related work, Go mac!
    If for web surfing, basic computing, gaming and MSN(geez, the IM clients for OS x is horrible) go windows!(W7 please, Vista was a big reason why I jumped)


    Either platform you go, cant go wrong, its like Canon/Nikon all over again, advantages and disadvantages from both sides, pick the one that suits you most!

    Have fun computing!

  13. #33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    if ur asking this, u should get a mac

    ull be utterly impressed by the interface and looks. but the practicality of using a mac is abysmal unless u plan to BBB.

  14. #34
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why you taking out laptops in coffeeshops la.............

    can show the beer aunty photos?
    There was a time when I was using my notebook in a neighbourhood coffeshop when some random guy came up to, passed me some notes while speaking in gibberish cantonese. Was really stunned at that moment and didn't know what to say.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 31st January 2010 at 07:10 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  15. #35

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    just got my macbook on 29 Jan, love it.

    A few thing that amaze me is,
    e.g.
    1) if forget to turn on the modem when started safari, once the modem is turn on. safari refresh itself without us clicking the refresh button.
    2) shut down super fast... unlike window

    will... still checking out my mac... no complaint yet..

  16. #36
    Deregistered rgy1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    i like this spoof ad i saw on youtube once...

    hi im a mac
    and im a pc
    you know, macs are incredibly user friendly and have the best customer satisfaction rating out there
    dude.. shut up
    but
    you have less then 20% of all global computer sales, have hardly any programs that actually work and can't play games. didnt mention that did you?
    well so i cant run games, but i'm for creative people, name one thing in that suite that a pc can do that a mac cant
    right click... bitch

    no idea if the facts are true but i found it pretty funny :P
    pc user myself.. might switch to mac after school though... stil not sure.. the incredibly hefty pricetag is keeping me off them haha

  17. #37

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    i like this spoof ad i saw on youtube once...

    hi im a mac
    and im a pc
    you know, macs are incredibly user friendly and have the best customer satisfaction rating out there
    dude.. shut up
    but
    you have less then 20% of all global computer sales, have hardly any programs that actually work and can't play games. didnt mention that did you?
    well so i cant run games, but i'm for creative people, name one thing in that suite that a pc can do that a mac cant
    right click... bitch

    no idea if the facts are true but i found it pretty funny :P
    pc user myself.. might switch to mac after school though... stil not sure.. the incredibly hefty pricetag is keeping me off them haha

    hahaha.. i've seen that one.. But seriously speaking the only reason why anyone from the multimedia industry would buy a mac is because of Final Cut Pro.. all the rest of the stuff in it is available on cheaper PC's..
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    hahaha.. i've seen that one.. But seriously speaking the only reason why anyone from the multimedia industry would buy a mac is because of Final Cut Pro.. all the rest of the stuff in it is available on cheaper PC's..
    Plus most other apps run a damn sight faster on an IBM platform.

    Buy a mac and cripple you brain
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I disagree with the "Always up to date" with the Macs. In some cases, you even need to pay for the updates.

    Or look at the iPhone. It took 3 generations to get features in that other phones have had since 2001.
    It wasn't me...I just took it from http://www.apple.com/sg/getamac/whymac/. And my rationale is that the listed reasons for using a Mac are not good enough for me.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Plus most other apps run a damn sight faster on an IBM platform.

    Buy a mac and cripple you brain
    Come on. It's ok if you don't like the product. But to insult for who do like it and use it - I don't think that is fair.

    Just to put it into context - we are talking about a tool here. This is something that people buy and use according to their needs. If some people prefer a certain brand, that is their choice. You just have to respect that.

    Anyways, I doubt if what you've stated in your comment is true. There is no reason why apps running on IBM PC are faster than apps running on Apple Macs because both are now on the same type of hardware. You can even run Windows on Mac hardware. PCWorld even found the MacBookPro as the fastest Windows Vista laptop of 2007.

    If anything else, apps on Windows might even run slower because Windows users usually run antivirus and anti-malware software in the background. Those things consume memory and processing time and can even slow down disk access. Mac OSX users usually do not run anti-virus and anti-malware software so Mac apps are free to run unhindered by anti-virus software.
    Last edited by jopwork; 31st January 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •