Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

Thread: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    133

    Default Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    I had never used a MacBook before.
    But the design is very chio.
    Tempted to jump ship to Mac as my current laptop is 4 yrs old liao.
    Easy to switch over? Any advice?

    Canon 1D mk3/ 16-35L II/ 35L / 135L / 85 f1.8/ 580EX II / Canon G11

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    You can install Windows on it I think. Through some hack or something, or was it dual booting? Can't remember but I've seen it before.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    I had never used a MacBook before.
    But the design is very chio.
    Tempted to jump ship to Mac as my current laptop is 4 yrs old liao.
    Easy to switch over? Any advice?

    why it is more expansive? because the design is very chio
    http://www.apple.com/sg/getamac/whymac/

    easy to switch? depends on you
    http://www.apple.com/sg/getamac/faq/
    http://www.apple.com/sg/findouthow/mac/

    have fun

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Thanks for the useful links!

    No laptop can come close to the chio-ness of MacBook

    Lau Nuar......
    Canon 1D mk3/ 16-35L II/ 35L / 135L / 85 f1.8/ 580EX II / Canon G11

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    Thanks for the useful links!

    No laptop can come close to the chio-ness of MacBook

    Lau Nuar......


    Now still not to late to "lau nuar".
    Still got my Mac Classic with me.
    Not to stand still with and by the Window.


  6. #6

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    It got to be Apple ....

    And Apple a day keeps windows away ....

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    Thanks for the useful links!

    No laptop can come close to the chio-ness of MacBook

    Lau Nuar......
    You will never look back once you done with the change.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why it is more expansive? because the design is very chio
    http://www.apple.com/sg/getamac/whymac/
    Mac
    - Doesn't get PC viruses
    - High performance
    - Always up to date
    - Born ready
    - Get on Internet in a few clicks
    - Chats

    PC
    - Doesn't get Mac viruses
    - Higher performance
    - Windows Update
    - Born even more ready with more devices
    - Getting online is even a selling point?
    - Available too

    So it's true. You are paying more for the chio.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    A place where no man can enter
    Posts
    646

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    There must be a reason why majority of people from the creative, design and production field using mac.
    Appearance is one of the many reasons.
    For me, i prefer to use MAC because photoshopCS seems to work faster in my mac as compared to my fujitsu laptop with similar specs....

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teegongkia View Post
    There must be a reason why majority of people from the creative, design and production field using mac.
    Appearance is one of the many reasons.
    For me, i prefer to use MAC because photoshopCS seems to work faster in my mac as compared to my fujitsu laptop with similar specs....
    I use PC, have a mac but I prefer my PC.
    Waiting for the new Sony Z

    i7 processor, 6gb ram, quad RAID SSD, 1.5kg.
    there's no other computer that comes close.
    oh yeah it has an expresscard slot too.haha!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pacman's Corner
    Posts
    406

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    I think it's the monitor that Apple is using. Apple uses IPS monitors but it's more expensive compared to other types.

    Maybe this can explain: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides...anel-types.php
    Last edited by Jix; 29th January 2010 at 03:05 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    You can install Windows on it I think. Through some hack or something, or was it dual booting? Can't remember but I've seen it before.
    nice. boot camp has been around for at least 3 years. It's created by Apple itself, in no way a hack

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    I guess I had been poisoned!
    This weekend I shall drop into one Apple shop
    and look look see see touch touch
    I hope I come out empty handed

    I observed Mac's display is better (to my untrained eyes)
    I probably go for the 15" MacBook Pro
    + there so many accessories to add
    Canon 1D mk3/ 16-35L II/ 35L / 135L / 85 f1.8/ 580EX II / Canon G11

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Mac
    - Doesn't get PC viruses
    - High performance
    - Always up to date
    - Born ready
    - Get on Internet in a few clicks
    - Chats

    PC
    - Doesn't get Mac viruses
    - Higher performance
    - Windows Update
    - Born even more ready with more devices
    - Getting online is even a selling point?
    - Available too

    So it's true. You are paying more for the chio.
    Sorry cant resist.

    My mac hasn't slowed down a bit since the first day of usage out of the box. I have not even reformatted once, though I can't say the same for my other Windows PC. I have not used any anti virus software in this period of time and going by the speed my computer loads and functions, I think it's safe to say I am still malware and virus free.

    1 other story I share is that as of right now, I never had to install a driver, not for my printer, nor for my clients' printers. When I visit their office, I just plug and use their printer via usb, or key in the printer IP and it's all settled.

    I enjoy the convenience mac gives me to do real work compared to trying to troubleshoot needless problems.

    Can you say the same for windows or any other pc manufacturer other than it giving you useless software to make windows even more bloated? I love my iLife and iWork suite!

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    aiyah, no computer brand wars please

    you pay more for designer stuff, it is just designed better

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    I had never used a MacBook before.
    But the design is very chio.
    Tempted to jump ship to Mac as my current laptop is 4 yrs old liao.
    Easy to switch over? Any advice?


    apple is good as no virus like mac OS

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bishan
    Posts
    133

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    apple is good as no virus like mac OS
    Yes. This is another good selling point
    next to the appearance factor

    If I use dual OS, then I'm open to windows viruses?

    Sorry for this newbie question.

    Canon 1D mk3/ 16-35L II/ 35L / 135L / 85 f1.8/ 580EX II / Canon G11

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    Yes. This is another good selling point
    next to the appearance factor

    If I use dual OS, then I'm open to windows viruses?

    Sorry for this newbie question.

    Yes - you can still get viruses if you run windows on your mac.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    Because its Apple. That's why

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Why is MacBook (Pro) much more expensive than normal laptop?

    100% agree with you. i've been using macbook pro for the last 3 years since 10.4 tiger days.
    not even a single format was done on each upgrade to 10.6 snow leopard.
    the good thing is that it's going faster and faster after each OS X upgrade (no hardware upgrade). unlike the you-know-what-OS.

    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Sorry cant resist.

    My mac hasn't slowed down a bit since the first day of usage out of the box. I have not even reformatted once, though I can't say the same for my other Windows PC. I have not used any anti virus software in this period of time and going by the speed my computer loads and functions, I think it's safe to say I am still malware and virus free.

    1 other story I share is that as of right now, I never had to install a driver, not for my printer, nor for my clients' printers. When I visit their office, I just plug and use their printer via usb, or key in the printer IP and it's all settled.

    I enjoy the convenience mac gives me to do real work compared to trying to troubleshoot needless problems.

    Can you say the same for windows or any other pc manufacturer other than it giving you useless software to make windows even more bloated? I love my iLife and iWork suite!

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •