Thread: Singapore Productivity

Default Singapore Productivity

This topic has been discussed widely but I am not seeking to discuss the politicians' comment to it or the meaning behind the message etc etc.

I want to know how Singapore Productivity is measured or computed, statistically.

Can anybody shed some light to this question?

Default Re: Singapore Productivity

The reason I am asking is I want to understand what low or high productivity really means by understanding the calculation. It will reveal the assumption behind it. You see we can only give 100% and not more than that. But if productivity increases by a certain percentage over time, wont that go over 100% ? Is that real?

real output = technological progress factor x f(real capital input, real labour input)

Use chain rule to differentiate to obtain percentage changes..

There are many ways to measure productivity. When the top management talks about productivity, it is saying it at a national (macroeconomics) level.

Hence, the indicators and standards used are things like OECD productivity measures. For current set of measured indicators refer to this page: http://www.oecd.org/document/5/0,334..._1_1_1,00.html.

Note that within OECD itself, there are more than 1 way of computing national productivity and that computing productivity in a private organisation such as the company you're working for is totally another thing.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    The reason I am asking is I want to understand what low or high productivity really means by understanding the calculation. It will reveal the assumption behind it. You see we can only give 100% and not more than that. But if productivity increases by a certain percentage over time, wont that go over 100% ? Is that real?
    erm, are you talking about this:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...033098/1/.html

when u can multitask as a cleaner, cashier and coffee-maker all in one with 10 folks in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Yes, I want to know how MIW calculates productivity, what they mean by productivity when they talk, if it is consistent when the elders talk to the no so elder talk, and what is the impact of productivity increase that they want to the rest of us if we are going to achieve the target.

There is a comparison of productivity with GDP
    Quote Originally Posted by CNA article
    Singapore's productivity growth has been declining. Between 2004 and 2007, productivity growth as a share to GDP was only 14 per cent. The figure was 44 per cent from 2002 to 2004.
    I know how to measure GDP. I want to know how productivity is measured. Is the unit of measure for productivity is $?
    If yes then are those not producing $ (home maker, students) or so called "cost center" (IT dept, internal audit, QC, HR) included in the measure?

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    There are many ways to measure productivity. When the top management talks about productivity, it is saying it at a national (macroeconomics) level.

Hence, the indicators and standards used are things like OECD productivity measures.
    oh my 154 pages of PDF to digest, will slowly read when I cannot sleep

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    For current set of measured indicators refer to this page: http://www.oecd.org/document/5/0,334..._1_1_1,00.html.

Note that within OECD itself, there are more than 1 way of computing national productivity and that computing productivity in a private organisation such as the company you're working for is totally another thing.
    and links to more documents... to read

Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    when u can multitask as a cleaner, cashier and coffee-maker all in one with 10 folks in the queue.
    I think he has been away on overseas trip too long and has not visited a local kopitiam so long ago forgot that kopitiam uncle/auntie has been doing that already.

I think he has been away on overseas trip too long and has not visited a local kopitiam so long ago forgot that kopitiam uncle/auntie has been doing that already.
    who? i hope you are not talking about me, there's no need to get personal.

btw, i always eat kopitiam when i'm back. i think either hawker centre or kopitiam

Yes, I want to know how MIW calculates productivity, what they mean by productivity when they talk, if it is consistent when the elders talk to the no so elder talk, and what is the impact of productivity increase that they want to the rest of us if we are going to achieve the target.
    Ho ho ho. Productivity drop? Why? Lots of people could see this coming a mile away. And the opinion of many is things will likely get worse, for a long long time to come.

http://app-stg.mti.gov.sg/data/artic...oductivity.pdf
    Pages 43-44. Old document, but this may still be the formula they are using.

btw, i always eat kopitiam when i'm back. i think either hawker centre or kopitiam
    LOL sorry not you. you not wear white enough
    must remember to use super strong bleach to wash your clothes

how can you dunno who's he talking about

Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    how can you dunno who's he talking about
    the goat is a joker la, not sure which calibre is bigger he or sion