Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will getting MP's letter be of use in NS ICT time off/deferment?

Default Re: Will getting MP's letter be of use in NS ICT time off/deferment?

To be able to get their handphone number is the best. call them personally so that you can get a response faster.

the official channel is usually manned by a NSF who is just operating by the books as mention by some and the chances of a deferment/time off is usually slim.

unit commanders are usually given the discretion to act based on individual's reasons for time off request. with proper documents and reasonable length of time off i don't see why your unit is so anal to deny you.

during my ICT (ATEC stage II) i seen some men with urgent matters to attend to, took half day time off, afternoon join in the battle after being ferried in my trainers.

usu change of new job also can. i requested that before..but same thing after many email due to no reply etc...

Since there is ample time and notice, making an appointment and going down to see your unit's S1 will be your best bet. Remember to bring your company letter requesting for the deferment on your behalf.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

if ICT also need find MP, i think his PA or Clerk will tell you..

photocopy two copy+black and white for your request, we will get back to you within 1-3 months working days. pls hold..
    not to impress but shoot to express

Talk less, skip none and soon in a blink of an eye, your ICT cycle will be over. I cleared all mine while others younger than me still struggling.

You will alway get rejected with the system as it has a paper trail and folks do not want to be associated with approving the deferment. Just go talk to the CO on the first day of ICT. They will work out something for you.
    Just me...

If you have your unit chief clerk no, just give him a call, and he can arrange for you to talk to your S1 or CO lah. Unless that day happen to clash with some major events, shouldn't be a problem one.

My unit told me before >>> Proper channel.

CO even say, MP also useless. Serving the country come first.

This is what he said.

no need waste your MP time to write u a letter. Your Orificer will also mark you if you do that.

What u do is : on the night before of your briefing, go see a doctor and ask for a MC for flu. on that morning is to call in and report sick.

You wont get kick of reservist just for taking one day MC.

But take care not to let your camp know the real reason, for you may be kenna charge for malingering.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wondering.... Have any of you been unsuccessful in trying to get time off/deferment from ICT, and then went to see your MP and you finally got it?

I'm very disappointed now. I requested for only a 1 day time off from my ICT (with supervisor's letter) but was downright rejected. Applied via the NS portal.

I have this overseas work conference to attend and it clashes one day of my ICT. It's not always I get this opportunity which is very useful for my work. And no, no one else in my dept can attend it. All I'm asking is a time off and they won't even allow. Or perhaps cos part of my ICT extends during the weekend also? That's rare.

Am thinking of seeing MP but not sure if it helps. The thing is, my name was already submitted last year for me to attend the conference. Earlier than the ICT message I got. And I don't hold any important appointment.

Somehow, I find SAF to be very ruthless. While I think one should attend ICT whenever possible, I find their lack of understanding to be an intrusion into my personal life and well-being. Not sure if any of you have this kind of feeling. It's like, even after ORD, you are tied tightly to SAF where you have to forego almost all important personal commitments.

Or do any of you have been successful thru other means to get that time off/deferment? TIA....

kiwitan: I'm going overseas. Don't have time and I won't take MC like that also. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

I'm just wondering... The high-ranking CO will bother with all these matters?

I'm also thinking, what's the point of setting up a website if they reject an NSman's request so readily?

Ok, as most have adviced, I've decided to speak with the relevant authorities. Think that's faster and more reasonable. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12