Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: 30k savings, 35 y-o

Default Re: 30k savings, 35 y-o

Quote Originally Posted by kkvolution View Post
    I just feel alot of girls are looking for quick and easy lifestyle now. Gone are the days where they stick with u no matter what happen. It didn't happen in my mum lifetime, it definitely not going to happen in this era.
    Not that I am implying they are materialistic but they may somehow lack the foresight in seeing the potential a guy has based on what he had then. They probably value other qualities, such as TLC+affection more than seeing that this person puts more time in achieving what he thought would be good for their future. As such, they turned to others.

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    I haven't start working...Still in UNI...
    You are good. Either you are enterprising (making money while still in UNI) or you have fat pocket money...either case you have done well in saving up. During our time, we just had enough for day to day expenses, let alone $300 per month saving. Keep it up and invest wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    1 mth salary on 85 1.2?
    wah...kind of harsh on the pocket.
    yeah it is. too bad its so expensive. luckily someone offered to pay half of it in exchange for some photos. good to have rich friends! haha

but i must say..the nice guys dont go clubbing much. the guys in clubs are those out for a quick f and some happy time. can't stand going clubbing in singapore. the nice guys are out having dinner with friends, and maybe drinks at a pub or something. besides, everyone knows you dont expect to meet your life partner at the clubs. yes yes i know some people were lucky enough but it's the exception rather than the norm.

anyways, long story short, jeanie you have to hunt where your prey is! haha its like when we do underwater photography...you have to know your subject's habits, living conditions, and most likely hiding places. only then will you get that stunning shot.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Hi..i started out saving 800 per month,with a target of saving 10k per year (incl bonuses) and 100k in 10 yrs when i hit 35 yrs. I'm currently into my 3rd yr of workforce. But my mum asked me to contribute $200 more into household since last yr and i can onli save $600 now. I also realised as you grow old..you tend to spend more, and unfortunately my salary didnt grow parallel with my expenditure.

I just turned 27, and im just 1/5 into my target. Haha...esp i got into this horrible hobby of mine that kept me investing more and more.

But i shd be able to hit 3/5 of my target when i reach 35 at this rate? Hopefully la! Provided i remain single, dun anyhow buy lenses, no car...haha
    5DMk2

Quote Originally Posted by SK1968 View Post
    You are good. Either you are enterprising (making money while still in UNI) or you have fat pocket money...either case you have done well in saving up. During our time, we just had enough for day to day expenses, let alone $300 per month saving. Keep it up and invest wisely.
    haha he is saving more than i even get a month in uni!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Hi..i started out saving 800 per month,with a target of saving 10k per year (incl bonuses) and 100k in 10 yrs when i hit 35 yrs. I'm currently into my 3rd yr of workforce. But my mum asked me to contribute $200 more into household since last yr and i can onli save $600 now. I also realised as you grow old..you tend to spend more, and unfortunately my salary didnt grow parallel with my expenditure.

I just turned 27, and im just 1/5 into my target. Haha...esp i got into this horrible hobby of mine that kept me investing more and more.

But i shd be able to hit 3/5 of my target when i reach 35 at this rate? Hopefully la! Provided i remain single, dun anyhow buy lenses, no car...haha
    Provided you are single, really, once have a gf, don't think most male can save much with dating frequency increase . If don't increase in spending, most gf won't stick with the bf.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Provided you are single, really, once have a gf, don't think most male can save much with dating frequency increase . If don't increase in spending, most gf won't stick with the bf.
    My take on this (personal view and no offence to girls pls) is that young girls tend to find exciting, fun bfs and it's oni when they mature to working professionals, they look for stable and mature life partners.

In short, young girls dun give a damn how much a guy is saving every mth if he is a boring nerd.
    5DMk2

From my (personal) social network, I am convinced that women who has problem looking for a man to start a family has one but deadly common problem:

"They have such expectations on the other, that they themselves cannot meet if the roles are being reversed."
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

If he's got no debts (ie. fully paid off his car, house, education, etc), I think 30K by 35 is pretty good!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

wah jeanie..u really diff league le..no wonder u want to buy black penny....haha....

and your friend driving vios? i had a friend who initially earns abt 3-4k. bought a vios..is not a need for sure. i told him keep the money and use it for sthg more useful...but he din. i also can't understand how ppl can afford to maintain a car if their pay is less than 5k... i don't even drive now even though i can easily afford one.(maybe car is not my soft spot as it is for most guys)

shld tell your friend do some planning...earning 5k and only manage 30k by 35 is bad....where got enough. for my wedding i burn almost everything i saved and thank god the only loan we had was the HDB loan.

Wondering what higher league men look for in their women :

1. Not insecure
    2. Intellectual
    3. Able to self-manage
    4. Not attention deprived
    5. Well cultured, mannered and tempered
    6. Has empathy
    7. Resilient

If the deeper meaning of these 7 points cannot be fully gasped or need further explanations or expansion to pursue its in-depth understanding, then you are probably on their banned list and you may need to look into other leagues or alternatives.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

I dunno, I guess I happen to be lucky since I try to save most of my Ang Pao/Pocket money while still being able to maintain a relatively ok lifestyle...Perhaps this is also the reason why I've not bought a DSLR albeit wanting one for a really long time. However, I do see myself spending alot more on branded goods without much reserves but the case isn't true when it comes to DSLRs....

I'm guessing its probably because a camera is a tool that can be used for years to come and you don't often change it. Probably cause of that, I'll like my money to be spent on something that's really worth the 3 or 4k..

Anyway, back to the topic on investing wisely, I'm still doing read-ups and researching about it. Hope to grow it at least a little before my UNI days are up...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan View Post
    U should be looking for the son of a rich man, who is borne with a spade in his mouth
    bro, you r not reading the small prints .... jeanie is NOT looking for anyone here

it's obvious that having MONEY is not an issue for her as she is in the higher league. Her problem is finding a nice guy who can love her for who she is ...... a self-independent, highly motivated FLYERS. ..... but we know, it is hard to find many male Singaporeans like that, especially if one is above 35+

Singaporean male tend to marry downward, i am told.
    always the Light, .... always.

Any advice to younger guys out there like me? I'm 22 this year and I'm doing my Under-grad @ NTU. Got about 30k of savings in bank but ain't too sure what to do with it. I'm not particularly frugal or a spendthrift so I'm saving about $300 on a monthly basis. Its a really slow and tedious process....To be honest, I'm quite sad that my knowledge for investment is pretty bad which is why I've chucked the cash aside and not thought about how to grow it further....

To those who've been there done that, what route is the better to take?
    If you really want to earn big bucks, and I really mean don't-tell-people-the-amount-of-they-will-be-jealous-of-you type of money, start a business. Just have a business idea a day, one year you'll have 365, just weed out the useless ones and concentrate on one.

I personally don't know a lot of rich people who are employees, or super rich and young at the same time.

Not that hard. Just spend more time thinking.

business is good but you need capital to burn and see thru it...it is a good suggestion but fevernova u need capital and accumulate that.and at 22 you have 30k. that is quite decent. i had maybe 10% of that only when i was 22.....hahaha

Not that I am implying they are materialistic but they may somehow lack the foresight in seeing the potential a guy has based on what he had then. They probably value other qualities, such as TLC+affection more than seeing that this person puts more time in achieving what he thought would be good for their future. As such, they turned to others.
    most girls lack foresight since my secondary school days...

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    business is good but you need capital to burn and see thru it...it is a good suggestion but fevernova u need capital and accumulate that.and at 22 you have 30k. that is quite decent. i had maybe 10% of that only when i was 22.....hahaha
    You can always get around the problem of capital. Most big business start small, with small capital, even Clubsnap starts small I'm pretty sure.

Capital constraint at the start is good because it stops people from wasting too much money on something that might not even work. Which goes back to starting small, minimizing risk.

My online side business started with only about $500 approximately. Every month I invest what I earn back (typical of all businesses). Today, I make $2000 monthly off my side business which requires me only 1-2 hr per day. However, my experience only speaks for Internet type businesses.

It's not about the money. It's about what you do with that money. Constraints make people more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    haha he is saving more than i even get a month in uni!
    haha, same here. things are different 20 yrs ago.

I dunno, I guess I happen to be lucky since I try to save most of my Ang Pao/Pocket money while still being able to maintain a relatively ok lifestyle...Perhaps this is also the reason why I've not bought a DSLR albeit wanting one for a really long time. However, I do see myself spending alot more on branded goods without much reserves but the case isn't true when it comes to DSLRs......
    well, to each his own. as long as you know when to stop you are really doing very fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post

So what do you do, talk to each other about your day, about the kids, or just kiss, say good night rollover and sleep. Not a chance of working right ?
    isn't that what all grownups do?

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast