Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Thread: 30k savings, 35 y-o

Default Re: 30k savings, 35 y-o

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Mr Bean owns a Mac Laren F1 (which he wrecked it) amongst other nice cars. that one aim too high liao
    We are diff league lor.... hahahaa

I am talking about the OLD car......"mini cooper"
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Actually your reply already answered your questions

We love your honesty! Here's my honest observation.

we're in different leagues.(please dont flame me, i'm just being honest)

if you ask me,
    $30k for a guy's savings...is pathetic(i'm asking to be flamed but seriously, you dont want me lying right?)

in liquid assets alone, i believe you need to have at least a 100k, whether it's for emergency, or for pampering yourself.

and lastly, yes, i dont need to find a rich bf/hubby.
    cos i earn much more than the typical singaporean guy.
    and let me tell you, that's one of the main reasons till to date i'm single.( so is it REALLY good for a gal to earn that much?i dont know.you tell me)
    let me tell you, good guys are not afraid of girls making more than them, but they are more careful with their characters and lifestyles. it is good for a girl to earn much more, but she must know how to separate this earning power of hers and her attitude to him and everyone around. It is usually not only Money that couples stay together for good .... RESPECT and Good Sex are just as important to any guys.

i have suitors, but i really do not know if they're out for my $ or for s. Definitely for the S and nothing else, unless they happen to be also Nikon lovers ...

it's hard to find a nice guy in singapore nowadays(again, no offense). Nice guys are plentiful, but i feel that not many nice guys would want to have anything to do with your lifestyle. Statistics show, lesser "nice" guys go for regular pubbing or drive fast cars (even though many of them can afford) ...

if you are in any way got offended by my honest comments, i apologise.
    no not offended at all.
    it's a good discussion.
    i think good sex is only important after marriage.
    quite alot of my friends who had sex too early didnt end up getting married.
    it's a giver and getter kind of thing.most of my gal friends are givers, and in the end lose out.(not surprising ya.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    YOur bro single? Can intro intro to Jeanie? kekekekeke
    not interested in angmoh hor.
    if i want, i long ago kaoyin liao.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    oic, so you're an EXPAT.
    the ones which the typical singaporeans dislike ostracise.
    jus kiddin
    To me each to their own. My friends whom I have known for 20yrs here, say I am more Singaporean than most Singaporeans. Not sure if thats good or bad. I always wear red shirt to CNY dinners ....

When in Rome do as the Romans do. It is fun working here, but was hard at the start, as most of my workers were weary of the BWG. I learnt to fit in, when invited to someones house for CNY, Hari Raya etc, accept learn be gracious.

4 digits in a day?just by saying that, you're already in singaporeans' hitlist.
    Probably is a hitlist, but not what you are thinking of.

I also have 2 very expensive hobbies, 1 of which I have been doing for close to 30years, and the other I have just taken up again recently.

So its a choice of ummm lens or body or pistols, competitions overseas etc ....

BUT, not many woman can take my working life, as its like a revolving door sometimes. Early days in the 90's its like Honey I am HOME, lets get NAKED as I am off again in 2 days

Life is GREAT !!! hehe
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

not interested in angmoh hor.
    if i want, i long ago kaoyin liao.
    is it? lol......

Any advice to younger guys out there like me? I'm 22 this year and I'm doing my Under-grad @ NTU. Got about 30k of savings in bank but ain't too sure what to do with it. I'm not particularly frugal or a spendthrift so I'm saving about $300 on a monthly basis. Its a really slow and tedious process....To be honest, I'm quite sad that my knowledge for investment is pretty bad which is why I've chucked the cash aside and not thought about how to grow it further....

To those who've been there done that, what route is the better to take?
    Last edited by fevernova; 29th January 2010 at 01:42 PM.

no not offended at all.
    i think good sex is only important after marriage.
    My dear Granny, always maintained that you must try the shoe to see if it fits, no matter how many shoes you try. Must have worked she was married to my grandfather for over 60years.

But more important was the hidden message, if a couple cant communicate in the bedroom, its doomed. Because in reality, on average you will spend 8 hours together in that room each day, its the only time of the day you are physically in one place at one moment in time.

So what do you do, talk to each other about your day, about the kids, or just kiss, say good night rollover and sleep. Not a chance of working right ?
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

ok this is not complain just the truth ..

my parents stay in kampong not Sg.. they started their small business in my kampong hometown with 2-3k 15 years ago.. now they earn 150-200k per year now and they are in their 50s

for me, 7 year study in sg.. local Uni grads now, earn 30-35k per year .. thanks to recession..and 24k study loan.. pay loan , pay house rental end of the money no saving

Many guys are slow/late in accumulating their wealth if they are working on a fixed income with no money from their parents to start with.
    They would have to support their families (parents, siblings, etc) and plan for their own future (if they are thoughtful enough) by putting money aside in insurance, etc.
    With the relatively low income to start with, cash savings will be reasonably low. Depending on the rate of increase in the income vs that of the increasing cost of living, his monthly salary may be barely sufficient allowing him little cash saving. This situation may continue well into his early 30's. Whether he marries may not have much impact as I would assume his other half would jointly work out the finances together.
    I know of a friend who gave his parents 25% of his monthly income even when he first started working (today he still gives about 12%). Spend another 15% on insurance savings. Bought a super old car, one that was 14 years old and didn't splurge on clothing, branded stuffs, etc. He didn't have much cash at age 30, around $15k. But by 35 years old, he had paid off his HDB. Upgraded to a new 1.6l car. At that time he also bought a condo for investment and is self-paying now. He later upgraded to a new 2l car. Although he could afford a GS300, he will put off that till his current 2l's COE expires. He is now looking at buying a second condo for investment and already begins to collect returns from those shorter term insurance policies. Not to forget that he is now an experienced management level with yearly income of $150k. Not tremendous but decent enough.
    My point is, if that girl he had met and married 10 years ago decided to stick to him, they would be living pretty happily and comfortably today. He is still single today. That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaboy View Post
    ok this is not complain just the truth ..

my parents stay in kampong not Sg.. they started their small business in my kampong hometown with 2-3k 15 years ago.. now they earn 150-200k per year now and they are in their 50s

for me, 7 year study in sg.. local Uni grads now, earn 30-35k per year .. thanks to recession..and 24k study loan.. pay loan , pay house rental end of the money no saving
    your last para is a typical example of a local uni grad joining the workforce.
    35k a year?i understand.

you cant save ****.

Personally, i just feel it so funny......

Monies Monies that's cause your worries. Monies Monies here i come mati for you.... Monies...

your last para is a typical example of a local uni grad joining the workforce.
    35k a year?i understand.

you cant save ****.
    i dont even earn 3.5k a year....

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    Any advice to younger guys out there like me? I'm 22 this year and I'm doing my Under-grad @ NTU. Got about 30k of savings in bank but ain't too sure what to do with it. I'm not particularly frugal or a spendthrift so I'm saving about $300 on a monthly basis. Its a really slow and tedious process....To be honest, I'm quite sad that my knowledge for investment is pretty bad which is why I've chucked the cash aside and not thought about how to grow it further....

To those who've been there done that, what route is the better to take?
    how you do it sia ?
    30k...when you stated working ?

i also don't know what to do with my cash but do you plan to use your cash for your study loan ?
    i believe clearing the study loan asap after your studies is a good way to keep interest rates at its minimum.
    right now, my current target would be 40k before the age of 30...don't know if is possible a not

perhaps need to go into shares...maybe can find out more from my broker friend in dbs.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 29th January 2010 at 02:49 PM.

jeanie it's really sad if the guys who are dating you are out for your money.
    I don't know many men who would marry a woman for her money.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I don't know many men who would marry a woman for her money.
    u just made me fell.........

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my dream car!!!!!!!!!!!

you don't insult my dream car i tell you
    I like to see your posts, humorous at times.

Quote Originally Posted by SK1968 View Post
    Many guys are slow/late in accumulating their wealth if they are working on a fixed income with no money from their parents to start with.
    They would have to support their families (parents, siblings, etc) and plan for their own future (if they are thoughtful enough) by putting money aside in insurance, etc.
    With the relatively low income to start with, cash savings will be reasonably low. Depending on the rate of increase in the income vs that of the increasing cost of living, his monthly salary may be barely sufficient allowing him little cash saving. This situation may continue well into his early 30's. Whether he marries may not have much impact as I would assume his other half would jointly work out the finances together.
    I know of a friend who gave his parents 25% of his monthly income even when he first started working (today he still gives about 12%). Spend another 15% on insurance savings. Bought a super old car, one that was 14 years old and didn't splurge on clothing, branded stuffs, etc. He didn't have much cash at age 30, around $15k. But by 35 years old, he had paid off his HDB. Upgraded to a new 1.6l car. At that time he also bought a condo for investment and is self-paying now. He later upgraded to a new 2l car. Although he could afford a GS300, he will put off that till his current 2l's COE expires. He is now looking at buying a second condo for investment and already begins to collect returns from those shorter term insurance policies. Not to forget that he is now an experienced management level with yearly income of $150k. Not tremendous but decent enough.
    My point is, if that girl he had met and married 10 years ago decided to stick to him, they would be living pretty happily and comfortably today. He is still single today. That's life.
    I just feel alot of girls are looking for quick and easy lifestyle now. Gone are the days where they stick with u no matter what happen. It didn't happen in my mum lifetime, it definitely not going to happen in this era.

U should be looking for the son of a rich man, who is borne with a spade in his mouth

need inputs from you guys.

for a guy 35 years old, being in the workforce for 10 years, is 30k savings
    -too little
    -ok, acceptable
    -wah...alot already

if too little, how much savings in your opinion should he have?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    how you do it sia ?
    30k...when you stated working ?

i also don't know what to do with my cash but do you plan to use your cash for your study loan ?
    i believe clearing the study loan asap after your studies is a good way to keep interest rates at its minimum.
    right now, my current target would be 40k before the age of 30...don't know if is possible a not

perhaps need to go into shares...maybe can find out more from my broker friend in dbs.
    I haven't start working...Still in UNI...

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast