Thread: Developing Questions

Default Developing Questions

Hihi, I developed some photos yesterday and I was looking at the series of alphabets at the back of the prints. I think its ranging from NNNN to NNND. Can someone tell me what does these alphabets indicate, especially the last one? Thanks in advance

Deregistered

You sent to a Frontier lab to print?

N - 1st alphabet refers to amount of Cyan compensation
    N - 2nd alphabet refers to amount of Magenta compensation
    N - 3rd alphanet refers to amount of Yellow compensation
    N - 4th/last alphabet refers to amount of Density compensation

If any of the 4 characters are in numeric (ie number form, like 1,2,5,etc), it means that the lab has added that particular compensation. If they are in alphabetic (ie, A,C,D,G,etc), it means a reduction of that value.

So, if you get NN1D, it means that the lab has adjusted Yellow by upping it by 1 stop and lightened your source image by 4 stops (made brighter).

Most of the time, good Frontier labs will not adjust more than + or - 2 stops for the Cyan-Magenta-Yellow compensations, unless your source image is really of that bad a quality.

Density Compensation
    This is the last character in the reading. Density refers to the brightness/constrast of the photo. Numeric (number) values mean an increase of density or a darkening of the picture output. This is usually for over-exposed photos.
    An alphabetical value (A, B, C and so on) mean that the lab has minused or reduced the density. This also means that they have "brightened" or lightened the final output image. Why do so? Most of the time, an average digital camera (PnS, prosumer and DSLRs) will produce images that are 1-2 stops underexposed or dimmer than its corresponding film counterpart. So the lab adjusts for that.

Reading the values
    1, 2, 3 and so on is pretty simple. The higher the number, the greater the amount compensated by the lab. Alphabet values are the same. A means a "-1" (minus one) compensation while a D means "-4".

Printing NNNN values
    Calibrate or adjust your monitor and camera to get a very close or identical colors/brightness as your lab(s) and do your adjustments on your PC before sending them to print. It is possible to get 90% accuracy out-of-camera. You just need to understand you own cam, master it and try out a sequence of test prints from it at your favourite lab. Match the colours your get until you are happy and stay with that lab.

Perhaps others can add to what I've posted.

Deregistered

Updated material
    ALL Fuji FDI Frontier labs are supposed to generate this printout at the back of every print. Some do not seem to do so because they did not change the inking cartridge for it. You have every right to request that they do, so that you know what adjustments, if any were done to your print.
    Note also that this applies to all digital prints.

Prints from negatives have a silimar set of markings.