Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surabaya, Mt Bromo & Malang

Default Re: Surabaya, Mt Bromo & Malang

Quote Originally Posted by liquidforce View Post
    PM me your email. .I'll send out tonight (it's at home)
    Thank you so much...
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    i booked the room direct from the link below.

http://www.globaladventureindonesia....ew%20lodge.htm
    Our Lava View Lodge accommodation has been booked through them.

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by ardaan View Post
    I traveled to Bromo yearly in December and spend the Christmas there. Don't be fool by the weather. You will be amazed that the most spectacular shots that I have taken were during the worst time of the year in December.
    Thanks. I'm trying to arrange transport for our group to make our traveling easier.

BTW, are you really "mio cade" in flickr? You're in my contact list, that's why am asking.

those minibuses will hijack u..meaning taking their own sweet time until u pay the amount they are asking for..

don't bother to bargain..they will just stop at a warung and have a drink..

so have more pple or book a private kijang.

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    those minibuses will hijack u..meaning taking their own sweet time until u pay the amount they are asking for..

don't bother to bargain..they will just stop at a warung and have a drink..

so have more pple or book a private kijang.
    Not sure if you're referring to me. But anyway, the transpo i'm arranging is with Pondok Tours. Me and my friends happen to have availed of their services when we visited Yogyakarta last year and were happy with the level of service provided. Since they are able to provide the same service in Surabaya, I'm leaning towards getting them again... save us the trouble of worrying about transpo in and around Surabaya/Bromo.

Guys, if you have any other suggestion/advise on Bromo/Surabaya... please share. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Thanks. I'm trying to arrange transport for our group to make our traveling easier.

BTW, are you really "mio cade" in flickr? You're in my contact list, that's why am asking.

Yes I am Mio Cade. And you are ? haha
    Mio Cade flickr

Not sure if you're referring to me. But anyway, the transpo i'm arranging is with Pondok Tours. Me and my friends happen to have availed of their services when we visited Yogyakarta last year and were happy with the level of service provided. Since they are able to provide the same service in Surabaya, I'm leaning towards getting them again... save us the trouble of worrying about transpo in and around Surabaya/Bromo.

Guys, if you have any other suggestion/advise on Bromo/Surabaya... please share. Thanks!

I have no such problem with the public minibus. But yes they would wait for enough passengers before leaving. But you would have opportunity to ask the local passenger how much is the fare. It is standard .
    Mio Cade flickr

Hi There,
    I live in Surabaya, just drop me an e-mail if you need more information regarding your visit.
    Maybe I can do something for your visit.
    My e-mail address : edi78us@yahoo.com
    Regards

Somebody mentioned Ijen on this thread... I google for it, and turned out it's the one with the sulfur mining and crater place... interesting! Other than the crater, what other places make Ijen attractive? I read there's the coffee plantation, the hotspring and the waterfalls?

Asking the above coz we're now seriously considering spending only 1 night in Lava View in order to make a trip to Ijen. Heard it's about 7 and 8 hours ride from Bromo and to Surabaya, respectively so in a way, we wanna assess whether the long trip is gonna be worth it.

Somebody mentioned Ijen on this thread... I google for it, and turned out it's the one with the sulfur mining and crater place... interesting! Other than the crater, what other places make Ijen attractive? I read there's the coffee plantation, the hotspring and the waterfalls?

Asking the above coz we're now seriously considering spending only 1 night in Lava View in order to make a trip to Ijen. Heard it's about 7 and 8 hours ride from Bromo and to Surabaya, respectively so in a way, we wanna assess whether the long trip is gonna be worth it.

If your knees still can carry your weight, explore Ijen. But it would only be meaningful if you catch the early hour track with the local workers. Beware of the concentrated sulpheric acid though. It stints your lungs. I would rather stay in Bromo. If you need my Bromo kids (they are very young horsemen - 13 and 15 year old) , do let me know as they can bring you around with their horses and even bring you to their village. But they can't speak English. They still contact me regularly.
    Mio Cade flickr

If you like animals there's a safari on the way down from Bromo. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the safari, but the animals are tame and free ranging, come all the way up to the window. Was good fun.
    Make sure you bring winter wear for Bromo, froze my butt off the last time we were there!

If your knees still can carry your weight, explore Ijen. But it would only be meaningful if you catch the early hour track with the local workers. Beware of the concentrated sulpheric acid though. It stints your lungs.
    Indeed. Have been watching some youtube videos on ijen crater and the sulfur miners. Kind of give us second thoughts..

I would rather stay in Bromo. If you need my Bromo kids (they are very young horsemen - 13 and 15 year old) , do let me know as they can bring you around with their horses and even bring you to their village. But they can't speak English. They still contact me regularly.
    Your kids? Seriously? That's something to look forward to!

Just having trip to Ijen on last September & Bromo on Last January.
    Here's some outline for those trip.

1. Bromo
    About 4 hours by car from Surabaya to Probolinggo and another 1.5 hours more from Probolinggo to Cemoro Lawang.
    From Cemoro Lawang, using 4WD car to Penanjakan, place to see the sun rise.
    (it's about 1 hour drive from Cemoro Lawang)
    Cost for renting the 4WD is about IDR 350.000 (depend you continue to savana or not)
    Usually when you go to Penanjakan during holiday, you'll find crowd of people waiting for the sun rise.
    Therefore it would be difficult to have good spot for shooting the sunrise.
    Otherwise you willing to go to Penanjakan in the very early morning & wait there.
    There's 2 spot at Penanjakan for viewing the sun rise, Penanjakan 1 & 2.
    Popular one, where most of bromo picture taken is from Penanjakan 1.
    Usually during holiday, there would be traffic jam on penanjakan & car have to stop down bellow the penanjakan spot.
    Anyhow don't be fool by people offer you motorbike ride namely "ojek".
    If you want to use their service be clear on the price, you must be specific IDR 10.000 is for 1 motorbike or for per person.
    (usually 1 motorbike can load 3 person including the rider)

Usually Itinerary to Bromo, Penanjakan in the morning to get the sun rise.
    Go down to the mountain & hike to the crater.
    Continue to visit the savana (not so popular, just to see green hills)
    All those trip can be finished by mid day.
    So if you want to continue to Ijen, it's good to reach Bondowoso by afternoon.

Will continue with Ijen soon...

Yeah, if you need their service, let me know...so I could prompt them to get ready with horses...and I give u his mobile number.

Indeed. Have been watching some youtube videos on ijen crater and the sulfur miners. Kind of give us second thoughts..

Your kids? Seriously? That's something to look forward to!

Mio Cade flickr

@edi78us: thanks for the info. looking forward to what you have to say for ijen.
    @ardaan: i'll let my traveling companions know. Thanks.

@edi78us: thanks for the info. looking forward to what you have to say for ijen.
    @ardaan: i'll let my traveling companions know. Thanks.

If your still looking for another companion, please let me know..

Thanks!
    ╬Pachelbel in D .357cal

the climb up and down of Ijen with the workers that got us ... the story the told ... the suffering they endure ... i shot a small doco of it with my wife as d host ... she actually broke down and cry while i myself controlling my tears when we overheard one of the worker said to his friend in bahasa "we here doing this hard labour just to feed our wife and kids"

even after so long ... n while m typing this ... i felt goost bumb and tear start to form ...

the road there will be much bumpy for most people ... but for us is worth it .. maybe because we rather mix with d local and get the real story from them then being a tourist and they just hunt us down for our money ...

Yes, this sure refreshes my memory! Do remember to ask fellow passengers the bus fares and prepare exact change ....... they always try to charge foreigners double or give the excuse that they do not have change.

I traveled to Bromo yearly in December and spend the Christmas there. Don't be fool by the weather. You will be amazed that the most spectacular shots that I have taken were during the worst time of the year in December.

I would usually took a public bus from Surabaya Bungurasih terminal, about 10 km south of the city. I would alight at Probolinggo bus terminal (around 2 hours journey) and get out of the bus terminal and look for public minibuses that run up to Cemoro Lawang on the crater rim, the main tourist centre for Bromo. It takes about an hour. Total cost per person is around 70,000RP. (one way)

But if you have more than 3 persons I would recommend you to book a private Kijang (Toyota MPV) from Surabaya to Bromo and return to Surabaya on the same day. But set off early in the morning at 2am.

I would usually stay 2 nights in Bromo to enjoy the cold air and spectacular sunrise.

At the terminal ask for

Quote Originally Posted by billycadiz View Post
    If your still looking for another companion, please let me know..

Thanks!
    Seriously? Hehe. That's something I'll have to check with the rest of the guys. But I think it's gonna be fine with them. However, I think ideally the next group size should be 8 (Pondok has a bus that can take up to 8 persons) for cost reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by edi78us View Post
    Just having trip to Ijen on last September & Bromo on Last January.
    Here's some outline for those trip.

1. Bromo
    About 4 hours by car from Surabaya to Probolinggo and another 1.5 hours more from Probolinggo to Cemoro Lawang.
    From Cemoro Lawang, using 4WD car to Penanjakan, place to see the sun rise.
    (it's about 1 hour drive from Cemoro Lawang)
    Cost for renting the 4WD is about IDR 350.000 (depend you continue to savana or not)
    Usually when you go to Penanjakan during holiday, you'll find crowd of people waiting for the sun rise.
    Therefore it would be difficult to have good spot for shooting the sunrise.
    Otherwise you willing to go to Penanjakan in the very early morning & wait there.
    There's 2 spot at Penanjakan for viewing the sun rise, Penanjakan 1 & 2.
    Popular one, where most of bromo picture taken is from Penanjakan 1.
    Usually during holiday, there would be traffic jam on penanjakan & car have to stop down bellow the penanjakan spot.
    Anyhow don't be fool by people offer you motorbike ride namely "ojek".
    If you want to use their service be clear on the price, you must be specific IDR 10.000 is for 1 motorbike or for per person.
    (usually 1 motorbike can load 3 person including the rider)

Usually Itinerary to Bromo, Penanjakan in the morning to get the sun rise.
    Go down to the mountain & hike to the crater.
    Continue to visit the savana (not so popular, just to see green hills)
    All those trip can be finished by mid day.
    So if you want to continue to Ijen, it's good to reach Bondowoso by afternoon.

Will continue with Ijen soon...

Bro,

Understand Penanjakan 1 - this is the popular one, where most of bromo picture taken.

What about Penanjakan 2 - What can be expected there ? Hows the view there? Any information you can share on Penanjakan 2 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast