Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Default Watches

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

the lighting, styling, post production, etc

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

did a product shoot and tried to turn it into a ad copy.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

tired and time limited.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

lots of difficulty in setting up the lighting for reflective items without light tent and prior experience. only have abt 5 mins to setup n take the shot. no experience in styling products as well but thought stacking them was quite a good idea. used the colorful background to relate to the watches. couldnt find a colorful image of metallic objects which might make it look better?

Default Re: Watches

This works for me as an ad. However i dont feel an impact from the image.
    I also felt that its very much 2D due to lack of shadows or the shadows are too subtle.
    Last edited by blurry80; 28th January 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Member/Tangshooter

I am not an expert in product shoot, just saying what I feel about the shot:

The LCD screen seems too dark comparing to the pink background. I feel that the watch's back-light should be turned ON to make this shoot more interesting and solid.

Little bit of refection can be added to the ground.

YES, the pinkish background did bring out the fun and style of this type of new-age digital watches.

well done,
    Kang

no expert here...but i think a darker background other than pink will bring about more contrast and impact to the pink watches

another thing is the time is different....on purpose?
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

The backdrop colour blends in with the colour of the watches very well.
    Nice shot!

this is slightly too pink for me. but hey, the gals would love it. other than that, i feel the watches blend too much in the background, unless this was done intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    This works for me as an ad. However i dont feel an impact from the image.
    I also felt that its very much 2D due to lack of shadows or the shadows are too subtle.
    thanks for the critique. felt the pic was abit flat as well but it was shot as a high key shot to begin with and i needed all the details on the watches to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    I am not an expert in product shoot, just saying what I feel about the shot:

The LCD screen seems too dark comparing to the pink background. I feel that the watch's back-light should be turned ON to make this shoot more interesting and solid.

Little bit of refection can be added to the ground.

YES, the pinkish background did bring out the fun and style of this type of new-age digital watches.

well done,
    Kang
    thanks for the tip. i think turning on the lcd light is an excellent idea. unfortunately they are all dummy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    no expert here...but i think a darker background other than pink will bring about more contrast and impact to the pink watches

another thing is the time is different....on purpose?
    i see. i was trying to link the background with the watches. maybe u are right. have to find something else suitable.

the watches are all fake. can't adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    The backdrop colour blends in with the colour of the watches very well.
    Nice shot!
    thanks for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by rronnie View Post
    this is slightly too pink for me. but hey, the gals would love it. other than that, i feel the watches blend too much in the background, unless this was done intentionally.
    i think so too but i cant find a suitable background. maybe something more shiny is more interesting.

hi

i agree with the others that the back-light of the watches can be turned on where possible.

Lighting could be better esp the front of the watches

Also take note the time on the watches are different.

The colors and the way u arranged the products semed like suggesting a "Playful" note. It seemed to be targeting at a younger consumer segment. Maybe u could add in a prop or two to further emphasize that.

hmm i personally think its a rather good shot..works for me without the backlit...=)

Quote Originally Posted by earthling82 View Post
    hi

i agree with the others that the back-light of the watches can be turned on where possible.

Lighting could be better esp the front of the watches

Also take note the time on the watches are different.

The colors and the way u arranged the products semed like suggesting a "Playful" note. It seemed to be targeting at a younger consumer segment. Maybe u could add in a prop or two to further emphasize that.
    thanks for the c&c. limited by my experience in lighting products. hopefully get a chance to do it again and have more time this round. encountering problems with reflection and highlights.

most of the time is dummy watches so can't do a thing abt the time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SVG84R View Post
    hmm i personally think its a rather good shot..works for me without the backlit...=)
    thanks. the backlit will show the watches backlight feature but too bad it doesnt work. the color scheme may clash as well even if it does.

Member/Tangshooter

just trying to see how the effect will be...

cheers,
    Kang

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    just trying to see how the effect will be...

cheers,
    Kang
    im undecided on it. i like the backlit faces but the color doesnt seem to work with the color scheme.

revised with new backlit color.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post

revised with new backlit color.
    move the watches further down the frame can..

otherwise they are like happily floating in pink outer space, which can be a problem.

no need to make it pink, colors that work in harmony will do, if you make it pink it just gets very boring.........

p.s. why do you have not 1, not 2, but THREE pink watches?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    move the watches further down the frame can..

otherwise they are like happily floating in pink outer space, which can be a problem.

no need to make it pink, colors that work in harmony will do, if you make it pink it just gets very boring.........

p.s. why do you have not 1, not 2, but THREE pink watches?
    leaving some space for copy and stuff. so trying to visualise the final ad if it does.

pink pink nice mah. no? u prefer what color?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast