Thread: PS/CS4 Printer Colour Problem : Advice Needed

Smile PS/CS4 Printer Colour Problem : Advice Needed

Hi all tailos,

I am new to PS/CS4 but had done alot of readups and research on color profiling and printer profiling and wanted to print some edited pictures from photoshop. The problem I face is, all the pictures just don't turn out to be close to the monitor preview despite having done the followings:

1) Macbk Pro calibrated with Xrite i1 Display LT;
    2) Pictures shot in sRGB RAW and imported into Adobe Bridge;
    3) PS colour setting set to "Working space : Adobe RGB1998 with preview;
    4) PS Proof set to printer paper profile with preview;
    5) When printing, Colour Management set to "Photoshop manages colour";
    6) In printer command, Colour Management set to "No colour management"

The result of the print is still atleast 20% off what I see on the screen, can any tailo advice me what if I am missing something?

Btw, the printer used is Epson TX800FW with Premium Glossy Paper, if this matters.

Appreciate your time spent reading this!
    5DII, 7D, 16-35f2.8 II, 24-105f4, 70-200f2.8, 70-200f4, 100-400f4.5-5.6, 135f2, 580II, BG-E6

Default Re: PS/CS4 Printer Colour Problem : Advice Needed

what's the color temperature of your viewing/printing area? does it match your monitor's white point?
    sigh.

Hi,

Many thanks for post, sorry I do not understand what you meant, kindly elaborate. If you are referring the the ambient light of my viewing/printing area, it's florescent lighting. How can I match the monitor's white point?

Frankly I do not think the viewing lighting affected the print but some setting I might have missed causing this.
    5DII, 7D, 16-35f2.8 II, 24-105f4, 70-200f2.8, 70-200f4, 100-400f4.5-5.6, 135f2, 580II, BG-E6

Quote Originally Posted by ivan6868 View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks for post, sorry I do not understand what you meant, kindly elaborate. If you are referring the the ambient light of my viewing/printing area, it's florescent lighting. How can I match the monitor's white point?
    I believe he means what is the white point that your monitor is profiled to... this could significantly affect colour reproduction on your monitor...

also, I would like to ask what is the gamma the monitor is profiled to... this could affect the relative "brightness" levels of the monitor (pls google for a detail explanation of gamma cause abit difficult to explain in a short post), which in concert with white point or independent of it, could affect the perception of colour...
    Last edited by theRBK; 29th January 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Many thanks bros!

I have the following information captured from the monitor profile as below for your reference:

Version = "ProfilingLib 5.0.0 1.75 Oct 15 2009"
    ProfilerType = 3
    GopMode = false
    ProfileSize = 0
    UseLinearization = 1
    Perceptual = 1
    Options = {
    Copyright = "Copyright by LOGO GmbH, Steinfurt"
    BlackCompensation = "0"
    .MntrTargetGamma = "2.2"
    .MntrTargetTemperature = "6500"
    .MntrMinLuminance = "0.4"
    .MntrLuminance = "283"
    .MntrTemperatur = "6500"
    MonitorGammaModel = "2"

Media White Point Info:
    X: 0.964
    Y: 1.000
    Z: 0.825

Hopeful these information are useful for your evaluation. Thanks!

one other thing... is your florescent lighting "daylight", "cool/white light", "warm light", or even visibly greenish?

basically most home flourescent lighting will generate a cooler light with a tinge of green hue. that might be a factor in the color difference, and also the metamerism properties of the paper you're printing on.

btw, i1 display is quite cmi IMHO.. used it some time back and i just couldnt get a decently low deltaE profile. get a spyder3 at least.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    basically most home flourescent lighting will generate a cooler light with a tinge of green hue. that might be a factor in the color difference, and also the metamerism properties of the paper you're printing on.

btw, i1 display is quite cmi IMHO.. used it some time back and i just couldnt get a decently low deltaE profile. get a spyder3 at least.
    Thanks alot!

I will continue to explore and see how I can resolve this...you guys are great!