Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,953

    Default The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    From TOP

    Uzbek photographer Umida Akhmedova is awaiting trial and is facing a potential sentence of six months in prison or three years forced labor. At issue is a 2007 work called Men and Women from Dawn to Dusk that contains approximately 100 of her photographs of life and customs in Uzbekistan. A special commission tasked by the government prosecutor has analyzed the photographs and charged Ms. Akhmedova with "defamation and insulting Uzbek traditions."
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...akhmedova.html

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8473285.stm

    this is a sad thing to happen to Ms Akhmedova, seems she is the target of a overzealous information / culture ministry.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Pride makes one blind to the reality and to mistakes of their own...............

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    I don't see what's wrong with her photos... it seems like they are targeting her in an unreasonable manner.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    that's what i thought too. before i saw the photos, i thought maybe it had gritty scenes of drug abuse, famine, etc. but the photos are really just straightforward documentary shots.....the comment on the road sweeper photo was disturbing if a person can be prosecuted for 'suggests that there are no other jobs than cleaning in our city'

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    wow.. scary.. these are images that most of us will take when travelling..
    wonder if they will charge tourists ?

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Sometimes, I'm really glad to be in Singapore, despite so many people complaining about restrictions of photographers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    circumcision ceremony is a gritty scene
    I experience it when I was young

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    circumcision ceremony is a gritty scene
    I experience it when I was young
    My relatives recount the old kampung days when it was done on a fallen tree trunk and ceremonial parangs ...

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
    circumcision ceremony is a gritty scene
    I experience it when I was young
    maybe the govt official who is prosecuting the photog was in the pic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    My relatives recount the old kampung days when it was done on a fallen tree trunk and ceremonial parangs ...

  10. #10

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Surprised? I'm not.. This has been happening to journalists for the past.. 30 years. Most if not all Governments are Authoritarian/ Autocratic. Democracy is almost dead in this age..
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

  11. #11
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Weird...
    Those pictures are beautiful. What's so offensive about it?

    Maybe her shots are better than those taken by some authority in charge of tourism? This case can be considered as insulting government officials!!!
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    ridiculous

  13. #13
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ridiculous
    exactly. if it was me, the pic with the broom lady is like an award winning one.

    wth is with that place? i think the act of prosecuting her is the REAL insult to their own country.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    exactly. if it was me, the pic with the broom lady is like an award winning one.
    erm, no, i don't think of it more than a simple picture of daily life....

    here are some nice pictures of photojournalism:

    http://www.thespiderawards.com/prese...php?x=a&cid=48
    http://www.thespiderawards.com/prese...php?x=p&cid=48

    but whatever the case, i think it's quite spastic for saying that many picutres of sweepers --> city only has jobs as sweepers.

    so if i just shoot say, ants in the place, will they jail me for representing their country as a place full of nothing but ants?

  15. #15
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    erm, no, i don't think of it more than a simple picture of daily life....

    here are some nice pictures of photojournalism:

    http://www.thespiderawards.com/prese...php?x=a&cid=48
    http://www.thespiderawards.com/prese...php?x=p&cid=48

    but whatever the case, i think it's quite spastic for saying that many picutres of sweepers --> city only has jobs as sweepers.

    so if i just shoot say, ants in the place, will they jail me for representing their country as a place full of nothing but ants?
    no lar. i find it quite nice. perhaps i jsut havent seen bigger mountains (:
    and yes its retarded. i gotta admit. sigh. u think anything ppl can do to help her?

  16. #16

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and yes its retarded. i gotta admit. sigh. u think anything ppl can do to help her?
    the simple answer is no.

    look at the noise going on globally about aung san suu kyi. anything changed?

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and yes its retarded. i gotta admit. sigh. u think anything ppl can do to help her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Maybe her shots are better than those taken by some authority in charge of tourism? This case can be considered as insulting government officials!!!
    i'm not sure why they targeted her photos since a search for Uzbekistan on Flickr will probably get results very similar to her work, but it appears that her coverage of Uzbek minorities may be the real reason for the prosecution.

    http://globalvoicesonline.org/2009/1...ida-akhmedova/

  18. #18

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    she's not the first, and is not going to be the last.

    daughters are killed by their fathers for getting raped.

    and it's all very tragic.

  19. #19

    Default Re: The Plight of Umida Akhmedova

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the simple answer is no.

    look at the noise going on globally about aung san suu kyi. anything changed?
    the country have no oils.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •