Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What will you do??

  1. #1

    Default What will you do??

    hi all, just want to ask few questions as i was caught in a situation in a wedding shoot during dinner time.

    i was shooting for a couple who happen to my be friends as well recently. and i met this super irriating and rude fellow who keeps whipping out his PNS and insisting that i shoot with his camera. esp during the table grp shoot time. I tried explaining to him that he will have the photos once i pass to the couple, but he will have no for an answer. to that extent when i get someone else to take for him, he actually tell the person to make sure that it was taken properly and a poor waitress actually kenna scolding from him and not framing properly. S my question is

    1. how to deal with this kind of ppl who is just unreasonable and rude?
    2. will u help to take the pics when they pass u the cameras?
    3. what happen if during 1 table there is 5 cameras coming to u?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What will you do??

    tell them politely that you are doing a job for the couple, and time is scarce, you cannot do your job properly and be answerable to the couple if you are constantly helping others do things rather than doing the job for the one's who engaged you.if they insist, get one of the wedding helpers to help that guy.

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What will you do??

    what I usually do is tell the person whoever pass me their camera, first shot is FREE, subsequent shot is $20 per piece. nobody ever ask me again.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by mingtan79 View Post

    1. how to deal with this kind of ppl who is just unreasonable and rude?
    2. will u help to take the pics when they pass u the cameras?
    3. what happen if during 1 table there is 5 cameras coming to u?

    Thanks.
    1. be nice and polite to them.

    2. then throw their camera into the steamed fish dish.

    3. throw the nasty ones' cameras into the steamed fish dish.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by mingtan79 View Post

    1. how to deal with this kind of ppl who is just unreasonable and rude?
    2. will u help to take the pics when they pass u the cameras?
    3. what happen if during 1 table there is 5 cameras coming to u?

    Thanks.
    To answer:

    1) Be polite and tell him to wait as you are the offical photographer and he should respect the fact you are there doing a job. 25 Years ago I did an Italian wedding (500+ guests), and got trapped by a guy like this but he was outright obnoxious and kept pestering me until I had a quite whisper in his ear that if he didn't shut the F*/*k up he'd be going to hospital in about 15 seconds time and that they'd be digging a few pounds of camera out of his head.


    2) Yes, in my own time, which means he is going to have to wait until I have time free to do it.

    3) You should be able to do all 5 in less than 40 seconds if they are P&S ... back years ago when I did weddings on the side I'd just say "sorry no time" and suggest they take turns or get someone from another table.

    Always do it with a smile on your face.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  6. #6

    Default Re: What will you do??

    If the couple are inside the photo, I won't mind taking pictures with guest's PnS. In the end, I'm hired for their service and if they think it's good to spend time with their friends, of course I can use my "hired time" to perform such tasks.

    But of course, 5 cameras from the same table is a bit illogical. I would advise them to share among each other or to seek for the couple's advise.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: What will you do??

    ok. thanks for all the advise. next time i will prepare an extra useless camera for the purposes

  8. #8

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Well, wedding is a happy function.

    If the guest ask, just take smile and take one. If the couple left the table, you follow the couple, if the couple still on the table, I don't see why not. If they are irritating, just smile and politely move on.

    At the end of the day, it is not just your end pictures that sells your service. It is your demeanor on the wedding that counts.

    Hope it helps.

    Hart

  9. #9
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Well, wedding is a happy function.

    If the guest ask, just take smile and take one. If the couple left the table, you follow the couple, if the couple still on the table, I don't see why not. If they are irritating, just smile and politely move on.

    At the end of the day, it is not just your end pictures that sells your service. It is your demeanor on the wedding that counts.

    Hope it helps.

    Hart
    second that in fact, smiling back at them when they tried their very best to irritate/anger u more makes them alot more irritated

    whether to help them or not is your freedom of choice. they dun haf the rights to force u to help them

  10. #10

    Default Re: What will you do??

    If all else fails, SMILE! SMILE! And SMILE some more at that person or table. The more angelic your body langauge, the better it gets.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Yup.. flash your most charming smile at them.. you never know.. they might be your next client!

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Yup.. flash your most charming smile at them.. you never know.. they might be your next client!
    be careful, they might ask the photographer to take photos of their cats, dogs, fishes, birds, Hello Kitty, Pooh Bear, Micky Mouse, Dora together with them on their wedding day.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by mingtan79 View Post
    1. how to deal with this kind of ppl who is just unreasonable and rude?
    2. will u help to take the pics when they pass u the cameras?
    3. what happen if during 1 table there is 5 cameras coming to u?
    1 - carry a spare flash & fire at him at full manual output

    2 - take the camera from them & take out the memory card & tell them you'll transfer the photos over & pass it back to them 3 days later

    3 - repeat #2

    If all the above fails, be nice & just do this chap a favor & take a shot for him. Who knows he might engage you for your services next time. Remember that you are in the service line & so you have to maintain your integrity. Don't hurt your own name in this industry
    Take the shot!

  14. #14

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    be careful, they might ask the photographer to take photos of their cats, dogs, fishes, birds, Hello Kitty, Pooh Bear, Micky Mouse, Dora together with them on their wedding day.
    Then charge them base fee + 8 x surcharge.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Then charge them base fee + 8 x surcharge.
    people like them, will ask you can you take passport photos for himself, wife, father, mother, brothers, sisters as well, and since you are there, can also take head shots for their ah gong, ah mah, can use for put it in front of lorry one.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    people like them, will ask you can you take passport photos for himself, wife, father, mother, brothers, sisters as well, and since you are there, can also take head shots for their ah gong, ah mah, can use for put it in front of lorry one.
    I see you kenar before!

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I see you kenar before!
    ah boh than!!??

    so the best thing is tell people everything is chargeable, never never pau sua pau hai.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ah boh than!!??

    so the best thing is tell people everything is chargeable, never never pau sua pau hai.
    may be give excuse that the groom (or the bride) need to make a round very fast cos he has high tide, but tahan so can make his round to take pics with the guest so must go fast fast one

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by mingtan79 View Post
    hi all, just want to ask few questions as i was caught in a situation in a wedding shoot during dinner time.

    i was shooting for a couple who happen to my be friends as well recently. and i met this super irriating and rude fellow who keeps whipping out his PNS and insisting that i shoot with his camera. esp during the table grp shoot time. I tried explaining to him that he will have the photos once i pass to the couple, but he will have no for an answer. to that extent when i get someone else to take for him, he actually tell the person to make sure that it was taken properly and a poor waitress actually kenna scolding from him and not framing properly. S my question is

    1. how to deal with this kind of ppl who is just unreasonable and rude?
    2. will u help to take the pics when they pass u the cameras?
    3. what happen if during 1 table there is 5 cameras coming to u?

    Thanks.
    1. Smile and tell him that time is tight and the couple have to move on to the next table than I move to the next table to do the table arrangment beofre he have a chance to stop me while still keeping my smile.

    2. If it's for the same shot which I took and got time like during the day, OK but will tell them that I don't know how to use their camera so will not be responsible for the out come.

    3. Tell them that my camera can do a better job and to get the soft copy from the couple. If that fail, ask one of the brother to shoot for them while I go and arrange the next table for shoot.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: What will you do??

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    people like them, will ask you can you take passport photos for himself, wife, father, mother, brothers, sisters as well, and since you are there, can also take head shots for their ah gong, ah mah, can use for put it in front of lorry one.
    Passport photo I always tell them that got gov standard requiment and it will be worst if I shoot that they go all the way to gov dept and than kanna rejected.

    Shot of Ah Gong and Ah Mah, this one normal lah, just 10 sec. each finish liow .
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •