Thread: Need Advise on 'Pano' Type Rails

Default Need Advise on 'Pano' Type Rails

Hi, I am looking for a set of rails that can allow me to move my camera body sideways along the horizontal axis. Since I am not rotating, I am not looking for nodal rails but something simple for stitching a few photos together. Preferably something cheap and good (from China perhaps?) and available locally.

Does anyone have recommendations on which shop to go to and what is available .. and the price range? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need Advise on 'Pano' Type Rails

Quote Originally Posted by phazed1 View Post
    Hi, I am looking for a set of rails that can allow me to move my camera body sideways along the horizontal axis. Since I am not rotating, I am not looking for nodal rails but something simple for stitching a few photos together. Preferably something cheap and good (from China perhaps?) and available locally.

Does anyone have recommendations on which shop to go to and what is available .. and the price range? Thanks in advance.
    Hi, phazed1 bro.
    Interesting item you are describing here.
    What it is that you want it for, to enlighten me here leh?

Have a look on eBay for macro rails. There's sets of chinese made X-Y Rails with 150mm of movement available for around 70-80 SGD or so.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

bro - you can construct your own crude rail (i am assuming you do not need portability). you will need a tripod, 4 bamboo poles and 2 roller blades. use 2 legs of the tripod and stick each leg into one roller blade. form the 2 tracks using 2 bamboo poles each to guide the blades along the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hi, phazed1 bro.
    Interesting item you are describing here.
    What it is that you want it for, to enlighten me here leh?
    Mr Lim Sir Bro, not enlighten la. We all share share and together we are smarter! Economy picking up, clients put on weight, cannot fit into the frame

Seriously, if I have one of these rails, won't be limited by how wide the lens is. Take photos side by side and join them together. This is something I've been doing since film days .. but now dun need scotch tape. (better hide in case some old bird sifu catches me saying something wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Have a look on eBay for macro rails. There's sets of chinese made X-Y Rails with 150mm of movement available for around 70-80 SGD or so.
    Thanks Ian! Is it possible to get more than 150mm with geared rails?

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    bro - you can construct your own crude rail (i am assuming you do not need portability). you will need a tripod, 4 bamboo poles and 2 roller blades. use 2 legs of the tripod and stick each leg into one roller blade. form the 2 tracks using 2 bamboo poles each to guide the blades along the tracks.
    Hey pokie, good idea huh. I might put the tripod on a trolley with the wheels welded permanently so that they only move in one direction. Then I don't need the bamboo sticks .. let's do a joint venture.

For panoramas i would imagine (more so at the wider focal lengths) u need really long rails to do something like that. it is probably easier to get something that rotates about the nodal point.

U can try using a 50mm focal length for instance and shoot. and see how much u need to walk left or rightwards to get into a new frame for shooting.

ryan

http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/03.html

if don't mind the price i think this is slightly better... got markings for different lenses / different focal length... fit all Arca Swiss standard clamps...

I've seen this being used, and it makes even 360 panos astoundingly easy! I'm guessing it won't be cheap though.

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...a-photography/

Alternatively: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pan...amic&_osacat=0

Also, it seems that lots of folks have DIYed their own nodal point brackets quite affordably. Try doing a search.

Thanks Ian! Is it possible to get more than 150mm with geared rails?
    You could get a set fabricated, the rack and pinion used can be helical or straight. It wouldn't be cheap though. With those X-Y rails the rails are splittable so you can in theory stack them on top of each other to give you a couple of hundred mm or so of travel but then you'll start having problems with tripod balance in a lot of cases.

There are also geared bars available on the market, these are like a centre column of a tripod and have a small geared head. Very expensive though and hard to obtain in most countries.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    For panoramas i would imagine (more so at the wider focal lengths) u need really long rails to do something like that. it is probably easier to get something that rotates about the nodal point.

U can try using a 50mm focal length for instance and shoot. and see how much u need to walk left or rightwards to get into a new frame for shooting.

ryan
    Yea that's my dilemma right now. Pokemon suggested pushing the tripod on wheels.

I've not tried a nodal rail before (wanna spend my money wisely ) and I'm worried about my landscape images having a slight curvature to them. It seems that for landscapes that have foregrounds closer to the camera will suffer some 'distortion'. Or do you think that if you find the correct position for your lens then the distortion will go away? (assuming that I am not using fish eye) look at the distortion here:
    Last edited by phazed1; 25th January 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/03.html

if don't mind the price i think this is slightly better... got markings for different lenses / different focal length... fit all Arca Swiss standard clamps...
    yea they make pretty cool stuff .. drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I've seen this being used, and it makes even 360 panos astoundingly easy! I'm guessing it won't be cheap though.

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...a-photography/

Alternatively: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pan...amic&_osacat=0

Also, it seems that lots of folks have DIYed their own nodal point brackets quite affordably. Try doing a search.
    Hey thanks for the links! I was hoping to walk into a shop and buy one but now it seems most of the good stuff is only available on the net ...