Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English test for service staff

Default Re: English test for service staff

LOL... as if this will help.... knowing the FTs, they will do what they do with TOFEL... memorize the Q&A.....

Singapore is supposed to be multi-lingual, multi racial society. If they cannot speak english, we should be able to speak mandarin, tamil, malay or other dialects in order to communicate. yet we insist that they speak english. we spend so much time in school study so hard for wat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muckafutha View Post
    Singapore is supposed to be multi-lingual, multi racial society. If they cannot speak english, we should be able to speak mandarin, tamil, malay or other dialects in order to communicate. yet we insist that they speak english. we spend so much time in school study so hard for wat.
    erm. hello?

"we should be able to speak mandarin, tamil, malay or other dialects in order to communicate. "

try getting a china boy speaking to a malay in chinese.

use ur head and think. we want them speak english cause EVERYONE SPEAKS ENGLISH. ITS OUR COMMUNICATION MEDIUM

unless ur telling me u wanna learn malay and tamil to speak with ur other friends. in that case i have nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    try getting a china boy speaking to a malay in chinese.
    you are missing the point here.

the english test is for "service staff". this is correct, because they are about to work here and provide service, i do not disagree with the policy..

this has nothing to do with "boys" in school. i know many PRCs who couldn't speak a single word of english when they first came to singapore, now some of them are debators for top universities and they probably own the average singaporean in terms of english standards.

students will learn english sooner or later if they have the drive. even if they don't , they will eventually pick up a smattering for sure, more than enough to communicate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you are missing the point here.

the english test is for "service staff". this is correct, because they are about to work here and provide service, i do not disagree with the policy..

this has nothing to do with "boys" in school. i know many PRCs who couldn't speak a single word of english when they first came to singapore, now some of them are debators for top universities and they probably own the average singaporean in terms of english standards.

students will learn english sooner or later if they have the drive. even if they don't , they will eventually pick up a smattering for sure, more than enough to communicate.
    haha u misunderstand me. what the previous guy was saying was
    "If they cannot speak english, we should be able to speak mandarin, tamil, malay or other dialects in order to communicate. yet we insist that they speak english. we spend so much time in school study so hard for wat?"

i interpreted as, by substituting an example: tamil speaking indian
    if tamil speaking indian cannot speak english, we should be able to speak mandarin (75%), malay (15%), tamil (5%?). yet we insist that they speak english. we spend so much time in sch study for wad?"

yep.

so my reply to his argument was: cause 80% of us cant speak tamil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12