Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567
Results 121 to 138 of 138

Thread: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

  1. #121

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    U definitely not a XMM

    Hint:

    (1) Too MATURE to be one
    (2) Your gender does not fit into the category

  2. #122
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    That's easy. XMM = Xiao Mao Mi.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    I have a question, this morning, I was taking some pictures of my Daughter in a Swimming Pool Play Area & these were the following conditions

    Partially shaded, half the pool was shaded & half was in direct morning.

    I would like to know what ISO & Aperture is recommended considering I set the Shutter to 1/250 on my 15-85mm kit lens?

    Bearing in mind also the Kids are running around & there is also partial sun reflection from the water.

    Gam Xia...

  4. #124
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    I have a question, this morning, I was taking some pictures of my Daughter in a Swimming Pool Play Area & these were the following conditions

    Partially shaded, half the pool was shaded & half was in direct morning.

    I would like to know what ISO & Aperture is recommended considering I set the Shutter to 1/250 on my 15-85mm kit lens?

    Bearing in mind also the Kids are running around & there is also partial sun reflection from the water.

    Gam Xia...
    How do you want to frame the photo? Do you want a wide angle shot of your daughter playing in the pool with everything in focus or do you want a headshot with water droplets splashing all around with sunlight reflecting on the water (my favorite) etc?

    The actual setting depends on the available light and I think you can rely on your camera's light meter to know that. Just set the ISO to the default 100, since you want to set the shutter speed, use shutter priority and the camera will pick the appropriate aperture for your scene.
    Last edited by jopwork; 5th February 2010 at 02:10 PM.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    How do you want to frame the photo? Do you want a wide angle shot of your daughter playing in the pool with everything in focus or do you want a headshot with water droplets splashing all around with sunlight reflecting on the water (my favorite) etc?

    The actual setting depends on the available light and I think you can rely on your camera's light meter to know that. Just set the ISO to the default 100, since you want to set the shutter speed, use shutter priority and the camera will pick the appropriate aperture for your scene.
    Thats exactly what I've been doing all this while, setting it to Tv & letting the camera do the rest, but sometimes I get under exposure on the face becos the camera picks the light from the sunny area when my Daughter is in the shaded area.

    Should I just shoot RAW & then come home to edit it?

    A bit fed up when I get a good candied shot & the pic is under or over exposed...

    In this type of situations, which method of setting should I adopt? Learn to set Manually or just stick to Tv?

  6. #126

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    U definitely not a XMM

    Hint:

    (1) Too MATURE to be one
    (2) Your gender does not fit into the category
    You are correct...I'm just an Old Fart...

  7. #127

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    That's easy. XMM = Xiao Mao Mi.
    Wah Lau...This is not a Nite Club Forum rite?...

    Just Kidding...

  8. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    Thats exactly what I've been doing all this while, setting it to Tv & letting the camera do the rest, but sometimes I get under exposure on the face becos the camera picks the light from the sunny area when my Daughter is in the shaded area.

    Should I just shoot RAW & then come home to edit it?

    A bit fed up when I get a good candied shot & the pic is under or over exposed...

    In this type of situations, which method of setting should I adopt? Learn to set Manually or just stick to Tv?
    I use manual to expose the background properly. This definitely underexpose your daughter. Then light up your daughter with a reflector of some sort or fill light with flash.

  9. #129

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    Thats exactly what I've been doing all this while, setting it to Tv & letting the camera do the rest, but sometimes I get under exposure on the face becos the camera picks the light from the sunny area when my Daughter is in the shaded area.

    Should I just shoot RAW & then come home to edit it?

    A bit fed up when I get a good candied shot & the pic is under or over exposed...

    In this type of situations, which method of setting should I adopt? Learn to set Manually or just stick to Tv?
    Based on my limited knowledge.. I think you could:
    1. Use fill flash when your daughter is in shaded area. This way you will get some balanced lighting in the shaded area + properly exposed bright area.

    2. I think you understand how your cam's metering works.. you could dial in + exposure compensation.. but you'd get overexposed / blown out bright areas (PS: since you're on TV, I think ISO needs to be set to Auto.. unless your lens aperture still got a lot of headroom).

    3. Could use Spot metering and meter for your daughters face. But you'd get overexposed / blown out bright areas (PS: since you're on TV, I think ISO needs to be set to Auto.. unless your lens aperture still got a lot of headroom).

    I'd choose one of the above depending on situation..

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Last edited by chewraisins; 5th February 2010 at 03:19 PM.

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by chewraisins View Post
    Based on my limited knowledge.. I think you could:
    1. Use fill flash when your daughter is in shaded area. This way you will get some balanced lighting in the shaded area + properly exposed bright area.

    2. I think you understand how your cam's metering works.. you could dial in + exposure compensation.. but you'd get overexposed / blown out bright areas (PS: since you're on TV, I think ISO needs to be set to Auto.. unless your lens aperture still got a lot of headroom).

    3. Could use Spot metering and meter for your daughters face. ut you'd get overexposed / blown out bright areas (PS: since you're on TV, I think ISO needs to be set to Auto.. unless your lens aperture still got a lot of headroom).

    I'd choose one of the above depending on situation..

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Good tips. Additional newbie tip. Turn on your flash and set it to TTL. Now, use your favorite mode to properly expose the background. You might need to frame it first so your daughter is not visible - that will correctly expose the background. Now press the exposure lock button, recompose with your daughter in it and shoot with flash.

    This one even works on point and shoots with exposure locks.

  11. #131

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    I use manual to expose the background properly. This definitely underexpose your daughter. Then light up your daughter with a reflector of some sort or fill light with flash.
    What if I'm zooming from far?...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  12. #132

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    What if I'm zooming from far?...
    If too far for using flash / reflector, then the next best bet I think would be to use spot metering and meter of your daughter, lock exposure, recompose and shoot..

    Cheers,
    Andrew

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    What if I'm zooming from far?...
    I've got good results using a camera mounted SB-600 flash also zoomed to the max. I'm sure your new flash can do the same (depends on how far though)

    It would also work if you can take your flash off the camera and remotely trigger it. Ask someone to hold the flash for you and point it at your daughter . Of course that means your flash would be close to the action and defeats the purpose of keeping it safely away from the water

  14. #134

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    I've got good results using a camera mounted SB-600 flash also zoomed to the max. I'm sure your new flash can do the same (depends on how far though)

    It would also work if you can take your flash off the camera and remotely trigger it. Ask someone to hold the flash for you and point it at your daughter . Of course that means your flash would be close to the action and defeats the purpose of keeping it safely away from the water
    You do realise that kids are not very prone to keeping still...especially when they are in a playing frenzy...

    The poor fellow will be running after my daughter with the flash & I will have to keep up...

    Dun Saboh me leh...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  15. #135

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by chewraisins View Post
    If too far for using flash / reflector, then the next best bet I think would be to use spot metering and meter of your daughter, lock exposure, recompose and shoot..

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    Ok, let me try spot metering & see if it works...thank you...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

  16. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    Feed them Sugar?....Are you insane?...Already now I'm like a GPMG Gunner &
    You still want them on a Sugar High?
    But according to your thread's title, you want to take CANDIED shots.

  17. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Chow Yun Fatt View Post
    You do realise that kids are not very prone to keeping still...especially when they are in a playing frenzy...

    The poor fellow will be running after my daughter with the flash & I will have to keep up...

    Dun Saboh me leh...
    Haha! do not stalk them while they are moving around. Just wait in ambush mode and then shoot when they pass through

  18. #138

    Default Re: Newbie into Candied & Portrait shots

    Quote Originally Posted by jopwork View Post
    Haha! do not stalk them while they are moving around. Just wait in ambush mode and then shoot when they pass through
    *Basket*...You must have been in the Military for way too long...
    I Grew Up Very Poor...If I Wasn't A Boy, I Would Have Nothing To Play With...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •