Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: K7 Movie Mode

  1. #1

    Default K7 Movie Mode

    Hi
    I was checking out my old videos from my previous K7 and comparing it to my ex-KX.
    That was when I realised that all along I had set the K7 video to 720p and not 1080p!
    Surprisingly the 720p video quality on the K7 seems better than the kx version. I cannot accept that the difference is due to the 30fps vs 25 fps.

    In anycase, I finally tried some video in 1080p mode.
    Strangely, the ripple effect under fluorescent lightng associated the refresh rate mismatch does not happen all the time. I took 3 video clips and only 1 had the ripple effect. This is strange. As the shots were taken at the same subject, I am unable to isolate what were the factors that resulted in no-ripple effect.

    Also, another bad news for me. It seems my pc is unable to display videos taken at 1080p properly. The video runs slow and the audio does not sync with it too. But at 720p, everything is dandy. Is this due to my graphics chip issue? Any of you having this problem on your pc for the 1080p video? I tested the video direct from the camera on a TV and it runs fine (albeit aspect ratio truncation on my 4:3 TV which is normal).

    Anyone can share on their experiences or suggest what I can do to solve this?
    Thanks..
    Last edited by airconvent; 24th January 2010 at 01:52 AM.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  2. #2

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Hmm... can you try using this player: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net see if it plays back any better?
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  3. #3

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Thanks woefulwabbit. I tried DIVX player, quicktime player and MediaPlayerClassic and they all work ok. Is there some setting on the default media player I can set to resolve this? I'm trying not to add more programmes to my set up.
    Thanks
    Last edited by airconvent; 24th January 2010 at 02:44 PM.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  4. #4

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    I experienced sync problem between video and sound... and
    someone told me before to download some kind of codec.

    I tried it on my office PC and it worked but that was long time ago.

    can't remember what codec I have applied, cos since I changed to Vista, problem doesn't exist anymore.

    Your PC still running XP, rite?

  5. #5
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    As a Mac user I use the Perian codec for Quicktime with no issues.

  6. #6

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    1080p demands nearly twice the processing/memory capabilities from a PC (Win-XP) as compared to 720p. On many PCs (Win-XP) bought between 2003 and 2005 even 720p plays a bit jerkily soon after the buffer memory gets full.

    On newer machines, depending upon your machine specs, 720p may play along just fine... but 1080p may be jerky for the same reason outlined above. The only solution is to get a higher spec-d machine, which really adds to the budget costs of post processing true HD video! That is why I always advise newbies to take into account all the other indirect costs associated with full blown HD video... especially if they want to post process their videos.

    At the moment, not many people have enough power in their PCs to post-process 1080p HD video... therefore, the majority will experience similar problems you are facing. So don't worry. The solution is to upgrade your hardware to match the requirements you need to playback 1080p smoothly.
    Last edited by sircam; 24th January 2010 at 12:49 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by sircam View Post
    The only solution is to get a higher spec-d machine, which really adds to the budget costs of post processing true HD video!
    There's another solution, and that is to find a software codec that is more efficient in resource usage.

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Thanks woefulwabbit. I tried DIVX player, quicktime player and MediaPlayerClassic and they all works ok. Is there some setting on the default media player I can set to resolve this? I'm trying not to add more programmes to my set up.
    Thanks
    It's not a problem with your default media player (should be WMP). WMP doesn't play the video directly, but does it through a codec you installed. The codec you installed is probably just not as efficient in playing back the video.

    Back when I was still using Windows (I'm using Linux now), I simply use MPC for everything... IMO it's the best media player, small and powerful. I recommend you just try to get used to MPC and use it for everything too. MPC-HD in this case uses it's own internal codec which can offload most of the decoding process to your graphics card instead of doing all the decoding in CPU.
    Last edited by woefulwabbit; 24th January 2010 at 01:21 PM.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  8. #8

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Wabbit, are you specifically referring to this one?

    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

  9. #9

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Ya sorry, mpc-hc, not mpc-hd
    I posted that link in my first reply
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  10. #10

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Thanks everyone! Its not my hardware because all the other players seem to be able to play it. Just need to google and find which codec to install. I still prefer to use the default player if possible.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

  11. #11

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Installed MPC. Works very nicely for AVI files. But seems to be having problems playing MOV files... keeps on crashing when I try to play a MOV file.

    VLC player, on the other hand, has no problems with both AVI and MOV. Wonder why!?!?

  12. #12

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    install quicktime alternative first them try again
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  13. #13

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Aaah!! That makes sense!! Will report back!!

    On second thoughts: What if I just install Quicktime?

    Also, any good alternative to your knowledge?
    Last edited by sircam; 24th January 2010 at 07:56 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Well, vlc is decent too. I just tend to go for open source stuff when possible.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  15. #15

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi
    Also, another bad news for me. It seems my pc is unable to display videos taken at 1080p properly. The video runs slow and the audio does not sync with it too. But at 720p, everything is dandy. Is this due to my graphics chip issue? Any of you having this problem on your pc for the 1080p video? I tested the video direct from the camera on a TV and it runs fine (albeit aspect ratio truncation on my 4:3 TV which is normal).

    Anyone can share on their experiences or suggest what I can do to solve this?
    Thanks..
    In case you didn't realise, the K-7 doesn't do 1080p. It does 720p (16:9 aspect ratio) and an unusual 1024p (3:2 aspect ratio). Did you set up to play back correctly?

  16. #16

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Well, vlc is decent too. I just tend to go for open source stuff when possible.
    VLC also crashes sometimes. Still looking out for a feature rich and low resource usage media player! Whereas VLC seems to be redesigned from scratch and has a lot of features... MLC seems to be just a lighter version of Windows Media Player!

    A clarification: I haven't yet installed the original Quicktime software on my current PC. In order to get the best from MPC which I installed yesterday, do you think it is wiser to install a Quicktime alternative software instead of the original Quicktime software? Would the codecs be more efficient if I installed a popular alternative?
    Last edited by sircam; 25th January 2010 at 12:41 PM.

  17. #17
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Need a more powerful pc to run this format as it is (very) memory intensive, otherwise need to compress to 720p AVCHD before viewing.

    1024p on k-7 as said is not your normal 1080p as seen on wide screen tv's

    BTW, no problems running with Windows media player on my notebook. MIcrosoft vista 64 bit.
    Last edited by banana0ne; 25th January 2010 at 12:47 PM.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by sircam View Post
    VLC also crashes sometimes. Still looking out for a feature rich and low resource usage media player! Whereas VLC seems to be redesigned from scratch and has a lot of features... MLC seems to be just a lighter version of Windows Media Player!

    A clarification: I haven't yet installed the original Quicktime software on my current PC. In order to get the best from MPC which I installed yesterday, do you think it is wiser to install a Quicktime alternative software instead of the original Quicktime software? Would the codecs be more efficient if I installed a popular alternative?
    VLC is a player that integrates in codecs (based on ffmpeg). MPC is a frontend in front of directshow. It's really your choice, but I don't like having Quicktime and Realtime on my system, so I install http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm and http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm that allows them to be played in MPC. It works ok most of the time, but sometimes the original will work better (for the really old QT and RT files that used very old codecs).
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  19. #19

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    VLC is a player that integrates in codecs (based on ffmpeg). MPC is a frontend in front of directshow. It's really your choice, but I don't like having Quicktime and Realtime on my system, so I install http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm and http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm that allows them to be played in MPC. It works ok most of the time, but sometimes the original will work better (for the really old QT and RT files that used very old codecs).
    Thanks! That's exactly the opinion and info I was expecting!

  20. #20

    Default Re: K7 Movie Mode

    Update. I googled and installed the Media Player Codec Pack 3.9.2 and it works properly even in 1080p HD mode. No need to install a third party player. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •