Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ah! I've got my k7!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ah! I've got my k7!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    Congrats bro scorpioh! Like what you said, the K7 is a camera which should be in the hands of all good Pentaxians! I hope to own it 1 day too!
    ...... you make it sound so noble ................ guess I was once a good Pentaxian too ........
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Haha sounds noble meh? If I have extra money now, would really love to own a K7! I was once a good Nikonian...but now I found my home among Pentaxians.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ...... you make it sound so noble ................ guess I was once a good Pentaxian too ........
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    But I need to check with k7 users, when you first get your camera and on it, did you go into the "initial settings" (pg 57 of the manual). Mine didn't quite go there but directly into the info display. The batt was also totally flat before I first charged it. Probably it has been demo'ed to some customer prior to that. Need to check the shutter count tonight...
    Not much point checking shutter count, is it, since the count would include whatever they do at the testing or QC stage in the factory. And that could vary from cam to cam.
    Last edited by watchthewaves; 25th January 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Just got to on my k7 this morning. Pretty refreshing interface with that big LCD...

But I need to check with k7 users, when you first get your camera and on it, did you go into the "initial settings" (pg 57 of the manual). Mine didn't quite go there but directly into the info display. The batt was also totally flat before I first charged it. Probably it has been demo'ed to some customer prior to that. Need to check the shutter count tonight...
    hmm.. i also never check the shutter count leh, how to see it
    Been looking through the camera menu, nothing about shutter count .. All i remember is, they would allow u to test it when u want to buy it, but the battery with it was low, so they had to use another battery (think is their test battery) for you to test. During testing, it goes to the menu, then afterwards i can't remember as i skip to exit lolx.

Did you test your camera at the shop? Or you just pay and go?

PS: By the way, the DA40mm limited, you also bought it at SLR revo?

nevermind lah, they receive the units with a nominal battery charge only..u can use photome to check clicks, must remember to insert a blank card first and then register that first shot though
    Last edited by elavan; 25th January 2010 at 06:55 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    hmm.. i also never check the shutter count leh, how to see it
    Been looking through the camera menu, nothing about shutter count .. All i remember is, they would allow u to test it when u want to buy it, but the battery with it was low, so they had to use another battery (think is their test battery) for you to test. During testing, it goes to the menu, then afterwards i can't remember as i skip to exit lolx.

Did you test your camera at the shop? Or you just pay and go?

PS: By the way, the DA40mm limited, you also bought it at SLR revo?
    Ooh, the shutter count must take a pic and use Photome to read the pic then can get one. I go home check. You can't see it in the camera. My batt was also low that it can't power up the camera (I realise this when I got home). Is the menu the select language one? Cos the manual said it should first start in that page.

I didn't quite test the camera at the shop. In a bit of rush and I had heard that SLR revolution is very particular with ensuring that each unit is new and do not allow demo to customers. Yeah, so it's just pay and go. Ha.

Ooh, the DA limited ah, its one of my first lens (it got me to Pentax). Purchased some 1 1/2 years ago le.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 25th January 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Ooh, the shutter count must take a pic and use Photome to read the pic then can get one. I go home check. You can't see it in the camera. My batt was also low that it can't power up the camera (I realise this when I got home). Is the menu the select language one? Cos the manual said it should first start in that page.

I didn't quite test the camera at the shop. In a bit of rush and I had heard that SLR revolution is very particular with ensuring that each unit is new and do not allow demo to customers. Yeah, so it's just pay and go. Ha.

Ooh, the DA limited ah, its one of my first lens (it got me to Pentax). Purchased some 1 1/2 years ago le.
    Hmm... yup, when i was testing there, the menu is the select the language one.. Think after you set or exit it, it won't go back to it. Can't remember the steps i did to it... So when you power up ur camera, did u did any settings to it( when u found out " My batt was also low that it can't power up the camera (I realise this when I got home)"

check shutter count? go out and take some photos better.

The grip does make the camera look even prettier.
    Last edited by fengwei; 26th January 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    The grip does make the camera look even prettier. .
    Yes it does, but i usually take it off when using with Limited lens, kinda defeat the purpose of travelling light. Only use it when i'm using my bigger lens.
    Last edited by fengwei; 26th January 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Yes it does, but i usually take it off when using with Limited lens, kinda defeat the purpose of travelling light. Only use it when i'm using my bigger lens.
    I really can't bear to use the k7 without a grip. It's too small for me. My pinky will be dangling...
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Preliminary Review of k7
    Tried the camera more thoroughly this evening, running through the menus and taking some test shots. Perhaps I could give a preliminary review based on my experience. I may be a Pentax fanboy but I am going to be honest and unbiased here:

LCD
    Superbly big and high resolution compared to the k10d. The menu is more colorlful this time but the backbone is still very similar to k10d, easy to navigate and intuitive (I didn't even bother to read the manual).

Shutter
    Probably the most noticeable difference is the shutter (or more correctly the mirror-slap) sound and feel. It's very very different from the old k10d. On k10d, it's a solid bang and you get a very strong feedback of the moment the shutter release button is pressed but on k7, it's softer and very well damped and somehow it lack that 'feel'. Well, I couldn't really say I like it. It's quite similar to the Nikon D700 kind of feel. Probably that's the kind of shutter mechanism newer cameras have. Nothing really to fault, perhaps it's just about getting used to.

AF
    Ah... AF!!! I was expecting more! Somehow, I couldn't quite feel the difference between k7 and k10d. Perhaps there is but its not what I had expected. Probably its more accurate? But I had yet to figure it out.

ISO
    Pretty disappointed with the ISO performance, I eagerly set it to ISO1600, and its pretty noisy (or am I missing some NR feature here?) I could much better it by passing my k10d shots through an NR software.

Electronic Level
    This is certainly one very cool feature to have to ensure your shots are horizontal, handheld or mounted on a tripod. There is this sliding electronic balance that tells you how much you are titling. The best part: there's even an auto leveler that helps you correct your tilt when its within the margin of some 1 degree.

Button arrangement
    Seriously, not quite used to it. All have changed from the k10/20d except the front and rear dials. The green button is not quite where it used to be. Changing ISO also takes some getting used.

SD card slot
    ah? Why SD card slot also need review? Nah, not a review but a complain!!! It looks fairly nicely designed until you try pulling your SD card out. First of all, the door is so close to the slot that you can't clip it with your fingers on the front and back of the card; you have to pull it by the edges. Secondly, the card always seemed stuck half way and you really have to struggle a bit to pull it out. Very tricky. I thought something was blocking it but a pair of tweezers (remember to wrap it with a cloth to avoid damages) could easily pull it out. Hopefully I think it is loosening and I could pull the card out easier.

For a few moments I was really thinking if this upgrade is necessary. The ISO and AF, the main reasons for my upgrade, did not seemed quite justified. I am so comfortable with my k10d workhorse and now I have to re-adapt to this new creature. Had a moment of thought selling it off, but probably I need to give it a bit more time. Yeah, thankfully my k10d is still around and I have to say, baby, I love you. Lol!

New Pentaxians to be, by all means get the k7, its a no brainer at this price. Upgraders, you may want to test it out first.

Btw, my shutter count as new is 390 and my image starts with IMGP0010 (probably someone expended a few rounds on it). Just for those who may want to check.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 26th January 2010 at 01:02 AM.

Your late adopter impressions already kinda dated already considering the K-7 came out many months ago. Anyway the points you raise are the same kind of comments that can be found on dpreview/pentaxforums where people complain about button placements and what not because they have been so used to their old cameras. Like any camera, I suggest you spend time with it first and get adjusted to the ergonomics, controls and functions. Give yourself time to familiarize yourself with the camera and things will get intuitive over time.

I don't see anything wrong with posting feedback on a several months old DSLR... I think it's always good to hear any form of feedback and to see people talking about their purchases. Probably people considering the K-7 are looking for such feedbacks too.

Thanks scorpioh
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

[B]
    SD card slot
    ah? Why SD card slot also need review? Nah, not a review but a complain!!! It looks fairly nicely designed until you try pulling your SD card out. First of all, the door is so close to the slot that you can't clip it with your fingers on the front and back of the card; you have to pull it by the edges. Secondly, the card always seemed stuck half way and you really have to struggle a bit to pull it out. Very tricky. I thought something was blocking it but a pair of tweezers (remember to wrap it with a cloth to avoid damages) could easily pull it out.
    Bro
    You using it wrongly. The correct method to take out the SD card is to press it in and it will eject (its spring loaded) After that its a matter of pulling it out. I don't have any problems with it at all.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Bro
    You using it wrongly. The correct method to take out the SD card is to press it in and it will eject (its spring loaded) After that its a matter of pulling it out. I don't have any problems with it at all.
    Absolutely correct. Broken down step by step instructions:

To take out the SD Card out from the camera... simply do the following:

1) First press the card in (a bit) with your finger.

2) It will push itself up and out after that!

3) That's all!

Just repeating what airconvent explained for your convenience!
    Last edited by sircam; 26th January 2010 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Your late adopter impressions already kinda dated already considering the K-7 came out many months ago. Anyway the points you raise are the same kind of comments that can be found on dpreview/pentaxforums where people complain about button placements and what not because they have been so used to their old cameras. Like any camera, I suggest you spend time with it first and get adjusted to the ergonomics, controls and functions. Give yourself time to familiarize yourself with the camera and things will get intuitive over time.
    Yeah manz, I think I really need some time with it. I understand that some of my points have been brought up by somebody in other forums/reviews. But sometimes some review points may or may not be relevant to another user. These are just my first thoughts on the camera.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 26th January 2010 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sircam View Post
    Absolutely correct. Broken down step by step instructions:

To take out the SD Card out from the camera... simply do the following:

1) First press the card in (a bit) with your finger.

2) It will push itself up and out after that!

3) That's all!

Just repeating what airconvent explained for your convenience!
    Ah. Ha, I know I need to give it a push to eject it. Same like the k10d. I am really referring to the difficulty in removal after the SD card has been ejected. It was almost impossible the first time and I was literally thinking of sending it to the service center!

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with posting feedback on a several months old DSLR... I think it's always good to hear any form of feedback and to see people talking about their purchases. Probably people considering the K-7 are looking for such feedbacks too.

Thanks scorpioh
    Welcomed.

Shutter
    Probably the most noticeable difference is the shutter (or more correctly the mirror-slap) sound and feel. It's very very different from the old k10d. On k10d, it's a solid bang and you get a very strong feedback of the moment the shutter release button is pressed but on k7, it's softer and very well damped and somehow it lack that 'feel'. Well, I couldn't really say I like it. It's quite similar to the Nikon D700 kind of feel. Probably that's the kind of shutter mechanism newer cameras have. Nothing really to fault, perhaps it's just about getting used to.
    why you don't like, the k-7 so soft............. i actually got to hear it in real life before and i was jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soft is always better than loud. best if can eliminate altogether.

Electronic Level
    This is certainly one very cool feature to have to ensure your shots are horizontal, handheld or mounted on a tripod. There is this sliding electronic balance that tells you how much you are titling. The best part: there's even an auto leveler that helps you correct your tilt when its within the margin of some 1 degree.
    i also want this..................... then don't need to use spirit level ever again unless doing panorama.......
    Button arrangement
    Seriously, not quite used to it. All have changed from the k10/20d except the front and rear dials. The green button is not quite where it used to be. Changing ISO also takes some getting used.
    never mind about this la..... when i switch from k100d to k20d, i also not even used to having a front wheel................ then now is ok
    SD card slot
    ah? Why SD card slot also need review? Nah, not a review but a complain!!! It looks fairly nicely designed until you try pulling your SD card out. First of all, the door is so close to the slot that you can't clip it with your fingers on the front and back of the card; you have to pull it by the edges. Secondly, the card always seemed stuck half way and you really have to struggle a bit to pull it out. Very tricky. I thought something was blocking it but a pair of tweezers (remember to wrap it with a cloth to avoid damages) could easily pull it out. Hopefully I think it is loosening and I could pull the card out easier.
    why need to pull???

if same as k20d, then you press and it pops out.

i hope you have not damaged it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast