Thread: Left Behind in Time

Default Left Behind in Time

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like to gain feedbacks on the composition of this photo as well as the emotive feeling it induced. I would like to gain feedbacks on techniques as i feel that the shadows are too dark. I would like to know if it is alright.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I would like to depict a scene in Singapore where Ships have been abandoned. Clearly, this ships have once fueled Singapore's development in the past, but have been left behind in time as modernization took pace. I hope to evoke a series of emotions in this photo, allowing viewers to have an affection for Singapore's history.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This picture was taken under a bright hot day on a sunday afternoon as I was taking a stroll. The reflections off the waves are mesmerizing, and I like the concept of this shot as it is unusual for me as a city dweller to experience this kind of scene in Singapore.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I feel that this photo has evoked a lot of feelings when I first saw it. I was using film, and I like the way this photo is produced. I like the composition of this photo, but I do believe that there is still improvements to be done with regards to composition.
    I feel that the shadows of the ships are too dark. However, I feel that it is alright as it induces some form of emotions which I could not explain.

Cheers,
    Edison
    Last edited by Edisonn; 24th January 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Left Behind in Time

i normally have no qualms if the horizon is off a little but in this case it should be corrected IMHO..... maybe because there are other elements of the image on the horizon itself?

ever try cropping off a good part of the sky too?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Hello, thanks for the comment.

I tried cropping off certain parts, and make the picture comply with the "7:3 Rule", however i still like it when it is in its original form, which is what you see now.

Any issues with the technique? I am new to film photography.

Cheers,
    Edison

Ed's correct, you need to really watch the horizon line.

The biggest issue with this shot is the lack of "oommpfff" or impact. It's just mostly middle gray and black. I'd suggest using an R25 filter to snap some texture in to the clouds for shots like this and don't worry about the 7:3 ratio.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

nice ..left behind time. time catching up with uss
    not to impress but shoot to express

Thanks for all the feedbacks! Will take note of them in the future.

By the way, how do i make the horizon better? Do i have to photoshop it? I never had the habit of photoshopping my photos.

Cheers,
    Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Edisonn View Post
    Thanks for all the feedbacks! Will take note of them in the future.

By the way, how do i make the horizon better? Do i have to photoshop it? I never had the habit of photoshopping my photos.

Cheers,
    Edison
    You can PhotoShop it, or better yet the next time you take a similar shot ensure the horizon is dead level in the viewfinder. It's far far better to get the shot as close to perfect in camera than screw with it in PhotoShop.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!