Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Do laser lightings in clubs affect a DSLR?

  1. #1

    Default Do laser lightings in clubs affect a DSLR?

    I do lots of clubbing photography for JUICE magazine taking crowd shots and ambient shots using my trusty F707, but recently thinking of upgrading to a DSLR (D70 nikon). Anyway just heard from a friend that the laser lighting in clubs may adversely affect a DSLR light sensor and metering system... Is this true? any experts care to comment on this?

  2. #2

    Default

    Erm, why not ask your friend why he says that?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    no. it doesn't at all. dun worry.

    u've been shooting with ur F707 and nothing happens to the shots u took.
    so what makes u think that the DSLR's sensor chips and such will malfunction under such condition? it won't.

    get ur DSLR and be happy with the resultant shots...
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    564

    Default

    The F707 is already a DSLR...just one that has a permanently mounted lens. That's all.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PLRBEAR
    The F707 is already a DSLR...just one that has a permanently mounted lens. That's all.
    No, the F707 is NOT a DSLR with a permanently mounted lens. For a camera to qualify as a SLR, there must be some sort of reflex mechanism in the camera.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    if the lasers indoors can affect anything, your retinas/corneas (name all the anatomical names) will be affected first. then who'd care about a camera?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    if the lasers indoors can affect anything, your retinas/corneas (name all the anatomical names) will be affected first. then who'd care about a camera?

    Thing is u would not deliberately stare into a laser light, but with a camera, there will be instances where the CCD might be left on to capture a image for some time. The laser might just hit the CCD directly (especially with those revolving types) and damage the CCD. U might just damage certain spots with a direct hit? Not sure what those laser power output is like but even a small laser pointer can cause permanent eye damage if your retina takes a direct hit.

  8. #8

    Default

    do navigate your browser to http://www.frontallabs.com/

    go to events or gallery --> Sublime Minds Amaze @ Mad Monks

    photos within were taken by me and sgstealth using:

    me: D100 + 12-24DX + SB80DX
    sgstealth: D60 + 17-35L + 550EX

    i was shooting mostly in manual mode at 1/20 F4 and flash in D-TTL. can't remember what sgstealth was using though.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by desmondwong
    do navigate your browser to http://www.frontallabs.com/

    go to events or gallery --> Sublime Minds Amaze @ Mad Monks

    photos within were taken by me and sgstealth using:

    me: D100 + 12-24DX + SB80DX
    sgstealth: D60 + 17-35L + 550EX

    i was shooting mostly in manual mode at 1/20 F4 and flash in D-TTL. can't remember what sgstealth was using though.
    ok... what are you both doing there taking photos?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    ok... what are you both doing there taking photos?
    i was covering event for the website, he was there covering me... haa haa...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •