Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old mechanical flim cameras

Default Re: Old mechanical flim cameras

I have seen such shops in Aldephi; opposite Peninsular Plaza. So, you can check out the old cameras. There are a few shops in Sgp, which I have seen before. Happy shopping
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

I think $25-$50 is too low..

Make your budget $100-$150.
    Then you're open to choices.

Been playing with my dslr, now gotten a little more interested in film again. I guess my passion for photography flows to all sorts of it.
    I just bought an AE-1 program with 50mm f1.8 on ebay.uk, it's on the way to me now!

Cost me less den sgd200.
    ♥ Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. ♥
    -- Albert Einstein

Well for film recommendation its not really the film that goes with the camera, it goes with what you want to shoot.

For example its much much harder to "change" the ASA/ISO of your film than it is with a digital body, so once you load a ISO 200 film into your camera you may have some problems shooting in low light, unless you re-wind the film, remove it in a dark place, and re-load a higher ISO rating film into the camera and so on and so forth...

If you're shooting nature landscapes you can try Fuji Velvia film, which you can get from Peninsula area...a bit pricey though.

If you're not too worried about quality you can just use the cheaper films found in most photo shops, though they produce photos with a yellowish cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sessantasei View Post
    If you're not too worried about quality you can just use the cheaper films found in most photo shops, though they produce photos with a yellowish cast.
    Especially Kodak Gold 200..
    The yellow cast kills some of my photos..

Had to remove the yellow cast through PP..

whoa diden expect that much replies after the thread got inactive a few weeks ago. haha thank you for contributing and your imputs. some were really insightful.

zzz bought 2 more rolls of kodak 200 today. but gonna store them till they expire in june then play with the effects. my friend said the colour would b abit like pop art-ish but not rly sure abt it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Especially Kodak Gold 200..
    The yellow cast kills some of my photos..

Had to remove the yellow cast through PP..

Expired Negatives usually only gives a grainy feel to them.
    For a more pop-art-ish feeling, perhaps you wanna try cross-processing slide films?
    ♥ Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. ♥
    -- Albert Einstein

hit sungei road last mid week and i picked up a cosina ct1-super for $20. it is in a mechanically sound condition, and am trying out my first roll of film on it. the light meter seems a little cranky though, showing '+' even in the dark. either its ultra-sensitive, or it's broken.

there are many really old-school mechanical film cameras on sungei road, just take the time to browse. and testing is uber-important.

ebay is really a good alternative too. but the shipping here is really tough. just purchased a cosina ct1-g with a 50mm 1:2 lens. the shipping is expensive, trying to get a friend in UK to help me oversee the shipping of the item to her place first.

All this flim talk is very exciting!
    I like flim!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
    whoa diden expect that much replies after the thread got inactive a few weeks ago. haha thank you for contributing and your imputs. some were really insightful.

zzz bought 2 more rolls of kodak 200 today. but gonna store them till they expire in june then play with the effects. my friend said the colour would b abit like pop art-ish but not rly sure abt it.
    Hi Acolyte

How is going with your pursuit?

Interesting discussion going on. In some ways, digital will never be able to replace the film and film will never quite do what the digital has achieved. Each have their charm and advantages. However......imho I won't go for film for the sake of saving $$ but more for its charm. From a good friend who was in the SLR to DSLR told me there are quite a number of good lenses made during the SLR days that aren't produced anymore. Probably Acolyte have something really interesting going on there.

hi coolthought,

yep there are an unbelievable amount of very good lenses for SLR out there. i have been reading up on lenses for SLRs for my Cosina, and about of the possibility of fixing some of the old lenses onto my 500D. i believe if you are interested in the lenses for SLR, you might have the option of obtaining an adapter for your DSLR. there are many adapters out there on ebay, just have to find the right one, and from a reliable seller. however do note that more often than not, you lose the auto focus capability.

in order to do that, one has to be familiar with the different mounts of the different (vintage) lenses. it's a pretty long list. for me, i was thinking of getting a k mount to EOS adapter so i could sort of interchange the lenses from my slr to my dslr. however it was not as feasible as it seemed to be practical. there are so many other good lenses out there are not for the k mount. i guess in the long run, u gotta factor in the costs of the adapters, as well as the loss of auto focus should you wish to attach old lenses onto the dslr.

on a side note, i have 12rolls of expired kodak 200 sitting in my freezer currently. might be shipping a little more in, so if anyone is interested in sharing, do pm me. i hope my first roll turns out okay so i immerse more in film.

Hi derekk

ah.... canon user.
    As far as I know, there is no such problem for the nikon user. No adapter needed. Hmmm...
    not sure about minolta and others....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12