Thread: need user-reviews on following...

Default need user-reviews on following...

hi fellow clubsnappers

i need some user-reviews on the following lens, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF lens in Nikon AF-D mount, as compared to, say, maybe the nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 G lens. looking to offload the nikon G lens and get something faster but still equivalent in zoom focal lengths.

thanks!!

i think you mean nikon F mount. AF-D is a type of nikkor lens...

i use the 24-85 you mention and its a great lens. contrasty at all focal lengths and appertures. you lose half stop of light at the wide end and 1 and a half stops at the tele end as compared to the f2.8 lens that you are considering.

nothing beats AFS af speed and quietness... so you have to weigh the trade off yourself.

yups..oops, u are right, F-mount. i copied the description wholesale from another post.

was looking for reviews of actual handling of the lens by users. the lens will be used mainly for events photography ... hence im interested to know how it performs. like autofocus-ing speed, is the zoom stiff, reliability etc. i don't want to trouble the shops by requesting to test out and later find out it's not what i want.

i'm fine with my current G lens too. just find its a tad slow, and distortion and sharpness quite bad at the wide and open end..

Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    yups..oops, u are right, F-mount. i copied the description wholesale from another post.

was looking for reviews of actual handling of the lens by users. the lens will be used mainly for events photography ... hence im interested to know how it performs. like autofocus-ing speed, is the zoom stiff, reliability etc. i don't want to trouble the shops by requesting to test out and later find out it's not what i want.

i'm fine with my current G lens too. just find its a tad slow, and distortion and sharpness quite bad at the wide and open end..
    yeah i saw the post by this guy who stated the exact same thing as you as thought that it was such a coincidence.
    i only know the handling of the nikkor 24-85 afs and its good. quite a small lens and it takes 67mm filters, a wierd size though. for indoor events, you might appreciate the larger f2.8 in the sigma... but because i use a f80, i treasure the extra af speed the afs gives me. the af motors on the f80 not very fast.