Thread: Recommendations (Budget - $400)

Default Recommendations (Budget - $400)

Hi~! I need some recommendations for camera within the budget of $400. I hope to get a camera that is good in low light/night shooting without the use of flashlight.

My preference brands are Canon, Nikon and Panasonic. I had done some research and found that Fujifilm F200EXR and Fujifilm F70EXR are quite good as well and within my budget.

I just want to ask there are any similar/comparable cameras from Canon (eg. Digital IXUS 100 IS, Digital IXUS 95 IS, PowerShot A1100 IS, PowerShot A2100 IS), Nikon or Panasonic against Fujifilm F200EXR/F70EXR that is within my budget???

If not, which is better, Fujifilm F200EXR or F70EXR???

Thanks.

Default Re: Recommendations (Budget - $400)

Quote Originally Posted by L0n3r View Post
    Hi~! I need some recommendations for camera within the budget of $400. I hope to get a camera that is good in low light/night shooting without the use of flashlight.

My preference brands are Canon, Nikon and Panasonic. I had done some research and found that Fujifilm F200EXR and Fujifilm F70EXR are quite good as well and within my budget.

I just want to ask there are any similar/comparable cameras from Canon (eg. Digital IXUS 100 IS, Digital IXUS 95 IS, PowerShot A1100 IS, PowerShot A2100 IS), Nikon or Panasonic against Fujifilm F200EXR/F70EXR that is within my budget???

Thanks.
    they sony WX1 is great but is slightly over your budget

Thanks.
    I've heard that there is a trade in promo for F200EXR and F70EXR
    You can get a $150 off for trading any cam regardless of condition, digital or non-digital
    BTW freebies are also excluded

Quote Originally Posted by dormy View Post
    they sony WX1 is great but is slightly over your budget
    How much is the Sony WX1?

Quote Originally Posted by lichtleiter View Post
    I've heard that there is a trade in promo for F200EXR and F70EXR
    You can get a $150 off for trading any cam regardless of condition, digital or non-digital
    BTW freebies are also excluded
    I heard that Alan Photo is selling F200EXR at $399 w/o trade-in inclusive of freebies.

Short answer: No.
    The main feature of the F200EXR is the 1/1.6" sensor (most PnS cameras use 1/2.3" or smaller sensors) which enables better than usual high ISO performance. Very few other cameras have this feature. Panasonic has the LX3, Canon has S90 and G11, Nikon... well IMO Nikon is crap when it comes to PnS cameras. Problem is the cameras I have listed all cost at least $650. So no, you're not going to get anything similar from any other models at that kind of price.

F70EXR has a 10x zoom lens, but a smaller 1/2" sensor which will not perform as well under high ISO as the F200EXR. You decide which is more important to you: zoom range or high iso performance.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

My vote is for fuji F200 EXR, but zoom range aint that much.

In good light, my vote is Panasonic at prices below SGD500. but when it dims, it becomes a crap, big bad blotches here and there... BTW I use Panasonic FX-36
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

If you want to know if Canon has a similar cam, STOP posting here in bold and go down to any shop yourself!!
    Alpha

the S90 and G11 are great cameras from canon... but way above your budget... its in the range of $600... for PNS the fuji has been stealing alot of hearts
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    Short answer: No.
    The main feature of the F200EXR is the 1/1.6" sensor (most PnS cameras use 1/2.3" or smaller sensors) which enables better than usual high ISO performance. Very few other cameras have this feature. Panasonic has the LX3, Canon has S90 and G11, Nikon... well IMO Nikon is crap when it comes to PnS cameras. Problem is the cameras I have listed all cost at least $650. So no, you're not going to get anything similar from any other models at that kind of price.

F70EXR has a 10x zoom lens, but a smaller 1/2" sensor which will not perform as well under high ISO as the F200EXR. You decide which is more important to you: zoom range or high iso performance.
    Thanks for your detailed answers.

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    My vote is for fuji F200 EXR, but zoom range aint that much.

In good light, my vote is Panasonic at prices below SGD500. but when it dims, it becomes a crap, big bad blotches here and there... BTW I use Panasonic FX-36
    Thanks because previously I was using Panasonic which also experience the same problem as you then taking photos in dim lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    If you want to know if Canon has a similar cam, STOP posting here in bold and go down to any shop yourself!!
    Thanks for your reply. woefulwabbit has replied me with the answers already.

Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    the S90 and G11 are great cameras from canon... but way above your budget... its in the range of $600... for PNS the fuji has been stealing alot of hearts
    Thanks.