Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technology - making us slave and lose our creativity?

Default Re: Technology - making us slave and lose our creativity?

the smackdown debate of film vs digital has got nothing to do with creativity. but technology itself has facilitated the development for bringing out one's potential ( along with many who uses dslrs as a glorified PnS but thats besides the point )

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    now, hit the shutter button and then hit the preview button, not nice, delete, adjust settings, and snap again. preview, nice or not? If good, go on, if not, repeat the steps again.
    How to get creative from doing that ?

ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 23rd January 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    now, hit the shutter button and then hit the preview button, not nice, delete, adjust settings, and snap again. preview, nice or not? If good, go on, if not, repeat the steps again.
    If so easy.....why is there still so many sub-standard photo in CS......

With regards to this statement, don't belittle the snap view snap action. In the past these are done thru snap snap throw throw.
    This is not new. Cameras with fast frame per second shots hoping to catch a picture of the right spot. So it is still snap snap but a different degree. Studio, too have to do multi shot to get it right. If a picture is terrible on screen, I doubt it will do on paper.

Creativity has to meet the before viewing expectation too, like matching the theme title. I see many nice pictures but no relevance to the title or purpose. E.g but not limited to, cats taken from ABC beach. Does it mean that the cat in ABC beach is different from the strays. Close up of a pole or pad lock. Meaningless to show that ABC beach. Every set of pictures must always include an initial ambient picture to set viewer's perspective.

[QUOTE=dingaroo;5801180]...
    ....QUOTE]

Not just light painting, but how many of us would actually start a APAD project if not for technology (be it internet, digital cams, photoshop..)

We have to move on with the times. Even dinosaurs are extinct now. It's up to us whether to let or not to let technology make us slaves & loose our creativity.
    Its like, for example, would like to travel to a place by foot that takes 2 days or would you like to travel there by car that takes 9 hours? So with the tecnology of automobiles, why not take advantage of it & in the meanwhile it gives us more time to be more creative & we must thank technology for not making us slaves
    Take the shot!

Personally, I find that DSLR's boosted my creativity instead. With AF, Auto ISO and auto shutter speed, I can just place in in Av mode, let the camera worry and use the rest of my brain juice and eye to think and hunt for creative angles (DOF and composition) and such. As opposed to SLR, I often have to worry about this and about that and in the heat of the moment when I tot I saw a very good angle or scene, I am often not fast enuff to do the settings and end up spoiling a good scene.

Just my 2 cents. Thank God for DSLRs!
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

Technology helps new photographers 'learn' quicker. That's for sure. Last time you'll have to remember your shutter settings, aperture, etc till you wash the film. Now you can preview and tweak the correct exposure, composition..Plus, you can release your creativity by using the digital brushes in PS to enhance the photos.

This word, 'Composition' is used many times. Can someone define it within the context of 'photography'?
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    This word, 'Composition' is used many times. Can someone define it within the context of 'photography'?
    Google it
    Take the shot!

The design of a photograph.

Personally I believe technology is a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways. Yes I agree technology does make it easier for people who are interested to easily get into photography, which I think is a good thing. But on the flip side, considering technology provides, or rather, abstracts all the abstractions which has the core fundamentals to the knowledge of photography. For example, nowsaday not many know (or interested, for that matter) in the Sunny 16 rule, which I think can educate photographers a thing or two about the feel for lighting and exposure. Of course I believed nobody does that now when even the humblest point and shoot camera can auto set your exposures. Swords and machine guns can kill; Machine guns kills faster and requires lesser skills comparing to swords. But for a swordsman who has reached his zenith (ala Miyamoto Mushashi), a wooden oar can still do the job; Machine gunner can run out of bullets or jammed his gun. Sorry for my crude analogy

Who drives technology? Who creates softwares that allow you to do PP? Technology? No, it's the artist cause without him there is no art. An artist composes with or without technolgy. He is always the master. Composition in photography emcompasses everything from visualization to realization. And it always requires the artist to do it, period. Are we all artist with or without technology?

Who drives technology? Who creates softwares that allow you to do PP? Technology? No, it's the artist cause without him there is no art. An artist composes with or without technolgy. He is always the master. Composition in photography emcompasses everything from visualization to realization. And it always requires the artist to do it, period. Are we all artist with or without technology?
    Without technology, can you do PP? No. Without technology can the artist or software developer write programs for the computer? No.
    I agree with you on the visualization to realization part. That's how we get the final picture. Of course you need someone to do it. Things don't just happen or appear. How do you post here without technology?
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Without technology, can you do PP? No. Without technology can the artist or software developer write programs for the computer? No.
    I agree with you on the visualization to realization part. That's how we get the final picture. Of course you need someone to do it. Things don't just happen or appear. How do you post here without technology?
    Without us, including you and I, who will be posting here?

Hm I think technology with regards to photography is akin to manual cars and auto cars.

Auto cars automated the need to change gears and and half clutch on slopes. On Manual , the driver needs to takes control of his gear and at the same time manage his clutch and accelerator. Be it you drive manual or auto , you need to understand basic traffic rules and observe traffic flow in order to drive safely and smoothly.

I m sure many will agree that driving auto transmission is so much no brainer and makes the driving experience so much more enjoyable. However , I do have a friend who insist that he must beable to change his own gears whenever he drives. I can never understand that mentality.

Putting this back to photography , technology simply automated a number of settings for the photographer , but one needs to master the basic understanding of composition , aperture , ISO , shutter speed , and the qualities of light , in order to make good photographs. This point has been reinforced million times by many.

I think using the term technology in this context is being used too broadly. If we are talking about the hardware , I would believe that digital cameras has popularised photography and made it into a hobby that everyone can take on. Perhaps , this has inevitably , rough some feathers of some who picked up photography the hard way as all of a sudden , everyone is calling themselves a photographer with just a digital camera on hand.

However, if we are talking about post processing manipulation , it is perhaps an area that invites more opposing views.
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Dslrman View Post
    Personally I believe technology is a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways. Yes I agree technology does make it easier for people who are interested to easily get into photography, which I think is a good thing. But on the flip side, considering technology provides, or rather, abstracts all the abstractions which has the core fundamentals to the knowledge of photography. For example, nowsaday not many know (or interested, for that matter) in the Sunny 16 rule, which I think can educate photographers a thing or two about the feel for lighting and exposure. Of course I believed nobody does that now when even the humblest point and shoot camera can auto set your exposures. Swords and machine guns can kill; Machine guns kills faster and requires lesser skills comparing to swords. But for a swordsman who has reached his zenith (ala Miyamoto Mushashi), a wooden oar can still do the job; Machine gunner can run out of bullets or jammed his gun. Sorry for my crude analogy

Bravo bravo.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

Without us, including you and I, who will be posting here?
    Precisely, the two go hand in hand
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Precisely, the two go hand in hand
    We come first, technology second. We create technology, technology does not create artist. Technology needs us to manupulate cause it is dumb.

We come first, technology second. We create technology, technology does not create artist. Technology needs us to manupulate cause it is dumb.
    It is also dumb not to use technology
    Take the shot!

I wonder, without technology where would you be posting this question

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast