View Poll Results: How did u get started out in photography?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyhow shot and slowly gained experience from this

31 26.27%
  • Took up photography courses/lessons

6 5.08%
  • Joined a photography club/society in school

12 10.17%
  • Joined a photography club/society (not from school)

2 1.69%
  • Read books, magazines and online stuff

31 26.27%
  • Influenced and guided by family members/relatives

17 14.41%
  • Friends taught me

19 16.10%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did u first started out in Photography

Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    it is strange that employers can just employ a newbie photographer..
    Newbie or not, I think it doesn't matter. What matters is the eye for angles and willingness to learn. And most important, good working/learning/PR attitude. What's good if can't get along with clients or have a "much much holier than thou" kind of attitude.

my dad gave me his old manual SLR.. 35mm wide angle
    it's a fuji something.. he covered the brand with a duck tape so that it'd look more pro. lolz sorry dad! but seriously it did look pro..
    anw, so i started snapping for the first time.. without putting any film inside
    *embarassed* haha.. took me 5 weeks before i realised that..
    sighs.. all the sneaking and creeping to get a shot of the crows at bishan, and nothing at the end of that. cruel.. just cruel..

i got upset (with whom i wonder) and refused to touch the camera till some time, haha.. but from then on there was no turning back. joined my school's photog club and kept going for assignments; i guess it was good that our school was lacking photog-enthu in the society.. so i always go ard with a camera, some more i'm always trigger happy. free film mah.. hahaha..

on the sidenote, i kept using the old camera to shoot off on my leisure time.. until it refused to budge for me 2 years ago *sobs*
    but that's how i started. grinz..

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    Newbie or not, I think it doesn't matter. What matters is the eye for angles and willingness to learn. And most important, good working/learning/PR attitude. What's good if can't get along with clients or have a "much much holier than thou" kind of attitude.
    sodesuneeee....

but hard to break into the professional side till u know someone on the other side.. i think..

*picturing darth vader with a camera* .. "join the dark room.."

Was introduced to the sport by my dad. Made me take some flower shots with different apertures and when the prints came back asked me to see the diff! All looked the same to me
    Finally got the concept months later and got totally interested in this magic
    In sec school, got some friends to join me to revive the photoclub and tought them some darkroom techniques I had been learning from the very old magazines at home
    Very expensive hobby, so am quite proud of the my first SLR bought (Vivitar v3000s) after working during school holidays.

I took it up after hearing the D70 is out.

I somehow got my hands on my dad's Olympus OM-1 and started playing around with it. Only for a short while though (like 1 or 2 rolls), because that was like during primary school and film was expensive. Anyway because it's manual focus everything turned out blur.

Then my sister got into photography and she bought some photography books that I started to read out of curiosity (better than all the Maths and Science textbooks!) That was when I had conceptual knowledge of photography but then didn't had the practical experience. A secondary sch student then so had no money--anyway I guess she wouldn't have let me touch the camera also. She eventually sold her SLR.

Fast forward to 2000: joined my hall's photo comm, and then got the chance to handle a modern SLR with "free" film to shoot! Woah, got to cover a multitude of different kinds of events...concerts, informal and formal events, sports, a little bit of architecture, a little bit here, a little bit there, over the last 3+ years. I eventually "inherited" my dad's Olympus and got myself a 2nd hand lens to play more with photography.

The serious jump came in only in Nov last year. Thanks to chaotic , I decided to invest almost all my savings (not much to start off with) in getting an SLR system to call my own. Never looked back since, and ClubSNAP has helped me grow in this interest of mine.

So, strictly speaking, I started off photography with my sister's books.

Hmm, my first camera was a simple Kodak point and shoot. No zoom, fixed lens with a dinky little flash and costs $29.90. Didn't used it much then, cos nothing to take.

My dad then tried to interest me in his old Nikon MF SLR (can't remember what's the model), but I thought it's quite complicated. I was more interested in playing with a TLR camera (dunno the brand or even what format it is), just thought the upside down image in the viewfinder quite interesting.

My next camera was a Nikon compact just before I went overseas to study. It got alot of use as I was travelling quite alot. It served me well but after three years of struggling to 'just get a bit more in the frame' and generally lousy night shots, I threw in the tower and got the F75 kit which was on offer at the time (read last year) and started my foray into more serious photography.

I then learned about F-stops, aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, wide-angle, telephoto, normal lens, speedlights. I read about the Zone system, Sunny 16 rule, the rule of third and the use of filters. I also discovered E-Bay, and ended up spending quite alot more.

So now, having taken more photos in the past 5 months then the whole of the last 3 years, I'm still happily clicking away... (and trying not to look at items on E-Bay and Buy/Sell forums ...)

I started with Canon's first Ixus film cam won from lucky draw. Took it on a trip to Thailand and other places and started to like photography. Then, I bought my first digicam, Canon A40, brought it along a trip to Cape Town. Recently bought Minolta A1, still learning how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by iot
    anw, so i started snapping for the first time.. without putting any film inside
    *embarassed* haha.. took me 5 weeks before i realised that..
    sighs.. all the sneaking and creeping to get a shot of the crows at bishan, and nothing at the end of that. cruel.. just cruel..

I think I was there when it happened. I'm sure I was even one of the subject in his "photos"

So Iot, put one of your phots up please. I heard you have improved a lot....
    Oh, and my condolence on the demise of your old camera

As for me I bought a Nikon 3100 in January just to be able to take lots of pictures without needing to worry about extra cost on films and developing.

Sold it last week because of friend's influence to buy Fuji S5000 during IT fair. Been interested in photography since then due to friends influence and wanting to make the most of my $700 camera

Started to learn the finer techniques when my wife told me my holiday pictures are terrible.......Since then pick-uped photography as a past-time and hobby... Its still a hobby and besides my job, I offer my free services to my employer to cover all their corporate events to continue my passion

Always wanted more control, wonder how people came up with visually pleasing pics.

1st SLR handled was my fren's Minolta 500si. He was in ID school then so SLR camera is a requirement. Fasinated by what an SLR can do.

Then bgt my very 1st SLR, Minolta 500si super in 1998 with my 4th pay cheque. Used camera to take pics of frens, relatives and especially like low light, night shots. used 800si since year 2000.

A hobbyist, felt most satisfied when photo was chosen as cover page in Town council monthly publication, as I volunteered to shoot an event when working there.

Got a lot of tips and advice from online forum, Asiaphoto(think now defunct) now a must to visit
    ClubSnap!
    Last edited by Aton; 22nd March 2004 at 04:01 PM.

influenced by my 2 Uncles who are professional in this line
    but sadly.. my photog knowledge was not thru them
    hahahaha
    jus an inspiration to be like them

Default Long Story

Back in school(1993?) I have to study photography and I did badly. Only managed to pass by using my classmate's work :P Hated photography since then. threw away my lousy cheap SLR!

Last year, bought a LCA out of curiousity. have been shooting til december when I volunteered to shoot a friend's wedding, bought a Canon 300, given a Tamron 28-200 by my friend, did a pretty decent job for my friend's wedding!

This year, decided to do more serious shoots, especially portraits. Just invested on a 10D and Sigma 12-24 & 24-70 recently.

Now all I need is learn how to shoot proper portraits.

Started after learning about Clubsnap...then unemployment came plenty of time on my hands so took up a new hobby...

Sold my 5700 and waiting to plunge into DSLR when I have the money

All donations to my future D70 is welcomed

It is my ITE teacher that influence me. I bought my first camera Pratika BCA with a 50mm carl zeiss jena lens for $200.
    Then my teacher also gave me his Canon A1 and AE1.....and all started out! I fall in love with it.
    That time Nikon F4 is my dream camera but just could not afford it!

Influenced by my uncle when I was about 12 years old... went along with him on photo shoots with his manual Nikon SLR (can't remember which model now). Very fascinated by how light is manipulated to capture nice pictures.

I didn't understand too well how to set all the apertures and shutter speeds back then, but I knew I got a keen eye for composition. Ironically, my uncle has stopped shooting after a while, and I had no chance to toy around with any cameras (too expensive a hobby for me)... Until 5 years ago, when I could finally afford to buy an SLR myself, that I started this hobby seriously...

Never turned back since then...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

since sec school was vaguely aware of cameras n such stuff but no time n no money to explore. that was mid 1990s...eos1n just came out..so did the F5. that time those new developments in 35mm..things were starting to look exciting.

jc no time, no money also

army time no need to say.. =)

only till i was i was in uni then suddenly got a lot of time n money...somewhere between late 1999 and early 2000 that time coincided with a significant start of jpop-culture-craze in sg town... then fate had it that TCS 8 showed <overtime> on TV...the image of takashi sorimachi weildign the F5 and shootign cooly as a press photog was so impressive...i got hooked. thats it, i thought. i'm gonna be like him someday..so i quickly bought a nikon F60+ nikkor 28-105 lens and started shootign by trial n error n reading up as much as possible on 35mm...then added the nikkor 70-300...then a few months later familiar enough with most aspects of 35mm already...nothign much more to learn save for the more meticulous theory n technical details and niche areas (eg macro)..so attention turned more to equiptment. then upgraded to F90X and nikkor two-touch 80-200. then again upgraded to F100...a while later i realised that got this thing called Canon EOS. ;-) all the while had been using AFD and had not used AFS b4...one day @ <anthony's> had testdrived a ring-type USM lens...it was awesome! never in my life had seen such lightning fast, silent, responsive, accurate AF b4...then decided spur of the moment traded everything for EOS 3 n 28-70L . then shortly after, added the 70-200L. but all the while whether nikons or canons, they gave me great pics. but it was the feel of "L" lenses and the sleek curves of the EOS 1-series body then finally made me migrate permanently to Canon...but hey, still appreciate the classic feel of the black nikkors when i come across one ^_^

joined photography society during sec. school, but main aim during then was not photography... hmm sound strange right ... let me explain ...

actually, wanted to learn more about film development and print processing after seeing the teacher-in-charge demostrating print processing during sort of school internal "open house" by all the different ECAs, think that the enlarger was a real "cool" toy and joined the photography society.

But after joining discovered that photography is also necessary and we don't get to play with the "cool" toy a lot (kana bluff) ... invested in a film SLR (Minolta X-300) and taken quite a fair bit of photos during the 4 yrs of sec school ... as for the film development/print processing part, only managed to develop 1 roll of B&W film (not taken by me somemore) and a few B&W prints during the 4 yrs in sec school.

Those yrs in sec school really pushed me to like photography better ... Have a photo put up for exhibition during the school open house as it got a prize during a school internal photo competition ... not the top 3 prizes though ... just some sort of consolation prize ... but tat boost up my confidence on photography a lot and it struck as one of my hobbies.

Darkspade

influenced by friends around who take photos, and with the coming of the digital cameras, film cost = zilch, so cheaper to learn and practise ah!

Went to Chiang Mai, Thailand 2 years back in secondary 4 for Community work, one of my friends brought along her camera, a 35mm PnS, i was fascinated by what i saw in chiang Mai and was using her camera most of the time. In fact i even bought 3 more rolls to use on her cam

After my O's did some part time job, save a few hundred and got a Canon V3(alot of advertisting on it by canon) now still using, but i hoped i had bought a A70 that time now abit limited by my V3.

Now in SP and i am so glad that there are alot of like minded photographers in the photography club

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast