Thread: Question on lens

Default Question on lens

Hi, I have a EF-S55-250mm f4-5.6 IS

Does the "f4-5.6" refer to the aperture?

Does this mean that when I am using the lens, I must set the camera's apperture to within the f4-5.6 range?

What happens if I set the camera's aperture outside the range?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Adrian Teo; 21st January 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Default Re: Question on lens

it means that at 55, the biggest/ max aperture is 4, while at 250, the biggest/ max aperture is 5.6.

if you are at 55, you can still set the aperture to...say 8, that mean you will have a smaller aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisGabriel View Post
    it means that at 55, the biggest/ max aperture is 4, while at 250, the biggest/ max aperture is 5.6.

if you are at 55, you can still set the aperture to...say 8, that mean you will have a smaller aperture.
    Thanks. So if at 55 I set the camera aperture to 8, the actual aperture (camera plus lens) will be 4 (because the max aperture for the lens is 4)?

What if at 55 I set the camera aperture to 2, will the actual aperture (camera plus lens) be 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Teo View Post
    Thanks. So if at 55 I set the camera aperture to 8, the actual aperture (camera plus lens) will be 4 (because the max aperture for the lens is 4)?

What if at 55 I set the camera aperture to 2, will the actual aperture (camera plus lens) be 2?
    huh?? if you set it to 8 at 55, then the aperture will be 8...

since the biggest/ max aperture is 4, you wont be able to go to 2. It will not show 2 on your camera no matter how you roll the scroll...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Teo View Post

Have you read your manual, or tried to google "aperture"?
    Alpha

since the biggest/ max aperture is 4, you wont be able to go to 2. It will not show 2 on your camera no matter how you roll the scroll...

OK thanks, the camera will automatically set the max aperture based on the lens I am using.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Have you read your manual, or tried to google "aperture"?
    Yup thanks. Francis kindly answered my question already.

I just keep forgetting that the bigger the f number the smaller the aperture and vice versa
    Last edited by Adrian Teo; 21st January 2010 at 08:46 PM.