Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Signing on Army as MDES

  1. #1

    Default Signing on Army as MDES

    Hi everyone,

    I am currently an NSF in the ARMY and still got 1yr 3 mths to go before i ORD.
    My current education level is NITEC/ntc2 in Precision Engineering(Machining).
    I have a GPA of 3.2
    I am 22 this yr and will turn 23 when i ORD.

    Previously I was thinking of pursuing a diploma in Technical Engineer Diploma in Machine Technology.
    The course is 3.5 yrs. 2 yrs study and 1.5 yrs attachment.
    So I'll start my career with only a Diploma and only at 27 yrs old.

    So, I came across this MDES scheme one day and seem to be interested.
    I've sent an email to them for further enquiries but haven't receive a reply yet.
    Like the exact jobscope, so that it is in my field of interest, which is Engineering. I wouldn't want to suffer doing a job that i don't like for 5 or 10 yrs.

    So I need anybody's opinion on this one
    Would i benefit if i sign on? since my line is in precision engrg with a GPA of 3.2? And that i'm only gonna start work at 27?

    Pls share ur view, opinions or takes cause i really need to decide for my future career. Thx!
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Nobody can decide your future for you. How you can excel in your career is depending on yourself and willingness. Only time will tell.

    You can blame on anyone who give you recommendation on which job is better should it fails you in the future.

  3. #3
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    I agree with spheredome, this is too important a decision to give recommendation, talk it over with your parents and also people who have enrolled in such programs for their input.

    ../azul123

  4. #4

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    May I ask what vocation are you in now and in what vocation do you intend to sign on into, this is becasue you may not get a vocation exactly in the field of precision engineering, but might be other "engineering" fields.
    Are you now in a combat field or logistics field?

    Please answer the questions above.

    As for the questions below, please do not answer them here but ask them yourself. From my experience in my 2 years Dec 2007- Dec 2009, and with talking with many regulars there, these are questions you must ask yourself. If many many of the questions below turn out negative for you, even with the salary, you will suffer for the 5-10 years.

    These are questions that really affect working morale.

    Very Important Know very clearly:
    And are you intending to stop at Diploma (Seriously affect career progression)?
    After a service of 5-10 years, are you deciding to move on or continue in service?
    Do you clearly know the MDES scheme outline (ie Career Progression requirements, pay increments etc)
    Even if you do not get a vocation very close or exactly about precision engineering, but in the engineering field are you still up for it?
    Are you willing and able to take on multiple secondary appointments?
    Are you able to process alot of paperwork which are mostly computer system based?

    Morale:
    In your vocation now, what do you think of the army?
    What did you think of the army in BMT?
    What do you think of your superiors? (sergeants/officers)
    What do you think about the capabilities of the army as a whole?
    What do you think about the capabilities of your unit right now?
    What do you think about the infrastructure of the facilities of your vocation right now?
    Are you willing and able to take on multiple secondary appointments?
    Are you able to process alot of paperwork which are mostly computer system based?

    DISCLAIMER: These questions are NOT recommendations/nor advice, my intention is to create questions to help you give yourself a clearer picture of what you really want to do. Change the wordings and they can even be applied to other jobs elsewhere.

    Also, if you are in a logistics vocation already, please talk to the regulars especially warrants and sergeants that are converting over about their opinions.

    In the end, dont let others decide for you, but take all the information in, process it, make a clear and balanced judgement before deciding.
    Last edited by JoshSiao; 21st January 2010 at 11:05 AM.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Nobody can decide your future for you. How you can excel in your career is depending on yourself and willingness. Only time will tell.

    You can blame on anyone who give you recommendation on which job is better should it fails you in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    I agree with spheredome, this is too important a decision to give recommendation, talk it over with your parents and also people who have enrolled in such programs for their input.../azul123
    Yeah, I'm not letting u guys choose for me but rather i would want your opinions if, u used to be a regular or have spoken to/mingle around with such regulars. My mom would say, she anything one, whatever i do is up to me and just don't rush. And the thing is i haven't found any ppl who have enrolled in such programs, that is why i post a thread here about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    May I ask what vocation are you in now and in what vocation do you intend to sign on into, this is becasue you may not get a vocation exactly in the field of precision engineering, but might be other "engineering" fields.
    Are you now in a combat field or logistics field?

    Please answer the questions above.

    As for the questions below, please do not answer them here but ask them yourself. From my experience in my 2 years Dec 2007- Dec 2009, and with talking with many regulars there, these are questions you must ask yourself. If many many of the questions below turn out negative for you, even with the salary, you will suffer for the 5-10 years.

    These are questions that really affect working morale.

    Very Important Know very clearly:
    And are you intending to stop at Diploma (Seriously affect career progression)?
    After a service of 5-10 years, are you deciding to move on or continue in service?
    Do you clearly know the MDES scheme outline (ie Career Progression requirements, pay increments etc)
    Even if you do not get a vocation very close or exactly about precision engineering, but in the engineering field are you still up for it?
    Are you willing and able to take on multiple secondary appointments?
    Are you able to process alot of paperwork which are mostly computer system based?

    Morale:
    In your vocation now, what do you think of the army?
    What did you think of the army in BMT?
    What do you think of your superiors? (sergeants/officers)
    What do you think about the capabilities of the army as a whole?
    What do you think about the capabilities of your unit right now?
    What do you think about the infrastructure of the facilities of your vocation right now?
    Are you willing and able to take on multiple secondary appointments?
    Are you able to process alot of paperwork which are mostly computer system based?

    DISCLAIMER: These questions are NOT recommendations/nor advice, my intention is to create questions to help you give yourself a clearer picture of what you really want to do. Change the wordings and they can even be applied to other jobs elsewhere.

    Also, if you are in a logistics vocation already, please talk to the regulars especially warrants and sergeants that are converting over about their opinions.

    In the end, dont let others decide for you, but take all the information in, process it, make a clear and balanced judgement before deciding.
    Hi,
    thx for the list of considerations, really appreciate it.
    Im an ASA(clerk) as I am a PES C1 due to an accident. So i'm in admin & customer service field,which i hate.
    Yeah, I guess i don't mind any kind of engineering.
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Quote Originally Posted by irritainment View Post
    Yeah, I'm not letting u guys choose for me but rather i would want your opinions if, u used to be a regular or have spoken to/mingle around with such regulars. My mom would say, she anything one, whatever i do is up to me and just don't rush. And the thing is i haven't found any ppl who have enrolled in such programs, that is why i post a thread here about it.


    Hi,
    thx for the list of considerations, really appreciate it.
    Im an ASA(clerk) as I am a PES C1 due to an accident. So i'm in admin & customer service field,which i hate.
    Yeah, I guess i don't mind any kind of engineering.
    bro, since you are pes c1 do they even allow you to sign on in the first place? read thru some of the differences of this new scheme- MDES with the old one from the pioneer magazine, they say that you are further your studies after 2 yrs of service instead of waiting 3-5 yrs for nw. correct me if im wrong jux giving my 2 cents

  7. #7

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Bro

    You already said it yourself 'i'm in admin & customer service field,which i hate'

    If you are Pes C and whats the point of sign on??? There are many peep around who is working full time and part time studying. Dun forget if you sign on and your 10 yrs of freedom are lock down by SAF. Take into consideration that your contract ends at age of 30 are you going to come out to the society to work? Most pro you will continue in SAF. I had met alot of peep who had signed on and regret tat decision 2-3yr during the contract. As for private sector you dun like you can change job but SAF haha i can say is Suck Thumb and wait for the contract to end.

    Tats my 2cents cheers anyway the future is in your hands.

    Cheers
    Last edited by Ringwraiths; 21st January 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  8. #8

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    You also have to think that in the case should you hate your SAF job, and you want to leave, are there any companies in the private sector that has requirements of your specialisation? Otherwise, you might have to restart your career and take a big paycut. That is what happened to some of my friends. Earn like 3-4k in the army, hated it, come out and start earning 2-2.5k due to inexperience.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

  9. #9

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    You also have to think that in the case should you hate your SAF job, and you want to leave, are there any companies in the private sector that has requirements of your specialisation? Otherwise, you might have to restart your career and take a big paycut. That is what happened to some of my friends. Earn like 3-4k in the army, hated it, come out and start earning 2-2.5k due to inexperience.
    Totally Agreed, a Friend of mine signed on (drawing like 3K+) and hate SAF Job contract ended wanted to join the work force but experience is totally Zero to his field of studies. So LL joined electronic company and drawing like 1.5 and had to chiong for OT in order to maintain lifestyle haizzz damn sad haha.

    Also bear in mind the economy factor when you had ended your contract. If there are recession hits during the time that you ended your contract haha really God Bless You tat if you are even able to get a job.
    Last edited by Ringwraiths; 21st January 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  10. #10

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    hey all..
    thx for ther replies..
    well, i asked my OC about it and he said MDES Engineering doesn't require me to take NAPFA and the online booklet also doesn't state for me to be medically fit.

    And my line is only in Precision Engineering. How far can i go? Do u know anything about my line? If u can give me a better prospect or what career i can have outside which is stable for a NITEC/DIPLOMA holder, that would be wonderful, and don't you think starting a career at 27 is a lil bit too late?..and once i did attachment at a pte company. ALL are CHINA WORKERS!

    And MDES also will provide courses for self upgrading, so that, when i decide to go out into the pte sector, i have the experience and the qualification.

    And i have yet to enquire further about the jobscope and make sure i have interest in the fields that they provide.

    Keep the thread goin yea...thx alot..
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Quote Originally Posted by irritainment View Post
    Yeah, I'm not letting u guys choose for me but rather i would want your opinions if, u used to be a regular or have spoken to/mingle around with such regulars.

    Glad you are clear about that part. Ok so now we can post up some opinions.

    As I said above, you may not get a field that is under precision engineering, but maybe say "ABCD". However, when you leave the force you have your paper qualification as "Precision Engineering" but zero experience that that field and no qualification on "ABCD" but 10 years of experience on it. Lets say you go out and try to find a job that requires precision engineering, employers will hire you at a zero experience expectation, that means much lower pay. If you go out and try to get a job similar to that which you have experience with "ABCD" you will also find difficulty as employers cannot justify hiring you just based on experience alone.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Most people who sign with the army (or bond with uniform org), either stay there till retirement or they leave and take a hefty pay cut due to the non-related experience- read, the uniform sector and the things you do are really a niche and too specialisation for the pte sector to be looking into. when they realise they aren't able to take the cut, they force themselves to stay (esp when your financial needs change as you start family, have children, buy property, car etc.) but suffer through the years cursing and swearing. just what i've heard, too many a times. just think a bit further ahead ya.

    all the best in your search and decision!
    Licence to shoot.

  13. #13
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    I am quite sure there will be many negatives about signing on, for me I will not encourage my son to sign-on if he seeks my advice. I will leave it those who know more about that aspect. But the positives I can think of are:

    1) strong employer, can hardly go bankrupt
    2) as long as you don't do anything silly, should rise through the ranks
    3) try to project a likeable personality whenever possible, if your superior likes you, then you have it made
    4) ...
    5) ...

    More people can add on, but also add the negatives lah, so TS can weigh in the pros & cons.

    Oh, I can think of one cons... you might find your friends earning big bucks in private sector but they can also be laid-off.

    ../azul123

  14. #14

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    hmm...ok...thx for the replies...

    how bout starting a career at a pte sector at 27 with only a diploma, and what i've read, with a basic pay of $1.6k?
    is my line that stable?
    hw bout the foreign workers? they provide cheaper labour..

    here's the link of the diploma that i've thought of pursuing:
    http://www.ite.edu.sg/ft/ted_mt.htm

    any takes?
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    actually you will be starting work @ 25. dont discount the 1.5 years of working exp. it all adds to your portfolio.
    the thing is if you want to work for someone and especially on specilize field, you have to keep studying and even get a degree after you get your diploma.
    i would suggest part time diploma and part time degree ...but that you will have to manage time well and play less.
    and yes, i do know quite a number of uni grads from nus that came from ite. yes they are older but they are still piaing...some even have wife and kids - i pei fu them

    at the end of the day...its still up to you.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    hmm...that's quite true ah...
    but the thing is, i come from a low income family..
    so its pretty hard for me to pursue further studies...
    NIKON D60|18-55mm|18-200mm|Raynox DCR 250|Di622
    Fail to plan is planning to fail.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    I too, come from a low-income family, in actual, parents told me i'm on my own after diploma. Now pursuing my part time degree, full time job, every month save a bit, then pay off per semester school fees. I'm also not young anymore, but it's how much you want it and a matter of sacrifices. There is no easy way around this.
    Licence to shoot.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Quote Originally Posted by irritainment View Post
    hmm...that's quite true ah...
    but the thing is, i come from a low income family..
    so its pretty hard for me to pursue further studies...
    Well bro not all peep are born with a sliver spoon or golden spoon right. I too came from low-income family base and i had work my way up to the corporate world.

    So its the attitudes that counts. quote 'so its pretty hard for me to pursue further studies.' well it will be hard but it not impossible right.
    Canon EOS 500D | Sigma DC OS 18-200mm | EF-S 55-250mm IS F4-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II

  19. #19
    Member NoiNoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seng Kang
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Signing on Army as MDES

    Times has change. In the past, regulars has the option to stay on for the 2nd contract but now, the army decides whether you stay or leave. (if no contract, "Golden handshake")

    Good luck to your choice!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •