Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    K-x nuff said
    www.creativelab.com.sg
    Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-E1

  2. #42

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    If you want a Nikon, get at least a D90 (or D80 2nd hand). D5000's shortcomings will make upgrade path difficult unless you don't intend to ever move away from the kit lenses. Tiltable LCD isnt that useful as well, given the D5000's next to useless AF speed in liveview mode (Sony A500/550 is much much better in the aspect).

    K-x is clearly the way to go if you just consider between the 2.

  3. #43
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    If you want a Nikon, get at least a D90 (or D80 2nd hand). D5000's shortcomings will make upgrade path difficult unless you don't intend to ever move away from the kit lenses. Tiltable LCD isnt that useful as well, given the D5000's next to useless AF speed in liveview mode (Sony A500/550 is much much better in the aspect).

    K-x is clearly the way to go if you just consider between the 2.
    Please justify the statement where you claim upgrade is 'difficult'.
    Nikon do make lots of AF-S lenses, with more coming on stream each year. Same situation goes for the 3rd party manufacturers.
    If you're talking about cost differences (eg. AF-D 50/1.4 vs AF-S 50/1.4), then I absolutely agree that the AF-S lenses cost more than their non-motored counterparts...
    But DIFFICULT to upgrade...? I don't think so...
    Exploring! :)

  4. #44

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohok1973 View Post
    Ok the maunal focus point is something that bugs me too, as I do not wish to have all my subjects to be in the middle of the picutre. I would love to have them sometimes to the right or left......

    D5000 can do manual focus with the help of the focus point in the viewfinder which Pentax is lack off too.

    Than again, I am impress by Pentax reviews from users and experts no less. So heandache
    I think you misunderstanding something here. You can certainly manual focus with the K-x. If you mean manual selection of AF point, then you can do it with the K-x too, you just can't see the selected AF point in the viewfinder.

    In any case, no matter what system just about all photographers will still use center focus even if they intend to put the subject on the left or right of the frame. It's a basic technique that everyone should know:

    1. Point the center of the frame at your subject
    2. Half press the shutter release to begin focus
    3. Wait for the beep sound (or some other visual indicator) that tells you focus is locked and on
    4. Recompose the frame how you want too
    5. Fully depress the shutter release to take the picture
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    I think you misunderstanding something here. You can certainly manual focus with the K-x. If you mean manual selection of AF point, then you can do it with the K-x too, you just can't see the selected AF point in the viewfinder.

    In any case, no matter what system just about all photographers will still use center focus even if they intend to put the subject on the left or right of the frame. It's a basic technique that everyone should know:

    1. Point the center of the frame at your subject
    2. Half press the shutter release to begin focus
    3. Wait for the beep sound (or some other visual indicator) that tells you focus is locked and on
    4. Recompose the frame how you want too
    5. Fully depress the shutter release to take the picture
    i double, triple comfirm Kx can use manual selection of AF point .....because i am using it on a manual prime lens now.

    get the Kx ....i am newbie Dslr user too and one month plus ago i got a Kx and love it.

    dont worry about the stories about hard to get pentax lenses etc etc....only one month and I have collected 6 lenses now.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohok1973 View Post
    ;-
    Pentax K-x + 18-55mm + 50-200mm is ~$900


    was quoted for d5000
    18-55mm + 50-200mm(VR) is ~$1470 with gst and 2% Visa payment
    Hmm.. That's like over $500 more if you go for the dual kit with Nikon...
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    For red pentax KX, it only comes with a kit lense? I'm thinking to get the dual kit but heard that only black is available.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    thought it was canon vs pentax...anyway here's my take:
    it's actually simple, if you are not brand conscious, go pentax..if you are brand conscious go canon or nikon, canikons are expensive for a reason, they've built and established their reputation onto the mainstream masses and have proven their solid outstanding performance, they have the money for research and development so they get to pioneer technologies, they have more support as they have more users (~80% slr users are canikon)= more support for accessories, customers service etc..so when you choose a brand, you dive into their system, and once you get into that, it will be hard to switch then..it's like samsung, sony vs LG for LCD...nokia vs motorola..etc..

  9. #49

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    thought it was canon vs pentax...anyway here's my take:
    it's actually simple, if you are not brand conscious, go pentax..if you are brand conscious go canon or nikon, canikons are expensive for a reason, they've built and established their reputation onto the mainstream masses and have proven their solid outstanding performance, they have the money for research and development so they get to pioneer technologies, they have more support as they have more users (~80% slr users are canikon)= more support for accessories, customers service etc..so when you choose a brand, you dive into their system, and once you get into that, it will be hard to switch then..it's like samsung, sony vs LG for LCD...nokia vs motorola..etc..
    money to pay their boss or money to pioneer technology...

    what's little said about Pentax's pioneering efforts is in the k7, have u seen such features packed into a small (smallest), light (lightest), full weather-resistance (again the only one in it's class) APS-C semi-pro in the market other than k7? it makes the rest look like bricks.

    that's what I call major breakthrough..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  10. #50

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    In any case, no matter what system just about all photographers will still use center focus even if they intend to put the subject on the left or right of the frame. It's a basic technique that everyone should know:

    1. Point the center of the frame at your subject
    2. Half press the shutter release to begin focus
    3. Wait for the beep sound (or some other visual indicator) that tells you focus is locked and on
    4. Recompose the frame how you want too
    5. Fully depress the shutter release to take the picture
    Actually, this method dont work well when using fast lenses with big aperture. The DOF is too thin. Once you recompose, subject is off focus already. Here's a link to why focus recompose is no good when DOF is too thin. LINK

    This is the only thing that stop me from buying k-x. I always select my own focus point. In fact, those who shoot portrait will tell you that the focus point should be at the eyes at all time. If you cannot see the exact focus point, it is very difficult to ensure that the eyes are in focus instead of the cheek or nose.

    but, between k-x and 450d, i think i will choose k-x. white camera with matching white lens is way too cool

  11. #51

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by woefulwabbit View Post
    In any case, no matter what system just about all photographers will still use center focus even if they intend to put the subject on the left or right of the frame. It's a basic technique that everyone should know:
    actually i lazy to do that for landscapes, plus have to have a level horizon...

    so i just select af point!

  12. #52

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Take note that the in-built stabilization is a very useful feature in the long run.

    For instance, nikon users will have to fork out like $800+ for the new tamron 17-50(with vibration control) while you could stick to the older version saving at least $300 .

    If you want features in-between ard the price range, the sony a5xx is another option (in-built stab, tiltable screen, noise quality even better than the D90 but lacks the HD video & DOF features pentax have).

    I am baffled when ppl claim the limitations of lens choices for the pentax series. Seriously how many lens are you going to use? And do note that every lens you use come with an in-built stabilization from your pentax body

  13. #53
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Wow. Surprised to see so many neutral non-Pentaxians giving your vote to Pentax. Very knowledgeable bunch. As a Pentaxian, giving my vote to the kx may seem bias but kx is no-doubt one of the best entry level cameras. I always tell my friends, Canon and Nikon is good, yes, for their mid and pro range bodies and lenses. I have my respect for the D700, D3, and Canon's superb series of L lenses, especially those mid-super teles with ultra wide apertures. But for entry level cameras, I wouldn't say C/N are the best choices. Too many a times I have heard silly stories of peer pressure for getting a N/C or funny remarks against P. But why are we subjecting ourselves to comments and ideas of the ignorant?
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  14. #54
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    they have the money for research and development so they get to pioneer technologies,
    Money, they have. But I won't be saying that they pioneer technologies. Such, Pentax model circulation tends to be longer than competing brands, but they set the trend which followed by others. Say, Pentax got the first 14.6 megapixel sensor or a 100% view finder camera being followed by others afterwards.

    I think you still don't have any Idea what Pentax's next DSLR is...
    Last edited by banana0ne; 23rd January 2010 at 11:27 AM.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  15. #55

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Please justify the statement where you claim upgrade is 'difficult'.
    Nikon do make lots of AF-S lenses, with more coming on stream each year. Same situation goes for the 3rd party manufacturers.
    If you're talking about cost differences (eg. AF-D 50/1.4 vs AF-S 50/1.4), then I absolutely agree that the AF-S lenses cost more than their non-motored counterparts...
    But DIFFICULT to upgrade...? I don't think so...
    Good luck finding a cheap 50/1.8 for the D5000. Don't even let me get into wireless flash system with it.
    Last edited by Titan10k; 23rd January 2010 at 02:47 PM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    Hi, Sorry to jump in here and ask a question

    I am also looking to buy a K-x or a used K200D
    I mainly want to frame birds, sine you have collection of lenses. May I know which 500mm lens should I go for ...Sigma. Pentax, Tamaron.

    Thank you so much in advance
    You might want to ask in a new thread in the Pentax forum, there are more Pentax experts that can help you out there. Good luck
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  17. #57
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Good luck finding a cheap 50/1.8 for the D5000. Don't even let me get into wireless flash system with it.
    Did TS state that he wants to buy a 50/1.8?
    Does EVERYONE who buys a DSLR also get a 50/1.8 lens?
    Does difficult = expensive?
    Exploring! :)

  18. #58

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Good luck finding a cheap 50/1.8 for the D5000. Don't even let me get into wireless flash system with it.
    Isn't the 50/1.8 for Nikon cheap? ~$150 2nd hand?

    Yes, without the in-built motor, it does cut off users from slapping on a cheap 2nd-hand AF lens, and also cuts off users from doing AF on those AF-D lenses, which is pretty annoying, considering i'm also in the same predicament. (D60 user here haha)

    Also, I totally agree with the cost differences if you were to strictly buy AF-S/HSM/DC-motor lenses; buying the same range of lenses with just body-driven AF is much much cheaper.

    The last point I want to emphasize is that... even though the brand has many lenses, are you gonna get all of them? The cost might even prove to be a dead end. Take me for example;
    Me is Nikon User. Me wants Fast VR Tele (Nikon 70-200/2.8), Me needs to part with $3k (I haven't and I won't.)
    If you get the tamron or sigma, you won't get stabilization.
    Compared to this;
    Me is Pentax Stabilized body User. Me wants Fast Tele. Me gets (70-200/2.8 Sigma or Tamron). Me parts with $1k and saves $2k. Stabilization is in body, so ANY lens can be stabilized

    In view of that, I highly recommend the K-x. Imagine getting image stabilization on old lenses! Think screw-mount lenses! Heck, I could get a 50/1.8 + m42 to K-mount for $150 flat! And it's stabilized! Can you name me a 50/1.8 from other brands that is stabilized? (other than Sony haha, they got in-body IS too :P)

    Regards,
    gibss.
    Last edited by gibss; 24th January 2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Nikon & Pentax :)

  19. #59

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by gibss View Post
    Isn't the 50/1.8 for Nikon cheap? ~$150 2nd hand?

    Yes, without the in-built motor, it does cut off users from slapping on a cheap 2nd-hand AF lens, and also cuts off users from doing AF on those AF-D lenses, which is pretty annoying, considering i'm also in the same predicament. (D60 user here haha)

    Also, I totally agree with the cost differences if you were to strictly buy AF-S/HSM/DC-motor lenses; buying the same range of lenses with just body-driven AF is much much cheaper.
    You answered it yourself. Cheap + able to auto-focus 50mm on D5000 = non-existence. And my quote for the 50/1.8 is just a sample of how limited the upgrade path of the D5000 can be. Tamron 17-50/2.8 (of which many regards of the best value zoom for aps-c cameras) on D5000 anyone? I know the list can go on but I couldn't care less to find more good / desirable lenses that can't auto-focus on the D5000.

    Quote Originally Posted by gibss View Post
    The last point I want to emphasize is that... even though the brand has many lenses, are you gonna get all of them? The cost might even prove to be a dead end. Take me for example;
    Me is Nikon User. Me wants Fast VR Tele (Nikon 70-200/2.8), Me needs to part with $3k (I haven't and I won't.)
    If you get the tamron or sigma, you won't get stabilization.
    Compared to this;
    Me is Pentax Stabilized body User. Me wants Fast Tele. Me gets (70-200/2.8 Sigma or Tamron). Me parts with $1k and saves $2k. Stabilization is in body, so ANY lens can be stabilized

    In view of that, I highly recommend the K-x. Imagine getting image stabilization on old lenses! Think screw-mount lenses! Heck, I could get a 50/1.8 + m42 to K-mount for $150 flat! And it's stabilized! Can you name me a 50/1.8 from other brands that is stabilized? (other than Sony haha, they got in-body IS too :P)

    Regards,
    gibss.
    Couldn't have said that better myself.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Pentax KX or Canon 450d?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    You answered it yourself. Cheap + able to auto-focus 50mm on D5000 = non-existence. And my quote for the 50/1.8 is just a sample of how limited the upgrade path of the D5000 can be. Tamron 17-50/2.8 (of which many regards of the best value zoom for aps-c cameras) on D5000 anyone? I know the list can go on but I couldn't care less to find more good / desirable lenses that can't auto-focus on the D5000.
    Yeah, feeling the pinch indeed haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Couldn't have said that better myself.
    Yeah, imagine 16mm stabilized. Think of the amount of light you could get while handheld lol

    Regards,
    gibss.
    Nikon & Pentax :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •