Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all Amateur photographers.

Arrow To all Amateur photographers.

Hi, have u guys been intimidated by those big zoom lens and expensive cameras when u go for events or photoshooting?

Deregistered

Yeah. Only when I've to carry them.

It's envious to see such wonderful sharp glasses, esp when they provide a nice range. Expensive bodies maybe, but when I handled one and found that I was unable to handle it, I realised the photographer is still more important. The camera is really secondary.

Just enjoy shooting!

When i went for my first shooting for a event, a few other photographers where using those expensive digital cams. When they snap the pictures, u onli hear the shutter sound. For me, my camera was a film SLR, make alot of noise, especially when its rewinding....... haha......

I just laugh at them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickpower
    Hi, have u guys been intimidated by those big zoom lens and expensive cameras when u go for events or photoshooting?

Dun need to feel this way...........after all it the man behind the equipments.
    As for me, i not very fuzzy over the sharpness, all i care is the MOMENT.

Just get those u need and u find it good for you (in terms of price and quality of the lens)

My Tokina (Red Ring) 80-200 F2.8 only cost me $180 cos it lens coat have some problem that why so cheap. So far it do not affect my picture.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Amateur photographers may become semi-pro and later even professional photographer if he/she decided to venture into this trade. The equipment lists will slow grows ..... important is your skills counts more than what you are using. Even PNS can gives you excellent pix ....
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

I borrow the huge lens from them and smile at them while I hog it for the whole day.
    Especially if they're Canon.
    Don't worry so much lah. It's not the lens that makes a picture, it's the brain behind the camera.

well... i feel intimidated in a way becos i there's no way my 32-96mm zoom lens can compete with a 300++mm lens for capturing distant objects. for close-up shots, no worries at all.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Don't worry so much lah. It's not the lens that makes a picture, it's the brain behind the camera.
    In agreement.
    For outings, who cares? I'm there for the fun and friends.

to a certain extend. I wouldn't join a model shoot for example, because my G5 takes so long to focus, the model would have changed several pose before I managed to snap off otherwise I'd simply be in the way of the others.

are you intimidated by those one the road with big mercedes benz, shiny expensive sports cars like porche, ferraris...etc?

they got the $$$ to own big lenses, expensive cameras, that's their own business....of course, one has the rights to feel intimidated...

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    to a certain extend. I wouldn't join a model shoot for example, because my G5 takes so long to focus, the model would have changed several pose before I managed to snap off otherwise I'd simply be in the way of the others.
    u should try joining a model shoot. i had a lot of fun joining the model shoot at the zoo, using an oly c4000 (focusing time slower than G5). the model will hold her pose for several seconds before changing it, so there is plenty of time for you to frame the shot, pre-focus, and shoot. you won't be in the way of others becos every photog will have a chance to get in close to photograph the model. your G5 will definitely give you excellent pics.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

my G5 like focusing is extremely slow leh. even my daughters give up waiting for it to focus

use whatever you are comfortable with.
    in the end, let the photos be the judge of who is a better photographer

of course we can't compare a mercedez with a suzuki....
    but there are things that money can't buy - -> an eye for details, composition style and skills.......etc.

I'm not impressed by those big DSLR with big zoom lens lor....but I really respect those who do so (they must be very strong!).
    I shoot mostly street-photography. It is a burden to me when bring out big and heavy SLR with big zoom lens to shoot pictures. Thats way I use a rangefinder and a Contax T3. Small, light and good optical quality!

hahaa good one here

i am more intimidated by the one behind the wheels...in short it is the photographer that counts

cheers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    are you intimidated by those one the road with big mercedes benz, shiny expensive sports cars like porche, ferraris...etc?

they got the $$$ to own big lenses, expensive cameras, that's their own business....of course, one has the rights to feel intimidated...

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot
    use whatever you are comfortable with.
    in the end, let the photos be the judge of who is a better photographer

of course we can't compare a mercedez with a suzuki....
    but there are things that money can't buy - -> an eye for details, composition style and skills.......etc.

totally agree.....sometimes i prefer to just carry a pocket size coolpix around instead of lugging a heavy bag, yet the photos produced can be equally good.....esp when you need to be discreet or quick in capturing the moment without having to go thru the whole set up.

Even if you have loads of cash to buy all the best equipment, if you haven't the skill, you can only produce the ordinary. So don't feel so intimidated my friend

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    u should try joining a model shoot. i had a lot of fun joining the model shoot at the zoo, using an oly c4000 (focusing time slower than G5). the model will hold her pose for several seconds before changing it, so there is plenty of time for you to frame the shot, pre-focus, and shoot. you won't be in the way of others becos every photog will have a chance to get in close to photograph the model. your G5 will definitely give you excellent pics.
    Yes, and I believe the camera engineers design the digicam for the purpose of model shoots!
    The model would not move unless you ask her to.....

Red face

brudders, it's all in the mind!
    Intimidation is a result of self-deprivation/no confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    my G5 like focusing is extremely slow leh. even my daughters give up waiting for it to focus
    usually kids have a lot less patience. not easy to shoot even with fast slr. somehow their eyes look away faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast