Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lens difference

  1. #1

    Exclamation Lens difference

    Hi,

    i did like to check is there a difference in a macro zoom lens and a normal zoom lens..? Perhaps an example will be between AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 and AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.. The cost is like a huge difference.. I need something tat i can zoom for either for close-ups or zooming into something tat is out of reach from a 18-70mm lens.. Please advise.. Thanks..

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens difference

    a macro zoom lens has a closer minimum focus distance.. so u can move much closer to ur subject.. if u want extreme close ups, u will want a macro lens
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Lens difference

    Quote Originally Posted by abc1def2ghi3 View Post
    Hi,

    i did like to check is there a difference in a macro zoom lens and a normal zoom lens..? Perhaps an example will be between AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 and AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.. The cost is like a huge difference.. I need something tat i can zoom for either for close-ups or zooming into something tat is out of reach from a 18-70mm lens.. Please advise.. Thanks..
    the second lens is built in with image stabilizer (VR), thats why the price is huge difference. you should compare between brand with similar lens, like tamron vs sigma with 70-300mm Macro 1:2.
    Canon 500D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nissin Di622

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: Lens difference

    Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    the second lens is built in with image stabilizer (VR), thats why the price is huge difference. you should compare between brand with similar lens, like tamron vs sigma with 70-300mm Macro 1:2.
    Any one can give advise. i saw the tamron 70-300. going at 200 only brand new. dun knw how good it is. Cos if ok there going to get.
    nikon D300sl MB-D10 l AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED l AF 50mm f1.8 l Tok 12-24mm F4 l SB900

  5. #5
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Lens difference

    With regards to sports photography, a macro lens is just right for snail racing.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seletar, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Lens difference

    I've used the tamron 70-300 before. it's so cheap for a reason... the IQ is not impressive. If u're starting out and on a budget u can consider that lens, but my guess is you won't hold it for too long after seeing the IQ.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

  7. #7
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Lens difference

    Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens difference

    Warm welcome to the club !

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens difference

    Quote Originally Posted by ianhyk View Post
    I've used the tamron 70-300 before. it's so cheap for a reason... the IQ is not impressive. If u're starting out and on a budget u can consider that lens, but my guess is you won't hold it for too long after seeing the IQ.
    the IQ is poor from 200-300, but from 70-200 it is pretty decent stopped down.

    compared to other lenses in that price range, and even the 70-200 f/2.8 offerings, based on lens tests i've seen.

    sometimes the effect is psychological. cheap lens = poor IQ, so whatever you look at on the lcd is poor.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •