Thread: Photography magazine to recommend

Default Photography magazine to recommend

u guys have any recommendations on good photography magazines which i can learn how to take a good photograph and things like how to use a slr or dslr?

or maybe u guys dun believe in reading to learn, hands on is the best teacher?

reading is important to learn basics... and hands on to practice what you have learnt.

but magazines dont really teach technique much... books might be better...

but if you want to read magazines, try Practical photography and Digital photographer... many topics on digital post production, workflow and also shooting various subjects... and great pictures inside to give you some inspiration.... happy shooting and reading.

Go to Kino or Borders and take a look at books on photography. Beats every single magazine available now.

Hi

Try Practical Photography, Photography Monthly. Good mags. It has plenty of both film and digital articles. Both are monthly mags. For variety, go to Holland V and browse.

Cheers

thanks guy for the tips.

will go borders and have a browse the contents. but i believe most mag r from aboard, know of any local's?

recently a few photography related and locally published magazines has popped up. i have only read several issues of Photoi and browsed through Grain briefly once. the former is a free magazine which I feel is more broadbased while the other seems to be more "philosophical".

prolly good to feed your magazine habit with both magazines - both magazines are quite distinct from each other i feel, and you still pay only $6 (price of Grain?) for two magazines.

currently the foreign mags probably still provide more editorial content in terms of tips and techniques like the ones you are looking for, though the number of ads are higher too - in order to give you the number of editorial pages.

showtime,

u mentioned books might be a better learning tool. do u have any favourite titles to recommend?

Hi,

I found Practical Photogrphy is the best around. The rest are mostly fills with advertisements... some almost half the magazine..

Neverthess, no harm flipping through all the magazine if you have the time.

generally, i find that the magazines published in UK have better content than the US ones, but that may be just me .. coz i'm tired of reading articles which compare brand X against brand Y etc ....

I agree that books are a much better help to learning photography ... there are a few pretty good ones out there for beginners but i'll recommend
    1) National Geography: Secrets to making better photos
    2) John Shaw's Nature Photography

Quote Originally Posted by simonth
    showtime,

u mentioned books might be a better learning tool. do u have any favourite titles to recommend?
    the book i read when learning was titled The photographers handbook by john hedgecoe but that was published way back in 1977 and i have not read any modern book seriously so i wouln't know. but im sure there are great books now.