Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Dont quote me on this but,
    I remember reading an experiment performed ages ago, where they observe newborns till a certain age. And conclude that naturally we will not share. Sharing is taught or conditioned.

    I do agree Greed has many levels.
    If I earn $1k already enough for me & family, and with adequate savings for rainy days, and occasional holiday, then am I greedy to still want pay raise?

    But everyone can also see how the lust of money has made many blind enough to put aside basic moral values. And even more pathetic is how many attribute it to 'being competitive', 'society norms',etc. What was once frowned upon will eventually become acceptable over time.
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 20th January 2010 at 02:47 PM.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by harvardsch View Post
    wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

    Beautiful! and many thanks for sharing.
    So selfishness is not one of the deadly sins!
    No wonder people say, everyone for himself.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Dont quote me on this but,
    I remember reading an experiment performed ages ago, where they observe newborns till a certain age. And conclude that naturally we will not share. Sharing is taught or conditioned.

    I do agree Greed has many levels.
    If I earn $1k already enough for me & family, and with adequate savings for rainy days, and occasional holiday, then am I greedy to still want pay raise?

    But everyone can also see how the lust of money has made many blind enough to put aside basic moral values. And even more pathetic is how many attribute it to 'being competitive', 'society norms',etc. What was once frowned upon will eventually become acceptable over time.



    You have convey the message in a very simple way
    for all to understand. Thanks for sharing.
    No wonder mothers observe that little babies already
    behave in such selfish manners when they didn't
    even know how to talk yet.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Greed has made me from owning a P&S to a dslr.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    You have convey the message in a very simple way
    for all to understand. Thanks for sharing.
    No wonder mothers observe that little babies already
    behave in such selfish manners when they didn't
    even know how to talk yet.
    OT a little... just wondering, do you always type in that format?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Greed has made me from owning a P&S to a dslr.
    Greed has made me bought lenses that I've not used for a few months... and counting

  7. #27

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Beautiful! and many thanks for sharing.
    So selfishness is not one of the deadly sins!
    No wonder people say, everyone for himself.
    In today's society, I would like to classify materialism as another sin.
    I've always wonder why pride is a sin... it should be arrogance instead.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    Greed has made me bought lenses that I've not used for a few months... and counting
    Greed has made me from shooting aunties to XMMs.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    A quote from my favourite movie, Wall Street:

    The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.



    And look where we are now.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    I think there is a different word towards what is acceptable greedy. In mandarin, the word greed alone means one tends to take more than need. When the word becomes a proverb or mixed with subject like governor, greedy means take without limit and moral, which is bad.

    You can simply generalized the new age definition by saying anything that do not create damages or detrimental effect to critical mass is not consider bad. Selflessness without logic is bad too as he/she ended up require saving. Too generous creates lazy and forgranted community.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Greed has made me from shooting aunties to XMMs.

    That could be the lust for smooth skin instead of winkles.
    It could not be greed unless you want to shoot everything
    from head to toe and after that with nothing on the subject.

    Lust for beauty and youthfulness is not so dangerous as
    greedy for more money to buy better and better camera
    equipment.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    OT a little... just wondering, do you always type in that format?

    What format are you refering to?
    Is it the unconnected sequence of thoughts
    or the horrible boken grammer that was used?


  13. #33

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    What format are you refering to?
    Is it the unconnected sequence of thoughts
    or the horrible boken grammer that was used?

    About how you always make
    everything sound like a poetry
    All you need to do now
    is to make it all rhyme


  14. #34

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    The question is flawed.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Greedy for knowledge is good right?
    Knowledge by itself is not that important, it's what you do with that knowledge that matters..........

    Knowledge and intelligence are 2 different things, knowledge can always be learnt, as long as you have a good memory. Merely knowing alot of things only proofs you have a good memory, nothing else..........

    HS

  16. #36

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    The good and bad side of greed is that
    somewhere, somehow greed does make
    the world go around.
    i don't know, but gluttony makes america go round.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't know, but gluttony makes america go round.

    No wonder they seems to be in a more responsible position
    to send aid to some of the desperate Haitians who were still
    alive even after eight days of the earthquake.

    However the non gluttony countries are just watching and
    do nothing or have they done something?

    Yeah, people in seeing others being mindful, would make
    themselves become more awake.....aha, China, India, Japan,
    Australia, England and so on.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    I once ask a MC during a company function.

    'How do you manage to get audience to come on stage to participate in your game?'

    'Greed and fame' was the reply!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Beautiful! and many thanks for sharing.
    So selfishness is not one of the deadly sins!
    No wonder people say, everyone for himself.
    it is an indrect effect of all the sins

    greed, you want all the assets for yourself
    lust, you want all the xmm for yourself
    gluttony, you want all the food for yourself
    sloth, you want all the leisure for yourself
    wrath, you want to be angry for yourself
    pride, that can result in loads of selfishness
    envy, isn't that only arising from selfishness - wanting what others have for yourself, but not having it?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Being greedy is natural, is this true?

    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    No wonder they seems to be in a more responsible position
    to send aid to some of the desperate Haitians who were still
    alive even after eight days of the earthquake.
    the rich man that does good deeds for the sake of reputation and to feel good for himself..

    yet he steps on others on the way to reach his current status, meddling in poor families' lives because he can...

    is not a rich man i would respect.

    there is no natural disaster in africa, it is a place that requires a load of aid... but nothing is done there.

    this , i believe, we singaporeans like to call "wayang". but oh well, wayang that produces help is better than wayang that produces nothing i guess.
    Last edited by night86mare; 21st January 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •