Thread: Kindle 2 and Singapore

Default Kindle 2 and Singapore

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Amazon is unwilling to ship the Kindle to Singapore (or Malaysia, or Indonesia)... but happily ships to places like Myanmar, Rwanda, etc..

Even without the availability of their ubiquitous wireless service (WhisperNet), if the blokes in Rwanda can make do with copying over by USB, so could we in the supposedly super high-tech cutting-edge HUB-OF-EVERYTHING Singapore!!!

Perhaps the 4mil or so customer base doesn't mean as much as half a peanut to Amazon. I'm sure I'm missing something here. Can anyone in the know shed some light??

Default Re: Kindle 2 and Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Perhaps the 4mil or so customer base doesn't mean as much as half a peanut to Amazon. I'm sure I'm missing something here. Can anyone in the know shed some light??
    iDA approval may have something to do with it.

Then again, I'd rather get the sony ereader.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    iDA approval may have something to do with it.

Then again, I'd rather get the sony ereader.
    That was my suspicion too. If it was true, it would be a real shame. iDA is supposed to shepherd Singapore's infocomm fabric to the highest standards. Well, they're bloody SNAIL-CRAWLING us there.

No Kindle, No full-fledged iTunes store, what a joke.

Don't you need the Kindle 2 DX instead of the Kindle 2 since the DX version works on UMTS/HS*PA data networks?

Do not assume ida is all knowing.

When 900mhz and 2.4ghz was filed for usage by telco, ida requested for a free vendor training to learn abt the technologies.

It took them >5yrs to sort things out. Interference to erp had to be eliminated.

So, electronic devices that communicate must get their approval. Interference and duplicity of critical signals have to be sorted out.

Blog Entries

actually, it has nothing to do with IDA. it is due to the feet-dragging for part of the royalties demanded by the telcos here that is preventing amazon from selling kindle here. kindle works by wireless downloads. problem is that the telcos here demands a hefty cut of the royalties from downloads. it was reported in the papers earlier this year, iirc.

as for iTunes... blame the people controlling the licensing and royalties for music here (you know.. the ones that go after the getai singers every year during Hungry Ghost festival cos these singers were singing their copyrighted songs without paying the association?). i emailed apple SG when itunes store was launched, asking them when it is our turn. this was their reply. this was also reported in the papers.

either way.... we either suck thumb, or find workards.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal