Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HCMC - Cu Chi Tunnel, Vung Tau, Mekong Delta and Mui Ne

Default Re: HCMC - Cu Chi Tunnel, Vung Tau, Mekong Delta and Mui Ne

i loved crossing the road in HCMC. I was scared the 1st time I encountered it but then i saw 2 local kids playing by the side of the road and they actually ran onto the road.. the bikes just rode past them like nobody's business. All you really need to be aware is your personal space say 2m around you. Walk at a constant speed and the bikes will ride around u. I find ladies and older guys drive slowest. Teenagers are faster, but its ok lah

I stayed in HCMC for 4 days, which is a bit much cos the last day i'm itching to go back Singapore liao... also if you can go back hotel room to rest 11-2pm as the heat is really tough to stay out. Its a unique city with friendly ppl! drink plenty of the coffee, its the BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    np. you might want to consider staying more nights at other places? ok la, maybe i just can't stand the noise. it even gave my friend a headache bad enough to pop a panadol. oh, when you are wandering around the city, and crossing roads, just cross with the locals. don't hesitate! even with pedestrain crossings, vehicles might not stop. you goto step out onto the road and walk bravely across with the vehicles whizzing pass you infront and behind you. death defying stunts. cross with the locals (or with a group) if possible.

do visit the post office, church, museums etc around there.bargain when you buy stuffs.

Woah...advices from girl is sure to be different from guys. lol....talking about bargaining and shopping. Hehe

Any phrases to teach me? Like "how much"? "cheaper can"? lol
    5DMk2

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Woah...advices from girl is sure to be different from guys. lol....talking about bargaining and shopping. Hehe

Usually they shld know a bit of english or if you are lucky, Chinese! They'll whip out their calculator to show you the price. If you are not satisfied, ask if u could key in a price for him/her. Then work around there la you prob would want to look at the place their shops are situated and the quality of stuffs before slashing your price la.
    Licence to shoot.

Hi,

IMO, for a 4D3N, you will be too tired with too many places. Best in to stay at HCMC, explore more, while taking only a day trip to nearby places.

For day trip, you can easily book when you reach HCMC. English is quite commonly use in HCMC so not a problem. Walk around the tour agent, compare price and decide. Usually for next day departure, they will require you pay / confirm before 5 or 6 pm the day before.

You will stay in Pham Ngu Lao area? there got many tour agents around. For Mekong Delta trip, got 2 types: one day (usually only stop at My Tho) and 2 days (My Tho and Can Tho). I've only join the one day trip, for 2 days you will pay slightly more, and will able to go another city (Can Tho) further into the delta. Also will have the floating market if not wrong.

For Cu Chi you may also take one day or half day trip.

My advice, if you really like the Mekong Delta, you can spend a night there. So you can make your trip in this way
    1st day arrive, walk around, book tour
    2nd day walk around
    3rd day early morning check out, go the Mekong delata
    4th day return to HCMC around 6 pm

Note that the Mekong delta trip usually return to HCMC earliest by 5.30pm (be it one day or 2 day trip), so do note your flight time back to SG if you go for 2 days.

Most shop sales person knows basic English. They will use a calculator to show you the price, and give the calculator to you to show them 'your desired price'.

Refer to Lonely planet, you may borrow from NLB. they got some basic Vietnamese phrases.

For HCMC - walk around the street can consume whole day I feel - Reuniification palace, Cathedral, Post office, ...And don't forget the ChinaTown.
    Do visit Ben Thanh (spelling may wrong) market. The Cashew nuts is good price.

night86mare, any info on the budget hostels/ lodging in mui ne?
    i stayed in my my art house. decently priced, clean and security seems fine, they lock the shutters at night.

bathroom is clean too, but it's no hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i stayed in my my art house. decently priced, clean and security seems fine, they lock the shutters at night.

bathroom is clean too, but it's no hotel.
    I saw My Arthouse in the lodging list that i found....how about lodging at Mui Ne? Did you stayed overnight there? any recommendation?
    5DMk2

I saw My Arthouse in the lodging list that i found....how about lodging at Mui Ne? Did you stayed overnight there? any recommendation?
    hrm, i can't remember where i stayed in mui ne.. but it was ok too. somewhere along the beach, most of those places look decent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm, i can't remember where i stayed in mui ne.. but it was ok too. somewhere along the beach, most of those places look decent to me.
    I researched n dun seems to find rates for the lodging. It appears that only resorts and hotels available...hardly any hostels? Could you still rmber how much u paid for the lodging at mui ne?
    5DMk2

I researched n dun seems to find rates for the lodging. It appears that only resorts and hotels available...hardly any hostels? Could you still rmber how much u paid for the lodging at mui ne?
    hrm, it wasn't expensive for sure.

i think it was more like a guesthouse..

should be this one here, the pictures seem to tally with my memories.

http://www.muinebeach.net/hiephoa/index.htm

15-25usd / night

Hi there,

last time I travelled in Vietnam for about 21 days. If you are staying in hostels, you can check out bookhostel.com. I paid about around 8 USD per head.

For HCMC, I think a worthwhile visit is Cu chi tunnels (although its probably packaged with a visit to the Cao Dai Temple). That will take about half a day or abit more. It's relatively cheap over there. The rates stated in the travel guides are reliable, so you check them out. They drive you there in a bus and there is a tour guide to show you around and explain everything.

Vung Tau is a nice beach. My preference is Nha Trang or Hoi An.

I personally find Mekong Delta tour not so interesting. You get onto a boat ride...they bring you see river market, some local rice paper making and some place to eat.

If you are staying in backpackers' hostel in HCMC, its pretty easy to find sinh cafe as the hostels are lined up in a street and you can easily ask for directions or book straight from your lodging.

Sinh Cafe is more reliable. I had bad experience with one agency before. So for me as much as possible I will stick to Sinh Cafe.

Food wise you must try the Pho (vietnamese rice noodle), their home-made yogurt, and if you don't mind..try the duck embryo (I don't know what you call that...basically duck egg with unborn duck inside....supposed to be their local delicacy i think). Pretty safe to eat from the streetside esp where there are vietnamese eating. Just do the assessment at your discretion. You probably have to research where to find good Pho as there are really good ones and average ones. I forgot where was the shophouse my friend brought me to.

For money i think its okay for you the change into vietnamese dong here in SG. For my time which is about 3 years back, the exchange rate offered at the departmental store in HCMC was slightly better (not sure about now). Note that the furthur you travel north out of HCMC the lower the rates.

HCMC has buildings nice architecture. So you can spend a day walking around taking photos and shopping. You can also try take their bus. Just write down a the vietnamese name on a piece of paper and show it to the bus driver. I think he should be kind enough to direct you where to alight.

Enjoy your trip!

Blog Entries

these tours are common and almost everyone who has been to HCM has done one....... its like a first time visitor to Singapore worried he cannot find a whole-day Singapore tour where he visits Jurong Bird Park, Mandai Zoo, Haw Par Villa and Mt Faber.

Do sufficient research but dont over-research or micro-research..... it dilutes the fun of discovery
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12